z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

POV You Are A Chicken Who Just Made It Back From Town

by Corvid


You’ve just made it back when the other birds come clucking,

brushing hard-earned dust from feathers and

asking their questions of people and their problems

how’d you cross the road and why

why are they asking.

you hold the silence in your crop,

a basket of fresh strawberries

in your tired, wearied beak.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
169 Reviews


Points: 33509
Reviews: 169

Donate
Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:11 pm
Rose says...



Aloha Poet!

Image

I'm here with a very short review for your poem titled "POV You Are A Chicken Who Just Made It Back From Town".
Very first of all, you have written quite a heartfelt poem here. Just eight simple lines tell a whole story. The "hard-earned", "hold the silence in your crop" and "tired, wearied beak" were concepts that literally "tell" the "story"' you can paint a clear picture in your head with those concepts.

"I've got a small suggestion that could add a nice touch to your poem. How about choosing a new title for it and keeping your current title as a brief description of what the poem is all about? This simple adjustment might give your poem a whole new look and feel, making it stand out and engage readers in a fresh and intriguing way.

That's it, that's all.
Hoping my short review has been of some value to you!

Yours in Puzzling Shadows,
Rose




User avatar
169 Reviews


Points: 33509
Reviews: 169

Donate
Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:09 pm
Rose wrote a review...






User avatar
235 Reviews


Points: 6841
Reviews: 235

Donate
Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:34 am
View Likes
4revgreen wrote a review...



I love this little poem! It just conjured up this cute little town of chickens and a tired mother chicken out doing the chores or something aha. Although it's short the language you used really does creates a clear and vivid picture in my mind; phrases such as "brushing hard-earned dust from feathers" and "a basket of fresh strawberries in your tired, wearied beak" are so subtly vivid and really spark the imagination to view this scene in my head.

I also like how the poem seems pretty open to interpretation, allowing the reader to make their own connections and find personal meaning in the words. For example, I kind of saw the basket of strawberries held in the bird's crop to perhaps symbolise the experiences and knowledge they gained on the journey, and that the other chickens will only know once they'd crossed the road themselves. Like someone with more knowledge withholding it from the young so they gain their own experiences.

Overall, I really enjoyed your short, chicken themed poem! Keep writing :-)




User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 674
Reviews: 16

Donate
Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:48 pm
View Likes
emilyrebecca wrote a review...



Hiya!!!
I'm not 100% whether you meant this as a joke, but let me tell you, I hope it is not. I really loved this poem. It's simple and domestic (in a strange chicken-y way) and the easygoing style is very pleasant to read. It's also a little bit comedic, a little bit philosophical, and again very, very good! I'll admit, I did have to look up the definition of "crop" in regards to chickens, but what I found was very interesting and I applaud you on your chicken anatomy knowledge. Speaking of the quote below, I love it. It took me a minute to really understand it in the context, but the metaphor is really a seamless one. My only real criticism, is a think this could have multiple more stanzas describing this domestic chicken life and I would happily read any more of this "Chicken Verse" any day.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and I hope this was at all helpful to you!
-emilyrebecca 🌹





akdsjfh you know that feeling where you start writing a scene but then you get bored with the scene so you move on and start writing a different scene and then you get bored with that scene so you move on to an entirely different WIP and then you get bored with that so you move on-
— AceassinOfTheMoon