z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence

The Crooked Island - Chapter One

by Chaser


Virgo stood up and pulled one end of his suit jacket, making it crooked. “Ladies and gentlemen, we’ve reached our quota.”

He punched the presentation TV, and up crackled a graphic of a devil cackling, circled by a jackpot of flashing lights. Virgo produced a wine bottle and smashed it on the wall, holding the neck upside down and sipping it like a jagged chalice.

The boardroom was silent before him. A black-suited man spoke up. “Mr. Virgo, what exactly did we accomplish?”

Virgo extended his free hand, shaking his way around the table. “Our new investment deal has closed its final transaction. Now we make our getaway to the Cayman Islands, and our fortune is sealed!”

Another, elder man looked startled. "But what about our payoff margin? We still have to return money to our investors!"

"Mr. Mendoza, that's not quite true - Benken Trading Corporation has to return the money." Mr Virgo swished his wine, spilling a bit. "We, however, are innovators of economy. And our 'innovation' has made the investment money untraceable."

Mendoza's eyes widened, then narrowed shrewdly. "I see," he mused, then chuckled and extended his hand. "Then you've done it, Mr. Virgo."

"I have, haven't I?" Virgo laughed, careening around the room. "But that's not to say you all won't share the spoils." He passed around his bottleneck like a cult chalice. "So why not drink to me?

"And drink," he said, spreading his arms to the boardroom, "to my biggest scam yet!"

The rest of the room slowly began to clap, and then, as the weight of their new fortune hit them, intensified chortling. They leaped from their seats and whooped, cheering wildly, all except for the seventh man, who had slowly risen and reached into his suit jacket.

I drew my gun, pointing the barrel at Virgo. "This party's over. Arthur Virgo, I'm bringing you in for fraud."

The room froze. Virgo's eyes widened, but he gave no other sign. "Fraud? Mr. Slott, I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about."

"Then I'll let the judge spell it out for you." I glared around the room. "Every word of that presentation just now was recorded. Which makes all of you accomplices at the least. But I'm going to make sure that each of you rots for the scheme you tried to pull."

The black-suited man whipped a gun from beneath the table. "Are you sure you'll be able to, Mr. Slott?" I glared to answer him. The air became heavy, a primer for the sound of bullets in the boardroom chamber.

Suddenly the edge of the table exploded next to the black-suited man, a mahogany splinter slicing his cheek. He clutched his face and stared in shock at Virgo, whose eyes were obscured by the smoke trail from the barrel of his own revolver. 

Virgo startled slightly, as if in a trance. Slowly, he looked at his gun in wonder before tossing it aside. "This thing has terrible aim.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Virgo announced, pacing as though giving a presentation, "did you know that this meeting room lacks radio reception? This far underground, no signals can be transmitted in or out of the facility."

Virgo swung his finger towards me. "Well I'm sure he knew. Which is why he's threatening us before his backup arrives. He hasn't called any yet."

"You have the right to remain silent," I replied curtly.

Virgo grinned. "Oh, you are fun. Ladies and gentlemen, whether or not he is a detective, Mr. Slott-"

"Officer Danton," I interjected.

He shrugged and continued, "He's merely trying to raise his cut with blackmail. What a savvy mindset! A round of applause, everyone!"

As the boardroom clapped, the tension drifted away, and Virgo was back in control.

"Besides, 'Officer Danton' might want to hear the next part of my plan. I've taken the liberty of using all of your shares for a certain purchase."

Virgo held up seven cards, each emblazoned with blue wave patterns. "These are special plane tickets for our getaway. But this trip isn't about what we're escaping, it's about where we're escaping to!"

The black-suited man spoke up. "And where is that, Mr. Virgo?"

"Where indeed." Virgo leaned back and looked at the ceiling. "Everyone has their own name for it. The Canadians call it 'Nowhere Fast.' It's a place for the dead-enders, for the schemers who've made it. 'White Collar Beach,' is the American name for it, on account of the population. And I believe the Spanish name is 'Guarida de Ladrones'.

"Lair of thieves," Mendoza whispered aloud.

"I, of course, have my own name for it." Virgo grinned. "The kingdom of Scamelot!

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm talking about a place untouched by government rule, where your newfound fortune can control the world. It is the center and end for all corruption in the world. I'm sure that every dirty millionaire in the past century will be there, and each would be happy to tell you exactly how gruesomely they made their trade." He locked eyes with me. "Sound interesting?"

I stared back, unwilling to take my weapon off of him. But maybe both of us knew, with that glance, that I couldn't shoot him. And both of us thought we knew why.

The rest of the boardroom gave some semblance of approval, but there was a hint of fear that made them wince as they applauded.

"I'll meet you all there," Virgo finished. "Now Mr. Slott, could you put that gun away? You'll be travelling with me."

Wearily, I lowered my gun. "First class?" I quipped.

Virgo smiled. "No other way exists now."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
561 Reviews


Points: 31500
Reviews: 561

Donate
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:21 pm
Atticus wrote a review...



Hey there Chaser! I saw your second chapter in the GR and decided to start from the beginning :)

"This thing has terrible aim.
You seem to be missing a quotation mark at the end

The rest of the room slowly began to clap, and then, as the weight of their new fortune hit them, their clapping intensified to chortling.


That was all I could find grammar-wise. I did have a few other questions about the plot, which I've addressed below:

They leaped from their seats and whooped, cheering wildly, all except for the seventh man, who had slowly risen and reached into his suit jacket.

I drew my gun, pointing the barrel at Virgo. "This party's over. Arthur Virgo, I'm bringing you in for fraud."
Are these the same people? If so, then you switch from third person to first person, which is somewhat disarming. If not, then it should be better expressed so that the reader understands that these are two separate people.

He punched the presentation TV, and up crackled a graphic of a devil cackling, circled by a jackpot of flashing lights. Virgo produced a wine bottle and smashed it on the wall, holding the neck upside down and sipping it like a jagged chalice.
This is so unusual it seems like this would warrant some sort of reaction, or if this is common behavior, for that to be expressed to the reader somehow.

Virgo startled slightly, as if in a trance. Slowly, he looked at his gun in wonder before tossing it aside. "This thing has terrible aim.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Virgo announced, pacing as though giving a presentation, "did you know that this meeting room lacks radio reception? This far underground, no signals can be transmitted in or out of the facility."
It feels like there should be more of a transition between these two phases? Virgo just attempted and failed to kill a spy, but there's no recognition of what just happened. Even if he doesn't make a big deal of his failure, there should at least be something, maybe even just saying "Virgo kicked his gun aside before continuing to pace the room, unperturbed by his failed attempted murder".

Speaking of which, shouldn't the agent be a little more fazed by this? Also, it seems unlikely that Virgo would miss that badly. Even if he does have terrible aim, if they're in the same room, he should be able to get in the general direction of the agent's body. And why is the MC just standing there while this happens? Shouldn't he be calling for back-up, or have some sort of plan to prevent these men from killing him?

The entire plan of the main character seems sloppy, in my opinion. Why would he show his hand so early? Why is he making such a bold move without backup? It seems pointless for the MC to make his announcement so early, when it would be much more effective to wait until he was alone with Virgo, or had back-up stationed so that they could ensure that their mission would be successful. An operation this big relying on luck seems unlikely and careless.

Overall, however, I really enjoyed Virgo's character and the way the characters bantered back and forth. You have a gift for dialogue, and I'm intrigued by your opening chapter, which is always a good thing! I would like to see the plot fleshed out a little bit more, and perhaps a better understanding of the scam that Virgo arranged—it wasn't quite clear from this chapter. Other than that, your writing style was smooth and enjoyable, so keep up the good work, and I look forward to reading more!

~MJTucker




User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 574
Reviews: 47

Donate
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:45 pm
SubSubLibrarian wrote a review...



Hey, Chaser! This is some quality writing; you're goin' places, kid!
Your dialogue tags are original and Virgo's terrible humor is almost iconic because he's so unapologetic about it and it seems to be characteristic. I would love to see some character development for both Virgo and Officer Danton in the future.
I was a little confused by some of it. The opening, I think, could be improved by a little description of the meeting. You could start by saying something about how the boardroom is full of stuffy businessmen, all looking bored and rich. Something like that would be really funny hen you contrast it with their later celebrations. It would seem like the typical board meeting and would only add to the pause that occurred between Virgo's announcement and their eventual recognition of their victory. The POV change was a little awkward. I understand why you did it, but I think the transition could have been smoother. Finally, the ending. I'm sure the specifics will come up later, but I still think its necessary for readers to have some understanding of what's going on between Virgo and Danton. I feel like the moment when Danton lowers his gun is the crucial moment of the chapter, as it is the beginning of the anticlimax, so I feel like it needs to be set up more.
Anyway, great job! I am very intrigued and I can't wait to read more.




User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 550
Reviews: 17

Donate
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:34 pm
wafflewolf7 wrote a review...



Hey Chaser! Happy review day! This was a really good story and a fun read! Sometimes I was a bit confused by the POV but it all made sense and it turned out I was just being an idiot...

But in that case, I'm an idiot with a few minor suggestions that I think would make this story even better!

For example, I think that:

"Virgo stood up and pulled one end of his suit jacket, misaligning it."

would sound better than:

"Virgo stood up and pulled one end of his suit jacket, making it crooked."
~~~

I was also confused by this line:

"He punched the presentation TV, and up crackled a graphic of a devil cackling..."

I've personally had different experiences with punching tvs... ;) oof
~~~

This sentence is just kind of weird:

"The rest of the room slowly began to clap, and then, as the weight of their new fortune hit them, intensified chortling."

may I suggest:

"The rest of the room slowly began to clap, but, as the weight of their new fortune decended upon them, they began chortling like hyenas after a kill."

or something like that I guess :)
~~~

"The air became heavy, a primer for the sound of bullets in the boardroom chamber."

There's nothing wrong with this, but I think:

"The air became heavy, priming the boardroom for the explosion of bullets."

would sound cool.
~~~

This was really good and I enjoyed reading it! Good job!!





All the turtles are related.
— Jack Hanna