I Want

by Craz

I want

My mind to be filled with

the words of old

and my ears to burn

their hate tune.

I want

Withered hands

pressing against my eyelids

and causing my head to ache

before I see color.

I want

Frayed rope

so my fingers can be bound

and my skin seared

so I cannot feel a gentle breeze.

I want

Chipped fingernails

digging into the skin of my nostrils

so I cannot

smell the sweetness of my mother.

I want

My mouth smothered

clamped, muted and silenced

so I can only speak

the words of a shriveled voice.

I want

before I can stand on my own

to be stepping on the backs of others

and for their blood to seep into my socks

Because that is what they tell me to do.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:00 am
AlyssaB506 says...

I love the amount of emotion behind each and every word in this poem. I believe it is well written and I hope you continue posting pieces of your work on here!

BrittleBird says...

I really love this! Artfully penned and so full of meaning...great work!

Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:26 pm
Morrigan wrote a review...

Hey there, Craz.

All right, man, I'm going to be honest. I'm really confused.

Reading the poem on its own-- This could be about anything, really. The way a dramatic teenager feels inside. A protest poem about lack of freedom of speech. Feeling pained because of a disease.

Only by looking at the outside clues can I begin to understand what it's about. The description tells us that an unborn child is thinking these things, but the genre is satire. So what you're saying is that the fetus doesn't want these things. Okay. Got the point. However, you need to convey that it's about a fetus in the poem itself. In the outside world, the only description you're going to get is your title. Perhaps you should change your title to the description. It would help everyone understand what this is about without having a description.

The first section is really confusing, as well. How do ears burn things?

If you're talking about the process of abortion, I highly doubt that a) the rope would be frayed and b) that the abortionist's fingernails would be chipped. They're usually pretty good about that kind of thing because they want the person undergoing the procedure to be healthy.

I feel like this poem is more based in emotion than reality, and I'd take a closer look at what you're saying to make the world more real to the reader. I hope you find this review useful to you! Happy writing!

Craz says...

I can understand how this can be a bit confusing. The direction/ theme of this poem is traditional vs. modern, conformity vs. individuality, society vs. identity. The narrator is an unborn child looking upon the world; however, the fetus is not a direct force acting in the poem, but a symbol of a mind that has not been influenced by society yet. And I believe that an aspect of allusiveness is essential to poetry, because poetry is defining emotion, and emotion cannot be described undoubtedly. If I clearly said "This is about an unborn child" in the title, then it will lose some of that aspect poetry entails.

And the ears aren't burning; when hearing something unpleasant, or more commonly bad gossip, your ears "burn". It's an expression.

"Frayed rope" and "chipped fingernails" are expressing age, not an abortion in the making. I tried to make this congruent with "withered hands" and "the words of old." Throughout the poem, I also tried to convey that this was indeed in the view of a child by using "before I see color", "smell the sweetness of my mother" and "before I can stand on my own."

Don't take this the wrong way - I really do appreciate the criticism. I see what you're saying when you mean that I was being too vague, and this helped me see how my poem can be taken a different way than I intended. Thank you, again, for your review. :)

magpie says...

Thanks for explaining!

Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:28 am
TiffanyToy wrote a review...

Hi, Craz!!

I think this is really cool! You have some true talent here! I really love the topic here! I have seen no spelling/grammatical errors so great job.

I also noticed that in every line/ the next sentence, you capitalized the first letter of the first two lines of that sentence. I am sure this is intentional because it showed in each sentence.

Great job! I really love this!

Keep writing!!,
~Tiff

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You’re moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You’ve just crossed over into… the Twilight Zone.
— Rod Serling