A Question Raised, an Answer Discovered

by Chrysalia

I am just as tempted towards buying unnecessary things as anyone, but how can I use my money for anything but the essential? There are millions of starving children and homeless poor in the world right now, hungry for the simple needs. How can I not save my money for the organizations that exist to help with these things, if I am not to act in some dramatic way so save this world? I know that even if I don't hike out to Pakistan to risk my life and make big speeches, I can help the dying and oppressed, by using what little I do have to give before it's too late. And if I’m gonna do so, I’m gonna have to stop buying things.

It can take a bit of a perspective switch, but it's really not so hard to see, why something as simple as buying a T.V. is messed up in the bigger picture of things. The way American lifestyle encourages us to use our money for hoarding piles of stuff, when we could be slowly (but surely) saving the world with our money... how can this be viewed as anything but insanity? In the light of a world that is falling apart, I think that every kind of power you can acquire is a responsibility, and we as Americans take this more seriously, we will contribute to a world without ignored minorities, without people that feel like helpless inmates, and a world without horrors that everyone tries not to think about. Inspired by the possibility of a world like this, I am changing my lifestyle, and I hope that you will come with me.

I refuse to give myself to the pull of consumerist overdose from this point onward, and I intend to save all money for my needs and the needs of the world. Even with local stores and thrift shops and used-book sellers like Amazon, I am going to be very careful. I am choosing to give money to organizations like the Malala Fund, and to anyone who needs it. I am choosing to save any money I receive, for higher purposes that will arise. I know it is extreme, but in an unbalanced world, we need extremists who are willing to tilt their life very far in one direction for the sake of others. Too many are amassing on the selfish side of the see-saw. I will go as far as I can because I know that I want to die with the knowledge that I gave all that I could. This is true peace, and a peace that the things we buy can only reflect.

For those who are thinking about how things can be very useful and beautiful, I am not denying the value of our things, only saying that we need to appreciate what we have. I am sure that I will end up wanting things as much as any American out there, and they will all have value... education, fascination, artistic appreciation, practical help, etc. But I am sure that I will refuse them because I believe in libraries and Nature and the possibilities already owned, because I know how much can be found for free. With a little creativity, all that I could ever ask for is in the world around me, right here right now, and I know that no matter what incredible good may lie in the unnecessary, it's still a distraction. It can help people in all sorts of ways, but is it really as good as the better world we all dream of, that we all could work towards together with time and energy and money? Of course not!

I believe that the world of peace will grow out of people who realize that they are not taking full responsibility for the power they are acquiring, and choose, without hesitance, to change this cycle. I believe it will come through the people who save their power so that they can aim it in the direction of peace. And I believe, undoubtedly, that we can be these kinds of people. Thanks for reading. Tell me what you think. And if you can, donate to something like the Malala fund, an organization that a 16-year old girl in Pakistan started, the girl who inspired me to write this. 

Amen.

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:07 am
Odd wrote a review...

Hello, I am here to review.

This was a very good essay, and it was very motivational to put someone on a path towards a better lifestyle. It is true, we all let our society of consumerism guide us, and yet we know that by letting it do so we are destroying the lives of many others, and of the Earth itself. When people ask themselves how they can help, they usually cannot come up with a good enough answer, and so they simply give up on helping. But here, you are telling everybody that it is possible, and that anybody can do it, so kudos to you on that one.

Now, there are a few things that I would like to point out which could, in my opinion, make this essay better:

I refuse to give myself to the pull of consumerist overdose from this point onward,

There seems to be a word missing here. I think the sentence would sound better if it said: the pull of a consumerist overdose or the consumerist overdose.

all that I could ever ask for in the world around me right here right now,

Here, again, I feel like there is a word missing. I think you meant to say: all that I could ever ask for in the world is around me right here, right now.

Then, at the end of that paragraph, you asked a question, so you must write a question mark:
is it really as good as the better world we all dream of, that we all could all work towards together without time and energy and money?

Also, at the end of your essay, you mention an organization that a 16-year old girl who fights for freedom from the Taliban in Pakistan started. Let me tell you, not everyone knows what this organization is, or who the girl is. Yes, you may have mentioned her earlier in your essay, but still not everyone will know you are referring to her. So, unless all of your intended audience knows who she is, I'd suggest you remind us who this girl is at the end of your essay.

Apart from that, I see nothing else wrong, and the essay is very good and convincing, so congratulations! Keep on writing!

Chrysalia says...

Thanks Odd, I love your profile pic and your review was an excellent mix of encouragement and advice. I made all the changes you suggested, I beleive. The part about specifying Malala was especially important. This actually came from a facebook post where I had the link posted. Anyway, peace be with you, I hope you have an oddly fantastical day or simply a simple day where you do whatever duties you may have with love (or both, or neither, maybe something else that is good!).

Odd says...

Thank you, my avatar is actually a drawing that I made myself! I am very glad I could be of help. Peace be with you too, and may good things come your way as well!

Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:53 am
dark wrote a review...

Rather nice few paragraphs you've got here. It's a rather clear point (I think) that you're trying to make. It's clear that this world will never change, but it's rather nice to envision that outcome. I think the problem regarding people being selfish, isn't necessarily selfish at all. Realistically, the people that live more for themselves, do so because they are afraid of ending up like the people who really need to be saved, and if they made any real effort to help, they would in a way be trading their lives for someone else. Then on the other hand there are people who don't have enough to give, even if they would like, such as myself. (Excuse me for including personal facts)

It's nice to see you being inspired enough to write this, and if you're really going to strain yourself to help larger causes, good luck! The road will be rather difficult, and you may end up having to give up a few times, but believe in yourself and you can achieve any realistic goals!

I hope at least some of my words made sense to you, continue to be inspired!

~The dark one.

Chrysalia says...

Thank you, dark one, you are most encouraging for a dark one! Good point about selfishness, I would say that much of the selfishness of America occurs subconsciously, that is, without full awareness on part of the people. I know lots of beautiful consumers! As far as not being able to help, this is what I will say-- I don't have a lot to help with either. I'm just choosing to do the best I can, which means saving up much of what I receive (pretty much all, that's what makes me extreme, but everyone has their own level of willingness) for the future rather than letting myself (for example) act on the desire for having more books on the bookshelf rather than going to the library. Doing your best certainly does not mean pushing yourself into starvation-- it means balancing out your life, so that you give to those in need just as much as you adress your own needs. The world can change, if we spread this mentality! Peace love and joy be unto you O distant wanderer, and I hope that you find your purpose in whatever way you can today. Thanks again for the encouragement, ALL your words made sense.

dark says...

You're a very wise person, Chry! Pleasure reading your words!

The strongest people are not those who show their true strength in front of us but those who win battles we know nothing about.
— Unknown