Ejected

by ChernobyllyInclined

When all gold had turned to dust, needless filth floated atop the sky like something commonplace. It didn’t know it was low and dirty because they had put it in the sky. It was fooled along with everyone else. Fooled into a torment of eternity.

“Preston? Pres, where are you?’”

“I’m not here.”

“Am I - am I alone?” The girl in grey slumped to the floor and tried to disguise a sob with too much success.

“Pretty much, yeah.” Preston--his eyes bloodshot and his curly hair in dread locks--lay on his back on the creaking bed. The light was off because there was no power. There was no power because there was no reason for there to be power. At least no reason that Preston could think of.

“Why?” It was the only question she had left in her. She thought the world had answered all the others.

“Ana. Shut up.” He didn’t like questions he couldn’t answer, and he refused to admit that he was far from unique in that respect. Terror was an emotion that was not permitted. Not knowing was terrifying.

Ana looked like a girl out of a catalog; like someone had taken scissors to an advertisement for Winter savings. Those are the kind of girls that can’t be found because they are everywhere. Her stomach cramped and she squeezed her eyes shut. At least it couldn’t get any darker.

Preston had always liked pictures. Since he could remember it had been pictures that compelled him. Pictures of flies or pictures of cars or pictures of absolutely nothing. Real things reminded him of cracked sidewalks and sleeping outside when the apartment was too full of drunks to accommodate him. Reality was something to be avoided, something to be hated. And so he turned to things that he didn’t believe in for comfort. Pictures of families or pictures of pretty houses were shoved under his bed along with crumpled advertisements for things he could never afford. It’s dark when the pretty side doesn’t exist.

“Pres?” whispered Ana, biting her hand to keep from crying, but her teeth were too sharp to really help. The pain in her hand was now as bad as the pain in her dreams. She sobbed and couldn’t find any tears.

“I’m trying to sleep.”

“What did we do wrong?”

“We are wrong.”

Ana’s sobs worsened and Preston tried to imagine light. It had to be out there somewhere. He felt like his story was so worn that he was about to slip through the fraying fabric and vanish into a picture of nothing. It had happened a millions times before. There was nothing special about killing. Where was hope when there was nothing better to hope for? Preston thought he knew the end. Ana dearly hoped he didn’t.

After a length of time that mattered to neither of them, Ana crawled over to the bed and climbed up next to Preston. It was much too dark for him to see the bruises under her eyes. Bruises from a war that couldn’t be seen. When her lips touched his cold cheek he laughed to himself and rolled off the bed.

“Go to sleep. I’m too -”

“No! Please, Pres, please stay with me.” She sat up and reached out for him.

“I’m not here, remember?”

“Please,” she choked; dark pain making her dizzy.

“I want to die, Ana. I want you to kill me. Will you do it?” The curiosity in his voice was much too nonchalant, but she had no doubt that he was absolutely serious. Ana had no answer for him and so he fell back on the bed and crept closer to her. His breath smelled feral like his words. “Wouldn’t you, babe? Wouldn’t you kill me? Why not?” He paused, kissing her gently on the cheek. “At least I wouldn’t have to live to see the baby killed.”

Convulsively, she gasped and fell off the bed. “No! No! Shut up! It isn’t - it isn’t like that!” She knew she wasn’t making any sense but he only laughed and lay back down on his back.

“It doesn’t matter. I’m already dead, right? Been dead for a long time.”

She hated him for saying it. Hated him more than all the others. If life had no value why was killing so hard? It tried to tear her eyes out.

“There might be -”

“I know, I know. Someone might want it. But it doesn’t matter. There is no world for it grow up in--it doesn’t matter.” He had to believe it. If there was something light and pretty out there then he would have to be angry that he didn’t know about it. Who would he be angry at? It took energy to be angry. Easier to go to sleep.

“Where’s home?” Shakily, she climbed back onto the bed and into his arms. His skin was cold and slippery.

“Neverland. Dream about it, babe. It doesn’t exist.”

______

Morning threw its dusty fingers on the crumpled girl and boy who were no longer asleep--both wished they were. A light, slippery kind of noise came crawling under the door and through the window. The thing that Preston couldn’t believe in happened right outside his door.

“It’s Sunday.”

“Yesterday was Sunday.”

“Right.”

The girl got up, the bruises faded and her hair in a dark veil over face. She rubbed her eyes in mechanical circles and stared out the window. The sun was bright and warm and October seemed like it had forgotten its story and which way it was supposed to run.

“I have to - to go at ten. Will you--”

Preston wasn‘t listening, and thus felt compelled to pick up a broken picture frame off the dirty floor. “When I was eleven my mom tried to send me to Catholic School. I was already getting into drugs and she thought that maybe - maybe it would help. I remember the priest who taught religion class. He always wore Hawaiian shirts and funny hats and the kids didn’t like him very much. One day he told us about babies. He told us that babies were like kites that try to fly in a room without fans. He said they were impossible but they came anyway. And then he told us about how people kill babies. He told us that people forgot that babies defied gravity and that they threw them out like a kite on a still day. They forgot that babies could fly without the wind. I didn’t really get it then. But now I do. My baby can’t fly.”

Preston laughed a little to himself and then sat up. Ana slipped off the bed and held tightly to a stained pillow.

“I never liked doctors anyway. You can go it alone.” And with that, he slumped out of the bedroom and let the door fall closed behind him. Taking a deep breath, Ana dragged herself to her feet and walked in his footsteps through the door. The other room was bright in a dank way and Preston was drinking out of the milk carton.

“Pres…I don’t think I should--”

“Don’t think about it,” muttered Preston, wiping his mouth on his sleeve.

“You have to listen to me!” she cried, gripping the hem of her t-shirt desperately.

“It’s too late.” He dropped the milk carton on the ground and the floor was suddenly white again. She stared at him for a moment, clenching and unclenching her fists in agony. She wanted to ask him to help. Ask him for anything. But she couldn’t. Fingernails breaking against her palm, she grabbed the keys and half-ran out of the apartment. The door made a ringing blast behind her. Preston stepped into the spilled milk and got his socks all wet.

The apartment was deadly quiet but for the squelch of liquid polyester and Preston pictured something. He pictured a baby. A baby that could fly when the big people got out there scary weapons. And then he pictured Ana with a dead child resting forever on her chest. Dark rivulets of blood stained her pale skin and the cold metal of the operation table reflected a piercing sun.

He tried to run his hands through his hair and they got stuck. Mumbling something beyond comprehension, he slid to the floor into the cold milk.

______

It was nine forty-five and a dark heat settled amid smog and filth. A smell like tortured rain slipped into the head of a half-dressed girl in tiny shorts and a baggy sweatshirt. Ana glanced down at her white legs; they were shaking. Slamming the car door with little force, she stumbled to the tinted doors.

She couldn’t see inside and she knew that if she could she would likely walk away. It was hiding from her. Pres was right, it was too late. Shoving the door open, she walked into the killing place.

Carlito wrote a review...

ChernobyllyInclined wrote:When all gold had turned to dust, needless filth floated atop the sky like something commonplace. It didn’t know it was low and dirty because they had put it in the sky. It was fooled along with everyone else. Fooled into a torment of eternity.

You are really good at openings :)
Everything I've read of yours so far has had a great opening.

ChernobyllyInclined wrote:Those are the kind of girls that can’t be found because they are everywhere.

I liked this line.

ChernobyllyInclined wrote:“What did we do wrong?”

“We are wrong.”

Now I'm intrigued. Why are they wrong? Why are they living with no power and in filth and what not?
Ana already kind of annoys me. She is so emotional and and weak-feeling.

ChernobyllyInclined wrote:Ana’s sobs worsened and Preston tried to imagine light. It had to be out there somewhere. He felt like his story was so worn that he was about to slip through the fraying fabric and vanish into a picture of nothing. It had happened a million[s]s[/s] times before. There was nothing special about killing. Where was hope when there was nothing better to hope for? Preston thought he knew the end. Ana dearly hoped he didn’t.

I really like this underlined portion. I like the way you wrote it, it has the air of mystery to it. Especially 'it had happened a million times before' and 'nothing special about killing.'
Who are these people?

ChernobyllyInclined wrote:“I want to die, Ana. I want you to kill me. Will you do it?” The curiosity in his voice was much too nonchalant, but she had no doubt that he was absolutely serious. Ana had no answer for him and so he fell back on the bed and crept closer to her. His breath smelled feral like his words. “Wouldn’t you, babe? Wouldn’t you kill me? Why not?” He paused, kissing her gently on the cheek. “At least I wouldn’t have to live to see the baby killed.”

Woah. What? Not living to see the baby killed?

ChernobyllyInclined wrote:She hated him for saying it. Hated him more than all the others. If life had no value why was killing so hard? It tried to tear her eyes out.

This line didn't really fit in with the rest in my opinion.

ChernobyllyInclined wrote:“I know, I know. Someone might want it. But it doesn’t matter. There is no world for it grow up in--it doesn’t matter.” He had to believe it. If there was something light and pretty out there then he would have to be angry that he didn’t know about it. Who would he be angry at? It took energy to be angry. Easier to go to sleep.

Wait, so is she pregnant with his baby?

ChernobyllyInclined wrote:“It’s Sunday.”

“Yesterday was Sunday.”

“Right.”

I really, really liked these two lines. Just the pure simplicity of them. It really gives the sense of how lost these two characters are.

ChernobyllyInclined wrote:He tried to run his hands through his hair and they got stuck. Mumbling something beyond comprehension, he slid to the floor into the cold milk.

Underlined portion didn't flow very well for me.

It was a really well-written story but I'm a little confused about the main plot of the story. What I got out of it was that they are two druggies and she got pregnant with him and now she's getting an abortion because they don't have a way to support this baby but the guy in the end realized that she shouldn't do this. Is that basically right?
I love your use of language and the way you describe things. It's very flowy and pretty :)
Nice job!

-Carly

Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:54 pm

Why thank you, Sela! How very kind of you.

You smell like roses from afar. But, up close, you smell like tuna. (That part was from Mae.)

Anyway, I need to continue this story but have not as yet regained the frightening inspiration that is required. But I shall not give up. Shall not.

Hm. That sounds like it.

"Roses are pretty and Mae's breath smells like mint. Plus two."

Sela Locke wrote a review...

Wordless I am becoming. Stop being so good, Nu. It makes me look frail and lame, and I no likey.

HOWEVER, you're taking me down to Albertson's later, since it's such a pretty day, and we're getting dip 'n dots. Is that clear?

Remember, than and then! You get those mixed up. Proof-read like six times before adding, like the Selanator.

And read my new, pitiful blog entry.

< 3333

-SELA

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:13 pm
unsterblichkeit36 wrote a review...

The intro was grabbing, but if you could add in what your enviroment looked like, it would be better to picture it. Some one could esily think you were in a bathroom or an alley outside of stinky's bar. I had gotten lost because i couldnt picture a story in my mind. Next time try to watch our for your beginnings. Or you could describe your characters so that readers have something to look at.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:25 am
LittleBitCold says...

No next chapter yet?

I'm sad. I want more pwetty badly...HOW CAN YOU END SO------cliff-hangerish??

If you weren't my friend I wouldnt be beating you up. But I need more. I have writers block and nothing good to read--but for your fantastic writing. I NEED IT.

This is my fave part...

‘When I was eleven my mom tried to send me to Catholic School. I was already getting into drugs and she thought that maybe - maybe it would help. I remember the priest who taught religion class. He always wore Hawaiian shirts and funny hats and the kids didn’t like him very much. One day he told us about babies. He told us that babies were like kites that try to fly in a room without fans. He said they were impossible but they came anyway. And then he told us about how people kill babies. He told us that people forgot that babies defied gravity and that they threw them out like a kite on a still day. They forgot that babies could fly without the wind. I didn’t really get it then. But now I do. My baby can’t fly.’

Darn. I totally dont get it but I think it means something. Im jealous.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:10 am

Thanks Bro. Perhaps a little more of a review next time?

Bro333 says...

yeah great into it made me want to read the rest. great story!!!!!!!!!

LittleBitCold wrote a review...

Wow. wow. wow.

I almost dont have anything to say. Almost meaning that i do have SOMETHING. It was incredible. There, I said it. This might be me favorite thing of yours. it was terribly sad but i thought the way you handled the...issue was expert.

(Im prolife by the way.)

WRITE MORE. I wanna know what happens really bad. Does she do it? HELP.

GREAT JOB

Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:54 am
deavarna_satina wrote a review...

Ooh, brilliant! I liked this a lot. It captivated me from the very beginning with your talk of gold dust. It befuddled me a little, but was a good opening. I like the way that you aren't spoon-feeding you readers. Nothing is given straight-forward, but enough is hinted that you drive one mad with speculation. Your description is excellent, correctly displaying the dismal circumstances of your characters.
Good job at portraying your characters so well, but I too was a little confused about ages...
Preston's love of pictures was very appropriate. I liked that little paragraph. And the comment about the catalogue girls was brilliant. A bit of a cynic, are we?
I hope you write more.

~Hailey~ xoxo

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:56 am

Thanks, Clograbby! I'm glad you liked it and thanks for the feedback. I edited a little and, if I do post more, I'll be sure to let you know.

Why did it seem like an apocalyptic world? Abortion is an incredibly common thing nowadays and not just in war-ridden places. Although I probably could add a little more detail as to where they are and what it looks like.

I suppose the ages are a little unclear...I'll try to work on that too.

Thanks again!

Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:09 am
Clo wrote a review...

Hey Chernobyl!

Lovely intro, to begin with.

He didn’t like questions he couldn’t answer and he refused to admit that he was far from unique in that respect. Terror was an emotion that was not permitted. Not knowing was terrifying. Why was poor Ana all alone? He refused to know.

You say at the start of this that he couldn't answer this question. Then you say he refused to know - if he can't answer it, then he can't know. So I think it should be "He refused to find out" or something along those lines.

Those are the kind of girls that can’t be found because they are everywhere.

GENIUS!

Some confusions:

At the beginning of the story, I thought these were young kids. You never clarify their age - they're old enough for a baby, but even 16 year olds can have babies. And they're older than eleven. Other than that, I have nothing else to use for imagining. I'm not sure if they're in their twenties or not. You describe Ana like a little girl, as well. Just come clarification on their ages.

Also, is this an apocalyptic world, or a world amidst a terrible war? If you can just add some details that lean it toward one direction or the other, the reader can get a clearer image in their head of the surroundings and what exactly is going on.

Besides that, this was beautifully written. I love it very much, and I hope you post more. PM me if you do! Thanks for the lovely read!

~ Clo

Maybe what most people wanted wasn't immortality and fame, but the reassurance that their existence had meant something. No matter how long... or how brief. Maybe being eternal meant becoming a story worth telling.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality