Wrecked; wretched; relentless...

by ChernobyllyInclined

Adieu to sense.

____

Slipping dread adorned a dimly lit café, its interior like the sallow skin of the despondent. Cold hate and refuted regret ran down the brick walls in ivy. Sentience was rare, religion died; only [w]reckless wisdom remained.

A fog settled over everything. Sleep condoned the indifferent, self was replaced, love hid away from the world, too frightened to appear. The lack carried a plethora of lies; pathetic and yet effective. The people starved their resolve and blamed one another, claiming ailments and diseases that were never meant to exist. Eventually the world is what you say it is, they forgot their power and broke the chain, throwing away the knowledge that might have healed the sick and fed the hungry.

“I doubt they would have let me. I doubt they would have cared. I doubt my own doubt.”

One; crazy, she sat. Desperate collections of ideas lit nothing; burned nothing. There was no one to tell what became of nothing, for they had forgotten. The ‘definitions’--as she called the common people--had just begun to get out of work and, one at a time, they wandered into the café. Consumption was what she called their disease; for they only consumed. It was in their heads, crawling through their thoughts, licking at wounds they had forgotten. It reminded them that they merely functioned, and nothing else. She leaned back in the decrepit chair, controlling the insanity that made her want to jump and run and break.

The choice of the insanity was the main point. Had she not chosen this world? Had her ancestors chosen it for her? It was one in the same; she carried their blunders and suffered for them, alone. But the others…the others were consumed by their need to consume and the quiet vacuum of ignorance left them with nothing to carry; nothing to suffer and nothing to learn.

“I decided that I won’t decide. I decided that there is no decision. I decided that I can’t know choice from inevitability. I decided that, didn’t I?” she finished thoughtfully, gazing at the crooked ceiling above her.

It was them who spoke in her fevered mind. They were defined; so defined that the lines of their faces and hands never changed; the lines of their thoughts never broke and the line of life ripped them apart when it ended. Their definition clung to itself and lived in the agony of circular arguments that refused to ever end.

The Drowsy Kaye wrote a review...

Hey Chernobyl!

I had no idea what this is, but I loved every second of it!! Just, the language of the piece, the personal torment of the central character, even the fact that I didn't know what was going on. I just don't know what else to say!

I Loved it!!

The Drowsy Kaye.

Thu May 01, 2008 12:43 am

Hmmm...yep, you're perfect. 'Nuff said, as silly, less then worthy Peter Pan might say.

ashleylee wrote a review...

I think everybody covered most of your mistakes above so I don't have anything to correct.

But I do want to congragulate you on your creativity. This was so unique and new and I loved reading it. It was so deep and it made me think, which I love when literature makes me think.

Great Job. Sorry my review is so short but I'm kind of short on time at the moment and can't make a longer one.

I have really no advise since I think your piece is complete!

Keep Writing!

Sela Locke says...

It feels like... molasses. Like your sinking in a huge bowl of fruitcake molasses. See, this is why I don't read your notes. They're so... depressing.
That's just my opinion, of course.

-Sela

Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:05 am
Azila wrote a review...

Hi!

Slipping dread adorned a dimly lit café, its interior like the sallow skin of the despondent.
Shouldn't that be "dimly-lit"?

Eventually the world is what you say it is, they forgot their power and broke the chain, throwing away the knowledge that might have healed the sick and fed the hungry.
there should be a comma after "eventually," methinks. But I'm not sure I like that first part of the sentence ("Eventually the world is what you say it is") because it feels out of place--kind of like you're putting a common saying in the midst of literature... it's awkward.

‘I doubt they would have let me. I doubt they would have cared. I doubt my own doubt.’
Beautiful.

One; alone, crazy, she sat.
This feels a bit repetitive; if there's one, then OF COURSE she's lonely! I suggest you use one or the other, but not both. ^_~
-------------

Wow. That was thick.

I found it a bit hard to read, actually. I kept finding myself thinking I had understood a sentence, only to go back and think hard about each word in order to see the meaning. It's lovely to have a sentence like that here and there, but all of yours are like that and it was... well... exhausting to read! I agree with Imp: sometimes, more is less as far as adjectives go.

But overall, I liked this! It was a really interesting peek into the mind of your character. Is there more to this?

Hope this helps. Please PM me if you have questions/comments concerning my crit!
~Azila~

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:45 am
Poor Imp wrote a review...

Hey Chernobyl,

You rather know some of my thoughts already. But I'll sum up, so to speak, again--if briefly.

The inner dialogue, confused and tormented on doubt is brilliant. I'm more than fond of its depth; of the depth of its feeling, as well as thought. One can't really go too far in inner dialogue, at least not in the vein of Dostoyevksy.

But the beginning, yes? Your description is vivid, but it also falls a bit heavy at points.

Adjectives are apt, but only deft when pointedly placed. One atop the other looks crooked, and somewhat kills your assonance as well.

its interior like the sallow skin of the despondent.

...that's deft.

Slipping dread adorned a dimly lit café

Cold hate and refuted regret ran down the brick walls in ivy. Sentience was rare, religion died; only [w]reckless wisdom remained.

'Slipping' seems a bit slipshod--almost as if it takes some weight from 'dread'.

The second: Don't kill meaning for image, yes? To refute regret is terribly interesting. But you've stuffed it up in line with too much else to make it striking--and it feels as if you've the mass of the sun compressed into a teaspoon sometimes.

(On a sidenote: Regret and some of your other bits might fit neatly into poetry.)

Anyhow, 'tis mostly in making this cleaner that you could work. It already has enough intensity--certainly no matter of too little material.

IMP

[courtesy of the Cabassi]

The only person I know for certain I am better than is the person I used to be.
— CandyWizard