12+

Devine Retribution

by CotardDelusionz

How much will you take from me

I scream forgive me

How much will you take from me

My body withers away like fall leaves

I pray for strength every day

But I feel myself crumbling away

I just need a break

Why must you continue to test my faith

Is this my fate

Was I born to be a sample

My blood meant to be an example

When you let the devil trample

How much will you take from me

I swear I have nothing

Till I lose another thing

Why did you do this to me

Did you not care about my dreams

There was so much I wanted to be

How much will you take from me

You made me watch my mother bleed

You made me watch my brother grieve

You made me watch my father leave

You made me watch my sister's scream

You made me cut my heartstrings

All I ever did was love and you turned it against me

You made it my biggest enemy

You gave me memories I don't want to believe

How much will you take from me

My body shakes

My eyes bulge and dilate

Pupils vibrate

Too frightened to blink

My heart races

It wants to run

Because I cannot think

I can only be

Experiencing

All the static in my mind

It's all traumatic

It makes my body frantic

My heart wants to cry

But my jaw is clenched

And my teeth grind

There is no relief

I must bleed

Pour my sickness onto these sheets

As I see the devil smiling and waiting for me

How much will you take from me

Till I take it all from myself 

Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:15 am
ariah347 wrote a review...

Hey there, CotardDelusionz. First off, I love your avatar! I hope you're hungry because I'll serve my scrum-diddly-umptious Oreo review. 😋 Here it goes...

Starting with the first cookie or what I love about this: This work has intense and raw emotions. I'm unsure if this is a personal experience or reflecting on someone else's, but overall, it is relatable and evokes a litany of feelings. There is vivid imagery that establishes the despair and suffering.

Specifically, I love this line:

My body withers away like fall leaves

Also, there is a lot of repetition that helps emphasize the pain and meaning of this work. The lines of
How much will you take from me
and
You made me
help establish the feeling of being overwhelmed and helpless. There is an excellent tone set here through the repetition, descriptions, and language choices.

Now, let's look into what can be improved or the "cream." Depending upon the reader, you may find that this may benefit from consistent structure and rhythm. There is no clear, consistent pattern regarding line length, meter, and structure. This may enhance the flow and impact to some. I usually prefer rhyme and rhythm in poetry, but ultimately, I know this is a personal choice. It is perfectly acceptable for no consistency in structure, and the poem does not suffer from it. I think mostly this is the case here. Honestly, though, I think that is a bit nit-picky and solely lies on preferences.

Lastly, let's look at what I take from this for the last cookie. I take away that the writer here has had a great deal of pain. This pain feels like trauma of some kind: abuse, a traumatic event, addiction, bullying, an accident, or loss of something or someone, either metaphorically or literally. Overall, it is profound. I relate to it. You mention, "My jaw is clenched." Upon reading this, my jaw was left wide open. Bravo! Wishing you well wherever you are in the world, »»——⍟a⍟——««

Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:19 am
Irishpride13 wrote a review...

I'm writing this review as I read the passage.

Right after get go it feels like I'm reading a poem about addiction. And then it wanders into a battle with trauma maybe abusive parents. As I read on then I get the hint of an abusive partner isolating the protagonist.

Then the passages turned to a battle of the mind battling oneself fighting with your inner demons fighting with your memories. But not being able to trust one's own memories

If this poem is written on true events it is not weakness to seek professional help or ask for help. Fight on warrior

We are great at fearing the wrong things.
— Hank Green