z

Young Writers Society



The Existential Crisis of a Professional YouTube Commentor

by Cub


This might be a little premature, considering I submitted my last story yesterday, but the deadline is coming up, so here's another story I'm submitting to the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards. Please review, and I hope you enjoy!

THE EXISTENTIAL CRISIS OF A PROFESSIONAL YOUTUBE COMMENTOR

It is an established fact in the world that there are some things you cannot avoid.

Writer’s block is one of those things.

I’m an aspiring writer, which means I wait tables at McDonalds and write on the side. It’s not so bad, really. The rough part is the face people give me when I tell them I’m a writer. It goes a little bit like this:

"So, what’s your job?"

"I’m a writer!"

This exclamation point signifies my naive hope that this time will be different.

"No, no--what’s your real job?"

"Writing is a real job!"

Now, this exclamation point differs from the earlier one in meaning. This one’s expressing my irritation, but also my avoidance of the truth. The truth is that writing, while being a real job, isn’t the best money-earner when you’re starting out. And I, a fresh-out-of-college loser with a degree in Creative Writing, am only just realizing that I really need a day job.

"Uh, yeah, whatever. Anyway, did you hear about that new movie?"

The ‘uh, yeah, whatever’ part of that statement signifies that my opponent will remain contemptuous of writers for his or her entire life but doesn’t really want to push the issue with me in particular. I’d say that was because the eponymous person knows I’d route them in an argument, but the reality is that he or she is so certain of his or her correctness, and doesn’t want to waste time arguing with a loser like me.

Last Monday, after dealing with that daily, unpleasant life experience with my coworker (a scrawny sixteen-year-old high school dropout who really shouldn’t be judging me), I returned to trying to defeat writer’s block.

I’d been dealing with it for the last few weeks, and my mind was sick and tired of that dreadful feeling. There are only so many times a writer can deal with loss of creativity before spontaneously combusting, and I was near that point.

My mind just couldn’t come up with anything! You see, I was planning to enter a short story competition, one with fabulous prizes and amazing guest speakers. I had planned to get a huge cash prize and use it to finally pay off my student loans. The problem was that as soon as I looked up the contest, and examined previous submissions, I was struck with that horrid feeling of being out of my league. Suddenly my brain choked up, and my personal critic started rejecting anything my tired brain came up with that wasn’t Shakespeare.

Now, I’m not Shakespeare by far. My stories might look like they have the quality of Shakespeare, but actually they need a little polishing. Anyway, I couldn’t come up with anything.

I spent my nightly writing time staring at a blank screen, before giving up and watching cat videos on You Tube. Now, don’t get me wrong. I practiced my writing. I worked on my persuasive essay skills by posting tons of pointlessly political comments on random videos. All I ended up with were a ton of dislikes, and no story ideas.

So here I was, in a McDonalds, staring at the wall and trying to ignore my coworker’s constant chatter about the latest movies. This coworker, Mo (or something like that), paused his talking to look at me.

"Uh, why do you have a German Shepherd on your lap, and why is it wearing a pink tiara?"

I blinked, and then looked down to see the aforementioned canine on my lap. It licked its face. I tried to remember what it was doing here. The dog was certainly very familiar, being a large and rather ferocious looking beast. I scratched my head, and then my eyes widened as I realized the truth.

Somehow, my boss had forgotten her pet here, the formidable guard dog sitting on my lap. She had just left for her house. Still, I had to check to make sure. There it was. The proof. The growling dog’s collar said in bold letters, ‘SWEETIE PIE’. My boss had mentioned before that Sweetie Pie was her dog’s name. I shook my head ruefully. My boss didn’t have a phone, which meant I’d have to drop off the dog at her house.

Frankly, I was a little bit scared of doing so.

You see, my boss may have run the McDonalds I worked at, but that wasn’t her full-time job. She worked an extra job as a ‘Licensed Neighborhood Cat Lady.’ As to why she had a dog, well, she had gone to a shelter to pick up a cat the owners had told her about earlier. Unfortunately, they had thought she was asking about a dog instead. She had almost returned Sweetie Pie, but the German Shepherd (then a puppy), had been so adorable that my boss, in an Anne of Green Gables moment, had adopted it.

Anyway, my boss, being a Cat Lady, was mildly insane. I really didn’t want to have to confront her at her house. Still, Mo was giggling frantically, having already figured it out. It appeared that it was too late for me to get out of the duty. Mo wiped his eyes several times, then said quickly,

"Sorry, man. Have fun visiting the boss!"

I ran out the door, pulling unsuccessfully at Sweetie Pie’s leash. The streets were crowded, and I was tired. The week hadn’t been going well for me, not just in work. I’d had a friend read one of my stories, and he had told me, in plain terms, that I was a grossly incompetent writer. The story itself was one of my trashiest, but he was still right. I couldn’t even come up with a good idea! What was worse, I was starting to realize that I didn’t even enjoy writing that much. Why I got a degree in it, I didn’t know.

Around a quarter of a mile from my boss’ house, Sweetie Pie sat down and would not budge. I ran in place for about ten minutes, before giving up. Sweetie Pie licked himself once or twice, and I yawned. My eyes suddenly stretched forward.

A fortune teller’s booth! It was just a small shop with a grimy neon sign, and I knew zodiacs and what not were fake, but I was in the perfect state of mind to be drawn into such things. What’s more, Sweetie Pie’s leash was long enough that I could sit inside the shop and he could sit outside, and we could both be happy.

I paid the check and sat down at a rickety table in front of a long-legged woman smoking a cigarette. She puffed on it once or twice, and I, taking that as encouragement, launched into my life story about how I was a down-on-his-luck genius who couldn’t get his magnum opus published, despite its potential for saving the world. She listened, looking more and more bored, and finally stepped in.

"Look, mister, I’m only here to give you a very vague and obviously fake prediction of your future. I’m not a psychologist."

"Yeah, but. . ."

She jerked the cigarette out again.

"Here’s what I can tell. You’re arrogant and stupid. You need to improve your writing, but instead you’re acting like you’re an artistic genius. You don’t even want to write that much. Maybe find another career path?"

I sighed.

"What kind of career is there for an arrogant, selfish idiot like me, according to your words?"

She puffed out some more smoke.

"Well, you’d make a pretty good politician."

I left the shop, only to discover that Sweetie Pie was gone. The leash was empty, and he was nowhere to be found. The tiara was the only thing left, lying on the ground in a pink crumpled mess. I sighed. I really didn’t want to put in the effort to go look for Sweetie Pie. I also hated my job at McDonalds. This was a perfect chance to get fired!

At that moment, I regret to say that I forgot I was depending on McDonalds for my household income.

I raced over to my boss’ house, jubilantly prepared to tell her that I had lost Sweetie Pie. Unfortunately, right then and there, I ran into Mo. For some reason he was standing in the middle of the crosswalk, frowning gloomily.

"What is it?"

He pounded his hand into his fist.

"So, while you’re gone, I happily serve a couple of people. Then, I look up. There’s Sweetie Pie, sitting in the middle of the restaurant. He scared away all of the customers! Let me guess--you took the dog out a couple feet, then let him back in. After that, why not just blow off work?"

"Uh. . ."

"Now here’s the dog. Drop her off at the boss’ house before I put you in the chicken nugget mixer!"

My face red, I headed over to the boss’ house, and left Sweetie Pie to sit on the front step, being too scared of the boss to actually enter her home.

 After that, I walked back to the McDonalds, pondering over the day. It had been an odd experience, to say the least. All I could think was that suddenly I had something to write about, as well as a new idea for a career path. I felt incredibly happy.

My joy diffused, however, when I entered the restaurant.

Mo was glowering at me with a vengeance, and Sweetie Pie was sitting in the middle of the kitchen.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1228 Reviews


Points: 144000
Reviews: 1228

Donate
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:39 am
alliyah wrote a review...



Hey Cub! :) I hope you're doing well today!

I have a few suggestions on the reviewing front - I don't normally review novels or short stories so please take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

1) I think working on showing rather than telling will go a long way here. Especially in how you presented the plot elements. Rather than just going out and saying the conflict or what the speaker's intentions are at every corner, give the reader a little room to maneuver and interpret. Show what you mean through dialogue and details and action rather than giving it away by always saying everything directly.

2) Another plot critique. I think you're almost working with too many plot ends at once. I felt like i was running up the stairs two at a time to keep up with what was happening in the piece. Take the conflict down a notch and then I would suggest trying to ease readers into what's happening rather than throwing them all these twists and turns right out of the gate.

3) My last suggestion is I wanted a bit more background on the characters on 2 fronts.
First - I want to know more about the speaker's backstory and motivation for doing what they're doing. I felt like the speaker was kind of thrown in there, and I had a hard time understanding why they were doing what they did or why they were so passionate about everything -- I think they were a unique and interesting character but I just needed to know more about how they worked I guess.

Second - The characters the main speaker interacts with could use a little more dimesion and development. The characters in the story are the easiest points for a reader to connect with and see themselves within the story, so taking a little extra time and here and there to develop the characterization can go a long way.

Overall, I'm curious to see what else you'll write as far as short stories go. And I think this was a unique angle for a short story to come from.

Best of luck in your future writing!

This Review has been brought to you by Team Werewolves!
Happy Review Day!




Cub says...


Thanks for the review! I've been worried about showing vs telling, and it's really nice of you to confirm that I need work there! All advice really goes a long way, so your help is appreciated!



alliyah says...


No problem! :D



User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:29 am
Brigadier wrote a review...



Hey there Cub and happy review day.

My first thought after reading the title and description of this work was something along the lines of "oh joy, another edgy story with an open plot". I just came off reviewing a piece whose substance was probably created because the writer wanted to be different, and that's a similar vibe as to what I'm getting off this piece. I can honestly say that there was nothing attractive about your piece from the get go but for some reason I'm still going to review it.
Let's just do this in the format of a couple of things that stuck out to me and then move into whatever.

I’m an aspiring writer, which means I wait tables at McDonalds and write on the side.

Usually I take things from the very top and move down but this was really what I considered to be the first real line. And obviously I'm a bit dissatisfied with it, because it oozes out fake drama and convenient plot excuses. Not to like insult your baseline idea but basically yeah, to point out how this isn't really enough to write a story off of. It really is a dime a dozen plot and based on what it's surrounded by, this airplane ain't taking off anytime soon.

The plot doesn't sit still for three seconds and I had to reread this three or four times, to even figure out what was going on. Your pacing is way out of whack because the feeling of this work, is like it's taking place over a 5 minute period. If you want to start your editing on anything, start there, where a lot of the harmful side effects are being created. Nothing is clear about what is going on in terms of a main character or any of their interactions, which I'm guessing your explanation to me, is going to be "It's part of my style." I will not accept this answer as justification for any of the parts of this story that I question because there is always an actual reason there.

My mind just couldn’t come up with anything!

An exclamation point here? Really? Your punctuation and dialogue are really in need of some repair and it would probably be good to add a bit more dialogue. At the moment, all we have are some walls of texts and some mini walls of text, neither of which is attractive in a piece. I find myself wondering if there are actually any other characters or if this is all going on in the narrator's mind, because I sure as heck don't see any interactions going on. There's like the dog and a super confusing back story, but then we never hear anything else about the main point, making me doubtful in any ability of yours to possibly fix this story.

Perhaps it's because I'm not young, cool, hip or edgy enough, but I really found no satisfaction in anything presented in this work. I would go on with this review but that would really just open it up to an altercation, so I think I'll just be heading out. If you'd like further feedback than this, my inbox is always open.




Cub says...


Thanks for the review! Yeah, rereading I'm seeing what you mean! I was going for an absurdist feel, but I think I kind of failed there lol! Thanks for the help--I'll work hard to improve!



Random avatar

Points: 3566
Reviews: 223

Donate
Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:42 am
Mathy wrote a review...



This is ZeldaIsShiek here to over-analyze a long "short" story and the future Scholastic Awards winner for short stories! Congratulations in advance, by the way. You totally deserve to win that award for this amazing story! Let's begin the review!

This short story was truly amazing, and the fact that it was a parody of the short story contest that you are currently entering! It's a great way to Deadpool yourself a Fourth-wall break. Anyway, I really like this and feel like it could be a great story one day that is celebrated by many and loved by all who read it. Great work on building suspense and conveying the climax in such a creative way! I really respect how you did that, and I think that you are an amazing author. The only way I can see that you can improve it is by making it slightly shorter and less convoluted. There's a lot going on in both the real world, and the dream world in your short story. Maybe you could shorten it a bit. Other than that, you have that award already! Keep writing, and never stop believing in yourself!




Cub says...


Thanks a ton for the review! I'll definitely set to work paring it down--there is a bit too much going on there!



User avatar
561 Reviews


Points: 31500
Reviews: 561

Donate
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:28 pm
Atticus says...



"You'd make a good politician" best part of the story! That was hilarious!




Cub says...


Thanks!




Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.
— Samuel Butler