z

Young Writers Society



Flow

by Daatura


Alone, the boat swayed and creaked atop the still, sickly stream. With a firm grip around his driftwood paddle, Thome moved gracefully over the water. Small droplets of sweat trickled down his arms and he breathed in low, hoarse manner. The sun beat down on him, and the air was stuffy; the entire marsh seemed to be drooping and melting under the sun's rays like green ice cream. Thome kept up his slow pace, and gazed with empty eyes through the cardboard box he wore over his head as relic of his home village. It must have been around fifteen or twenty years since Thome had left the idyllic, Arcadian valley fields he used to call home. He missed it, he missed his old life, his old home. He longed to return.

But the marsh was his home now, and age had made him reluctantly accept that things would never be like they were before. He twitched.

A bird begins to sing a soft melody in the distance as Thome's little riverboat flows on. The water ripples underneath him as he moves, giving a sort of life to the otherwise dead stream. The trees of the forest shoot up like organic skyscrapers, their green tops brushing up the clouds. Life and warmth pulsate from all sides, buzzing white specks dancing above the water.

Life goes on.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
192 Reviews


Points: 19207
Reviews: 192

Donate
Sun May 26, 2013 5:08 am
EloquentDragon wrote a review...



Thome---what a great name, Thome, Thome, Thome… (sorry, it’s late)

First of all, this is good. I love the “flowing description.”

Two things bugged me---the sweat on his arm (I don’t know where you’re from, but my arms don’t exactly sweat like that… my armpits sweat, and my back, but not my arms) and the green ice cream part. It does not seem to me like this would be the sort of world where ice cream can be conveniently used as a metaphor… not to mention that marshes aren’t exactly evocative of “green ice cream,” in my opinion anyways.

Those are just minor though, the biggest problem that I had with this is that it is so short! Short stories are, by nature, short… but I’ve read some that could have been considered a short novel. That being said, I think you should expand on this. Right now, it reads more like lyrical poetry than a narrative… I would suggest adding some conflict in there, that’s what makes a story a story after all. I was also disappointed with the ending: it fell flat. There is a surreal element here, you could do so much more. I was hoping for a more haunting end, something that would be memorable and encapsulating of the piece as a whole.

This piece could be excellent, it just needs… more. As is, it’s missing. Like an old over-turned canoe lying outcast on the shore of a marsh. ;)

-ED




User avatar
213 Reviews


Points: 150
Reviews: 213

Donate
Sat May 25, 2013 12:39 am
dark says...



Him this is very interesting. I like the way you wrote this little story here. Very nice I must say. I see no flaws, which is great of corse! Also I have no concerns here, which is also great. Keep up the great work!




User avatar
160 Reviews


Points: 246
Reviews: 160

Donate
Fri May 24, 2013 4:58 pm
Rurouni wrote a review...



This is really good. I have one thing though.

It is: Small droplets of sweat trickled down his arms and he breathed in low, hoarse manner.

I think it should be: Small droplets of sweat trickled down his arms and he breathed in a low, hoarse manner.

Other then that its really good, almost sad. It gives me a feeling of sadness in it.

Other then that I really liked it! It was neat and cool.

Thanks,
pegasusgirl2





In any free society, the conflict between social conformity and individual liberty is permanent, unresolvable, and necessary.
— Kathleen Norris