Dear mermaid on the Starbucks logo

by ChipsMcCoy

Dear mermaid on the Starbucks logo, 

I wonder which journey you made 
to end up on a coffee cup. 

I wonder how you survive behind the caffeine 
sea.

I wonder if you feel the steam sting your tail
as the hot chocolate rises.

I wonder if you get thirsty too.

I wonder if anyone even sees you. 

Yours sincerely, the "M" on the McDonalds logo. 

Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:46 am
Coffeeboyjay wrote a review...

hi i i'm here to drop a review off on what i read

First i had to get a laugh out on for reading this when you said I wonder which journey you made
to end up on a coffee cup.

sea. i i'm like lol this was so funny i couldn't believe it how the poem was saying about some McDonald's and yeah i love me some Starbucks and yeah i can't say much cause its to short for someone to read

How you can improve is on writing and thinking of more things then just like one line in to your poem you suppose to think what you see or what's going in your life or it can be a person or somebody

My compliment is where did you get Starbucks from and McDonald's anyway did you write what you see or something i wanna know whats going on what makes you wanna to write something like this its awesome keep it up but next time just write more than one line through

~jay~

Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:31 pm
Tuesday wrote a review...

Hello CapitalMonday here for a review. I want to begin by saying this is the most cutest poem i have seen before and I want to say, that you should continue to write more of these. I like how the M on McDonalds logo is worrying about the mermaid since well, what were to happen if the mermaid was thirsty but never got a drink.

Her skin would maybe scarred from the hot coffee being poured into her inside and that must be really uncomfortable for her, and when she needs to scream to say its hot they never listen since they never see her; they are always drinking the coffee in the cup.

Maybe sometimes the M on the McDonald's logo needs less attention since people look up at the golden arch and go into the place, and maybe he doesn't like this attention.

Sorry If none of this make sense and I ramble instead of helped.

CapitalMonday

Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:35 am
lauren16 says...

I love this! It's so cute! :) I like how it is like a letter to the mermaid from the "M" on the McDonald's logo. The humor is really good! Keep up the good work! I look forward to reading more from you.

Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:53 am
JinxGrey says...

Ha,that's so whimsical.I would love to have your thought process.That's wonderful.It has tasteful silliness.You have a great sense of humor.You keep up the good work.You should use write a book of humorous poems.

Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:08 pm
speakerskat wrote a review...

Hey there Kat here to review for you!

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW so cute and why wasn't I following you?! Best picture ever....

Being serious, this was totally adoreable and 45 likes nice. Such a small poem and such an interesting concept most people barley notice. I loved the little twist at the end where it was from the McDonalds logo!

Thanks for making my day better and giving me something to ponder.....is she really a mermmaid :0 ???

speakerskat says...

oh god....she is a mermaid XD

Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:58 pm
Izzy25 says...

Starbucks is delicious and everyone loves it, good choice on the title because it makes other people click on it, very eye-catching. Very nice poem. It is funny and well thought-out. Good job.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:16 pm
Cithara says...

I love this <3
I used to go to Starbucks all the time and wonder about the logo :P
I didn't even realize she was a mermaid until you said it in your poem >.< #sillyme

Well done ^.^

Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:10 pm
almurs13 wrote a review...

Wow! Seriously this is perfect. I'm really impressed with this piece.
It's so great that you turned something that seemed so ordinary to us into such a good poem.
I love the ending, very unexpected.
This is just too amazing to put it into words.
My favorite line is "I wonder how you survive behind the caffeine sea."
I will never be the same while drinking Starbucks ;)

Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:01 pm
Ciblio says...

I don't even know what to say...just...*claps* Thank you? Is that enough?
You're a genius and this was great?
I don't know! Just...*continues to clap*

Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:52 am
Vivian says...

I'm done. Just done. I wasn't expecting that ending, thanks for making me smile.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:25 am
crissymarx wrote a review...

Ok...this made me laugh so hard. I absolutely loved it! First off, the title absolutely made me click on it right away. I mean...how could you pass up on a title like that?! Anyway...good job! I do agree with the comments below that the "see" line is weird but I also get what you're trying to say so it doesn't really bother me that much at all. The overall theme of the poem was SO entertaining. Great job! Keep writing and making people laughing! There needs to be more people like you in the world :)

Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:54 pm
TimmyJake says...

Told you coffee was better. hehehe

This. was. awesome.

Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:49 pm
PeanutPhoebe says...

Hilarious! I love it so much. You totally need to write another poem to the "M" from the mermaid!

Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:49 pm
ReiiSquid says...

That was pretty cool.
That mermaid is actually a different kind of fishy mythological creature called the Museline. It was the star of a French folktale about a noble who married one thinking that she was regular human. When he finds out though, she threatens to leave him if he spills the secret. He does eventually and never sees her again.
Starbucks had a more risque Museline back in the seventies when they started serving coffee. If I remember right, they had change it because of the customers.
This was my answer about the journey she took to get onto the coffee cup!

Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:41 pm
Nica says...

I love this!!! Very funny! I've actually never noticed the mermaid on the Starbucks logo. Never really cared. Now, I'll have to actually look for it next time I'm there.

Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:39 pm
Em101cats wrote a review...

Hi ChipsMcCoy!

From now on, I will...
1. Make up a backstory of how the mermaid made it to the cup.
2. Ask the logo mermaid how it feels to be in a caffeine sea.
3. Feel if the mermaid's tail is hot from the steam.
4. Try to see if the mermaid drinks.
5. Look REALLY hard at the mermaid, then ask others to do so also.
... every time I get Starbucks.
Oh, and I'll do the same for the McDonald's "M" :D

And all that means you did a WONDERFUL job influencing your readers. Plus, you made me laugh hysterically and freak out everyone around me.

On the second to last line, I agreed a little bit with @Lylas with the whole seeing thing... UNTIL I realized what you meant was not see visually but mentally. What I mean is, if they even pay attention to the Starbucks mermaid logo. So now I believe we're on the same page.

Overall, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE your poem!!! It deserves its spot on the Featured List! And congrats about that!
Keep up the amazing writing!
~Em101cats~

ChipsMcCoy says...

Thanks! :D

Em101cats says...

;)

Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:24 pm
Astronaut says...

This is either really funny or really deep, depending on how you look at it.

ChipsMcCoy says...

Indeed that's true :P

Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:06 pm
AudreyMarie says...

I love it! Never really thought about it but I will definitely think of this poem every time I get Starbucks now :) Very clever

ChipsMcCoy says...

Thanks :D

Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:01 pm
DrFeelGood says...

*Slow Claps* Epic stuff!

ChipsMcCoy says...

Thank you :)

Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:15 pm
ThereseCricket says...

I just had to show this to my mom, Chips. This is sooo funny. ;)

ChipsMcCoy says...

hehe, thanks Therese :D

Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:38 pm
elysian wrote a review...

Haha! This is great :D Brought a smile to my face!

I also love how you personified the Logos, and I love McDonalds! Personally, I feel like you could have added more!

I think you should un-italicize the first line, since the rest of the poem isn't in italics.

Also, obviously we can see the logo so that didn't make sense

Good job though! :D

-Kamryn

ChipsMcCoy says...

Thanks :)

Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:28 pm
Firepower13 wrote a review...

Hahahaha! Nice, I never even thought about that. Poor logos.

So, nitpicking time! The first line is italicized, but the rest of the poem isn't, which looks a little weird. At the very least, I'd italicize the last line too to bring the whole thing full circle.

My other issue is with these lines:

"I wonder if you get thirsty too.

I wonder if anyone even sees you."

They rhyme, which is generally a very good thing in poems, but it this case it seems slightly awkward because the rest of your poem doesn't rhyme.

ChipsMcCoy says...

Thanks

Emrhea says...

A poem doesn't need to rhyme

Firepower13 says...

True, but it sounds strange when some of it rhymes and some of it doesn't.

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
— Captain James T. Kirk