z

Young Writers Society



[Preview] The Zone

by ColdZero


Hello everybody, this is a rough preview of a story I might write if enough people like it. It's called The Zone, and you'll have to read it to find out more.

----

I turned back and waved as the jeep drove off into the distance, before looking at my brother who had his eyes set on the complex in the distance.

In the distance, stood the place we would make our fortunes - Pripyat, Ukraine. You see, around a month ago a Russian Patrol Chopper had spotted some strange heat signatures inside the abandoned city. The Russian's wanted it investigated but wouldn't go themselves because of the radiation risk so they decided to turn to mercenaries like my brother and I. When we heard they where paying five hundred thousand to whoever completed the mission, my brother and I decided to take the job and split the money.

We had never done jobs like this however, all our other missions where really the dirty work that the governments wanted to be kept quiet, or freelance work for various militia like arms dealing. Although it wasn't all honest, legal work, it brought in the money and thats all that matters in end.

"Should we go in loud, or take a more quiet approach?" questioned my brother, James. Holding out two silencers. I thought about it for a second, then decided it would be better to go in silent to avoid attracting attention if anybody was there.

"Silent" he handed me the length of circular steel. I slung my new assault rifle I'd been issued with by the Russians. A G36C painted with red and black striped camouflage, it didn't fit the Russian environment, but it's appearance was pleasing and that was all I was bothered about. I placed the silencer over the barrel and twisted into place, James did the same.

We continued our trek towards the city in silence, we where hoping for a direct drop off but the Russian's refused to go any further. Around twenty minutes past and the city grew larger and larger.

We pushed through several bushes and came into a clearing, the ghost of an old amusement park. James and I split up to look around the amusement park, the large Ferris Wheel that stood still through the years, never used.

We progressed through the city when something in one of the windows caught my eye, a blurry figure seemed to pass the window, as it past it looked seemed to look directly at me. I tried to scream but I made no sound, I begun to sweat as fear washed over me.

"J-James" I finally managed to speak. He looked at me and I pointed towards the window I had seen the figure.

"What, what did you see" he asked, unaware of how I was feeling.

"Something at the -" my sentence was cut short by a blood curdling cry, it didn't sound human. James looked at me, pulling his G36C around and flicking the safety off. I mirrored his actions, before we took off without thinking of where we were going.

The adrenalin rushed through my veins as we sprinted towards a building that looked like we could loose whatever had seen us. I followed James up the nearest staircase, where he stopped to look out the window. Doubled over trying to catch my breath, I looked up to see James staring out of the window.

"We've gotta get out of here" I trembled, I didn't care about the money anymore. Whatever was in that building wasn't...human.

"I didn't see anything. Maybe it was just some furniture or something like that, and the howl was probably just a dog. Lets search more thoroughly" James always seemed overconfident, but I knew what I saw wasn't furniture, it looked at me, straight at me.

"It wasn't a dog and I saw that thing move past the window, James. We have to leave"

I straightened back up again, peering out of the window, my rifle lifted so I was ready to fire if need be. Nothing could be seen, then a pale white figure emerged from some bushes just outside of the building. I couldn't see it to well because we were on a different floor, but it was hunched over slightly so I couldn't see it's head. At first I thought it was human, but then my stomach twisted. What had first been an easy way to thousands of dollars had turned into a living nightmare...and it would only get worse.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 3103
Reviews: 3

Donate
Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:33 am
ColdZero says...



Hey guys

Thanks for the reviews, it's just a basic preview of what I might be making a story out of. I didn't really go into detail or pay much attention in the rough preview, as you can tell.

But I'll deffinetly take all your tips into consideration :elephant:




User avatar
57 Reviews


Points: 4569
Reviews: 57

Donate
Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:00 pm
Nephthys wrote a review...



ColdZero wrote:I turned back and waved as the jeep drove off into the distance, before looking at my brother who had his eyes set on the complex in the distance.


This sentence is a lot more awkward than it needs to be.
Try "I turned back and waved as the Jeep drove off into the distance. My brother was gazing into the distance, his eyes set on the complex."

ColdZero wrote:#FF0000 ">You see, Around a month ago#0000FF ">, a Russian Patrol Chopper had spotted some strange heat signatures #0000FF ">from inside the abandoned city.

ColdZero wrote:The Russian#FF0000 ">'s wanted it investigated


ColdZero wrote: When we heard they #FF0000 ">where #0000FF ">were paying five hundred thousand to whoever completed the mission, my brother and I decided to take the job and split the money.

This sentence doesn't need to be that long. Maybe: "My brother and I decided to take the job when we heard they were offering five hundred thousand dollars."

ColdZero wrote:We had never done #FF0000 ">jobs #0000FF ">a job like this however#FF0000 ">,#0000FF ">: all #0000FF ">of our other missions #FF0000 ">where #0000FF ">had just been#FF0000 ">really the dirty work that the government#FF0000 ">s wanted to #FF0000 ">be kept#0000FF ">keep quiet.

ColdZero wrote:we #FF0000 ">where#0000FF ">were hoping for a direct drop off but the #FF0000 ">Russian's #0000FF ">Russians refused to go any further. #FF0000 ">Around twenty minutes past and #0000FF ">As we approached, the city grew larger and larger.


ColdZero wrote:We pushed through several bushes and came into a clearing, the ghost of an old amusement park. James and I split up to look around#FF0000 "> the amusement park


ColdZero wrote:We#FF0000 "> progressed #0000FF ">were progressing through the city when something in one of the windows caught my eye#FF0000 ">,#0000FF ">; a blurry figure seemed to pass#0000FF "> by a#FF0000 ">the window#FF0000 ">,#0000FF ">. As it #FF0000 ">past#0000FF "> passed it #FF0000 ">looked seemed to look directly at me.

ColdZero wrote:I #FF0000 ">begun #0000FF ">began to sweat as fear washed over me.

ColdZero wrote:I pointed towards the window#0000FF "> where I had seen the figure.

ColdZero wrote: I mirrored his actions, #FF0000 ">before #0000FF ">and we took off


ColdZero wrote:we sprinted towards a building that looked like we could loose whatever had seen us.


?...

ColdZero wrote:I followed James up the nearest staircase, where he stopped to look out the window. #0000FF ">I doubled over trying to catch my breath. #FF0000 ">, I looked up to see James staring out of the window.

ColdZero wrote:I couldn't see it #FF0000 ">to#0000FF "> very well because we were on a different floor, #FF0000 ">but#0000FF "> and it was hunched over slightly so I couldn't see #FF0000 ">it's #0000FF ">its head.

ColdZero wrote:What #FF0000 ">had first been #0000FF ">we had thought was an easy way to thousands of dollars had turned into a living nightmare...and it would only get worse.


Very creepy! I think you did a great job of creating an eerie feeling. I definitely want to find out what the creature is!

It would be nice to find out more about the brothers. Right now your dialogue is kind of boring. It could be said by anyone. Maybe you could use your dialogue to help develop the characters better.




User avatar
553 Reviews


Points: 58538
Reviews: 553

Donate
Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:11 pm
MiaParamore wrote a review...



Hi ColdZero. i am your reviewer for today. If you ask me whether you should continue the story then I would say you should. I couldn't find any big mistake but yeah, the ones I found are really small but very important. I will be typing the correct form with 'orange'.

The Russian's wanted it investigated but wouldn't go themselves because of the radiation risk so they decided to turn to mercenaries like my brother and #FF8000 ">me.


Although it wasn't all honest, legal work, it brought in the money and thats all that matters in #FF8000 ">the end.


We continued our trek towards the city in silence, we #FF8000 ">were hoping for a direct drop off but the Russian's refused to go any further


We progressed through the city when something in one of the windows caught my eye, a blurry figure seemed to pass the window, as it past#FF8000 ">, it looked seemed to look directly at me.


He looked at me and I pointed towards the window #FF8000 ">where I had seen the figure.


"What, what did you see#FF8000 ">?" he asked, unaware of how I was feeling.


I couldn't see it to#FF8000 ">o well because we were on a different floor, but it was hunched over slightly so I couldn't see it's head.


Story: You have a very interesting thriller in your hand and you should go ahead with it. The MC is sensible and smart. I think you should tell us more about the building, the boys(if they are) and the atmosphere. I hope you will do that in forthcoming chapters. Best of Luck!!!!!!!!! :elephant:





XD YES !!!! EMBRACE THE POWER OF CAPS LOCK + EXCLAMATION!!!! no SHAME IN BEING EASILY EXCITABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
— Euphory