hotels

by Craz

I never understood the disdain some people had for staying in a hotel as an option for a vacation. Not as simply a place to stay at while they do other things, but an entire event in of itself. They seem so eager to leave, with their specially purchased vacation leather sandals or the squeakiness of the polish on their moderately expensive business shoes tapping and flapping across the tiled lobby floor, straight for the shining glass doors. It's almost like they intentionally ignore the details about their hotel, despite paying an exuberant amount of money to stay there. I guess they were only thinking about what to do outside of their rented rooms, in the bustle of family-oriented activities, tourist attractions, and meetings.

I wasn't ever all that eager to leave. After frequent trips to various hotels, something about them became fascinating, and the child version of me grew to love and appreciate how at home I felt in them. I would walk barefoot down the long ornate hallways, enjoying the satisfying feel of my heels hitting the carpet and feeling the hardness of the concrete ground beneath bounce up through my knees. When I ran, I felt each slap of my feet in my jaw, yet every sound I made was muted and quiet as if I was wrapped up in their thick quilted comforters that had the texture of a cloud. Sometimes I could hear conversations through the walls, whole lives playing out in real time, and my curious ears were there in that moment to briefly spy in on them. I would try to picture what they looked like and then soon dart away from outside their doors in giddy fear of getting caught.

I was almost always the first to wake in the morning, and then I would impatiently nudge my brother until he slapped my arm, an indication and ritual that confirmed that he was indeed awake. We would sneak down to the lobby, still barefooted and visibly in the clothes that we had slept in that previous night, and he would load up pastries and yogurt containers while I was in charge of making the waffles to perfection. The morning news droned on in the background and much older hotel guests meandered around the bagels. Our first few hours would then be spent sitting cross-legged at the foot of our mother's bed, who was greeted by our bounty of breakfast foods spread on top of her covers, while we watched reruns of our favorite cartoons.

The rest of the day was dedicated to spending time in the hotel pool. Here, every sound and breath echoed and a shout sounded like the cry of some mystical beast. The gentle lapping of the water against the concrete sides of the pool was like the gentle slap of fins on a polished surface. I imagined a giant underwater creature lived in it, invisible to my inferior human eyes, whose underwater wings gently cut through the surface and created the miniature waves that continuously bounced off of each other, playfully and nonsensically. The air was perferated with the pungent smell of chlorine. By the end of the night, my skin would have the everpresent sticky texture of chemicals, the hotel soap unable to completely remove the odd sensation, and my fingers would be shriveled like prunes. I would lay in my half of the bed and dream in blissful childhood ignorance and wait for the next morning to begin.

Staying in hotels was a vacation for me all in of itself. I didn't need anything outside of the comfort of the decorated wallpaper that touched on every wall, nothing outside of the crisp white sheets tightly tucked into the thick mattresses by the mysterious hands of an unseen housekeeper, or anything that I couldn't get from a vending machine stocked with my favorite junk food that was kept down a floor. I did not sense that there was nothing more than just pure enjoyment of each other's company that kept our family of three on the road, somehow not concerned with the whereabouts of the fourth member of our family. My younger self could not comprehend the abnormality of our situation. My younger self only recognized it as a time of happiness which I knew then that it stood out compared to times when we were not "on vacation". So, I grew up with an internalized fondness for staying in hotels.

Maybe I am the only one who has thought like this. Maybe I am being melodramatic, too methodical, and romanticizing something that is nothing more than a building where people sleep and where people charge those who sleep a little too much money. Maybe my appreciation for hotels is the result of something a therapist will tell me an unpronounceable name for and slip a marmalade bottle into my empty hand. Maybe I just really like hotels.

AnimalQueen wrote a review...

AnimalQueen here! I loved the story! I can relate to this kid, because as a child, I too enjoyed hotels. I loved that we had cable TV and a pool to swim in. I loved that there was so much to choose from at breakfast.

But I didn't stay in hotels half as much as this kid did. I guess the main character would have gotten bored, but every hotel is a different place, so he didn't. And, he used his imagination to the max.

But, the kid is too young and innocent to wonder why they stay in a hotel so much, especially without his father. Or where he is, for that matter. I think young children's minds are protecting them in this way.

The only problem I have with this is that you didn't write more about when they first started to live in hotels, and when the main character finally figured out why they were doing this. Other than that, the story was great.

AnimalQueen out!

Elinor wrote a review...

Hey Craz!

I'm Elinor, and I'm here to give you a review. I like hotels too. Like you mention, there's just something about them, about getting away from a place where you normally sleep and stepping into another world that's a little bit magical. Of course, there are different kinds of hotels, and I think each one has its own sense of charm.

I think where I was confused was the intent and the specificity. I think you have a good start here, and I can tell that this based off your own feelings about hotels. It's more of a reflective piece rather than a narrative, and that's fine, but I would still make it as specific as you can. Either fictionalize it somewhat or tell an anecdote from your own life. It seems counterintuitive, but the more specific get it the more your reader will be able to relate. I want to feel what it's like to be in the hotel, about the surroundings, about going to bed, waking up, about what the vacation even is.

Your writing is very solid, I think the story itself needs to be fleshed out. Great work! Hope this helps, and feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
Elinor

Fri May 04, 2018 4:20 am
Radrook wrote a review...

Thanks for sharing this very entertaining short story that describes a child’s innocent perception of her circumstances. The descriptions of the things she enjoys about hotels is very vivid. I especially liked the description of the hotel swimming pool with its mysterious echoes and waves. I also like how walking on thick carpets was like walking on a cloud The childish fascination in listening in on conversations, and the enthusiasm if seeing the hotels as magical places that were a vacation unto themselves.

I especially admire the way that the true circumstances are kept a secret until the very end where the family member not present during the constant travel is mentioned and how the child fails to see the abnormality of the situation. Also very dramatic was the way that the possibility of having her love of hotels being tagged with some psychiatric medical term.

Very good job! Looking forward to reading more of your compositions.
Below are some suggestions. Please feel free to ignore any that you might deem not helpful.

suggestions

The air was perferated.... [....perforated....]

seem so eager to leave, [....seemed....]

....in of itself. [....in itself]

It's almost like.... [....as if....]

....intentionally ignore.... [....intentionally ignored....]
.
...how at home I felt in them. [ ....how at home I felt.]

....and feeling the hardness of the concrete ground beneath

[....and sensing the hardness of the concrete floor beneath ]

Here, every sound.... [There,....]

....was kept down a floor [ ....kept a floor below.]

I would lay.... [....lie....]

Fri May 04, 2018 3:17 am
SnowGhost says...

I've actually never been in a hotel but I don't get why some people hate them. I think it would be kinda cool to stay in one for a while, have some new scenery.

AnimalQueen says...

I've been in hotels. When I was younger, it was just me, my brother, and my parents. That meant it wasn't too hard to pack up the family and go for a road trip. Then, along came two more sisters and another brother. We mostly stay at home now. I don't really mind though, because you can't really get comfortable in a car with six other people and their stuff.

Writing is like love: the real thing is a lot less romantic
— dragonfphoenix