Tomato

by Charizard821

I call her my Tomato,

A name she got one day,

When I told her she was special to me,

And she blushed the night away.

Miles from each other,

As if across the sea,

One day I'll come to visit you,

And together we will be.

Our love is an endless hole,

But this may not be true,

For when I speak of falling through,

I'm simply falling for you.

I hold my breath to hug you,

I'd kindly kill to kiss,

And when you're away an entire day,

There's nothing more I miss.

My heart races when I think,

About the love we share,

Whenever we speak, it seems to be,

The only thing in the air.

When I walk alone,

My feet, they tap in two,

Oh, please make it four, forever more,

And I won't tap the blues.

I call her my Tomato,

And though strange it may sound,

I believe with certainty,

That my true love I have found.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:05 am
Aley wrote a review...

More love poems. I like it, again.

You did a good job with the language. I think the rhyme is sort of getting in your way again here. You really flourished without the rhyme scheme in the acrostic. It gave you the space to work and you didn't have to force the language at all. Here you can see a couple places where it's forced like "true" and "through" because that stops awkwardly, and also oh my god, end stops, ugh. That's always bothersome to me. The rhyme will rhyme even if you don't tell it to. You don't have to stop at a rhyme. They are going to pick up on the sounds because it rhymes, that's enough of a stop.

That being said the other place you might want to check is "other" because you don't seem to have a rhyme with it?

Basically I would suggest re-vamping this poem and hiding the rhymes internally like you have some of them in here. If you do that you're going to keep the rhymes, but you're going to get a better flow because right now the rhymes are really blocking up the flow, along with the punctuation making problems. The more you loosen things up, the easier this is going to read and the quicker it is going to go. You have a good syncopation for the song, your beat is good and solid, but the flow is halty because of the rhymes and punctuation. Taking out the rhymes at the end by breaking up the lines differently, and moving the punctuation [re-moving a lot of it] will really free that up. You're going to end up with a much better finished product because people will be able to look at it for why she's named Tomato and you will have an opportunity to really hint at why she is nicknamed Tomato. You won't have to deal with only words that rhyme.

I really like the whole "kill to kiss" the alliteration in that is cute especially with that juxtaposition. Good job.

Aley

TheTruth52732 wrote a review...

Dear Charizard821,

To be honest I have your full username Memorized now. I have fallen in love with your poetry and this one just made me fall even harder. The only problem I have is that you didn't include your nickname. Mind me asking, why is that? I mean Mr.Vegetable let us know what green you are.

Sincerely Honest
The Truth

Charizard821 says...

Actually, Truth, I'm making another poem about what she calls me and what I mean to her. I'll tag you when it's ready. I have to say, the pride I feel when opening my YWS and reading your comments and reviews is overwhelming. I cannot thank you enough for your kind words of inspiration.

Thankyou I will review it as soon as possible. I have a list built up of pieces to review. At the moment the list is full of your work and than other persons.

TheTruth52732 says...

I will be reviewing this when I get a chance

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:11 am
Morrigan wrote a review...

This is cute.

Honestly, though, I kind of hate that the narrator calls this girl his tomato. First of all, I, too, am of the blushing variety, and it irks me whenever anyone calls me a tomato. Secondly, if you're going to name the poem after the tomato, you should probably talk more about the tomato than the love that the narrator and the tomato might possibly share.

See, the readers don't know if you don't talk about the person in the love poem. If you talk about love, readers don't know if it's true, but they can see your love for the person if you talk about them. So here's my advice: talk about Ms. Tomato, and see how your poem turns out then.

Also, don't call her a Tomato.

Our love is an endless hole,

But this may not be true,

For when I speak of falling through,

I'm simply falling for you.
This part really confused me. Either say one thing or another! :3

Hope this proves useful to you! Happy YWSing!

Charizard821 says...

Well, thank you for the reciew, but two things. One, the narrator is me, two, there's no way I'm changing her nickname. She loves it when I call her Tomato, and it's her opinion I'd like to follow. Thank you though.

Dracula wrote a review...

This was a lovely poem! It's amazing how you've taken the nickname 'Tomato' (which is often an insult to those who blush a lot) and turned it into something romantic. If she likes it when you call her a fruit, it must be true love! :P It's absolutely perfect how it is so don't change it at all! Just keep writing more.

Charizard821 says...

Haha! Yes, she enjoys me calling her a fruit, so it very well must be true love. Especially when she calls me a vegetable. XD

speakerskat says...

I don't want to review this because it's to good for a review. How cute and sweet and its really smooth to read .Congrats on front page ! Just beautiful, enough said.

Charizard821 says...

Thanks Kat! It means a lot! Man, all this positive support us making both mine and Tomato's day! :D

speakerskat says...

Is there a real tomato <3 heh

Charizard821 says...

Of course there is! She was the inspiration behind this!

Mew2x wrote a review...

I love the poem. The tone of the poem is so sweet that it made the readers' heart beating. I could sense that, in this poem, you really love this person. You are in love with this person :) Its so sweet that you made this poem for her :) Personal advice, if I may, cherish that person always :D Show how much you love her, and care for her :)

Charizard821 says...

You better believe I will.

This is beautiful! It is seems so lighthearted yet it really pulls on your heartstrings and creates a very realistic image of your feelings.
The end rhymes create a lot of impact and really empasises how in sync or deep the love you speak of is.
This is a really good poem and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Charizard821 says...

Thank you! I enjoyed writing it!

Tuesday wrote a review...

Hello CapitalMonday here for a review. i like to begin that this poem is amazing well-written since the tone of this is remembering the love you had for this girl you called Tomato or something like that. Also i like how there is little end rhymes yet those few end rhymes could make any poem something worth their own wild.

Whenever I read a poem, I try to look for anything that could be fixed or something that could be used in a fixing situation (like most poems have or will do). Yet, most poems that i have read have mistakes while other not so much (this poem, however, has none.) From what i have read from the comment below, i would assume that you have fixed any fixes that would need to fix (since you are a wonderful poet or a wonderful writer).

Overall, i am sure many people could relate since some of us have or had a girlfriend/boyfriend and we loved them so much that we gave them cute nicknames. This poem could easily be called a wonderful example of dating someone you love very much or something, since in this poem you express the key elements in loving someone very close to you.

(sorry for rambling, just my way of saying I love poems that i read)
Farewell,
CapitalMonday

Charizard821 says...

This is the nicest thing I've read all day. Thank you so much! I hope to see you review my work in the future!

dogsrule5 says...

I thought this was the sweetest thing ever.... Keep it up.

dogsrule5 says...

Charizard821 says...

You appear to have said this twice. XD Well, thank you so much! You can bet I'll keep it up, because as long as I have my Tomato, I'll likely be writing poetry for her. :)

LaurynGamble says...

Very sweet! The rhyming is on point and it is very cute. I think that there should be a little explanation on why she is your tomato, but perhaps the mystery is what's so appealing.

Charizard821 says...

I provided a small explanation near the beginning. She received the name because she is CONSTANTLY blushing. I kid you not, nearly everything makes her blush!

LaurynGamble says...

you guys seem adorable!

Charizard821 says...

Haha! Thanks!

Poopsie says...

;3; I cri everytime ;3;

I wuv dis poem, so melancholy and simple, I love the fact that you can say so much with such a simplistic poem

Charizard821 says...

Thanks Verser! My girlfriend liked it too. ;)

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:03 am
RituparnaBhowmik wrote a review...

this poem was really sweet and cute, and i guess you really love your tomato. i would however like to point out some flaws[ pardon me if i am being picky ]
"And she blushed the night away."- i get the though in this like but the phrase "night away" is not fitting, it seems that your rhythm is binding you, try some other phrase which may sound more appropriate like "she blushed and agreed to stay"
"sea" you may change this expression to "bay" which bound rhyme with be and also suit the place,
"endless hole," i don"t think such an expression really suits for love, the word hole really strikes the ears and gives the whole thing a neg tone, perhaps try " our love is not a one day stroll" it would rhyme and is a good expression for love that lasts forever but may be that then the next lines would also need some change, well think about it and i guess you will come up with something good
"I'd kindly kill to kiss," again here the word ''kill'' really kills the feeling, and moreover why will you kill a kiss- rather i would even question how? try this " i am lost at her gentle kiss"
overall the poem was really cherry sweet just as your love,
you have potential so try and improve,
keep writing,
Rituparna

Charizard821 says...

Well, thank you. I wrote a lot of the lines I did due to this being for an English test and me having to make five literary devices. The hole comparison was a metaphor and "kindly kill to kiss" was alliteration.

Also, I should probably point out I wasn't speaking of killing A kiss. I spoke of killing TO kiss. (I wouldn't actually, though. XD)

Thank you so much for the review!

Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:15 am
Willard wrote a review...

Hey, yo, Charizard821! Strange here and I have a review for you!

Alright, you probably don't like me from a previous review I did on one of your works, because apparently I'm not open to criticize, but that was a long time ago so here I am. This was a pretty interesting work, because it revolves on the common trend romance. Initially, it's about how you are certain that they are their true love and that they'll be together forever. However, there are many problems with this style of romance that could be found. I found one:

I'm simply falling for you.

In other areas of the poem, you talk about certainty of being your true love. Initially, if you're falling, it still hasn't happened yet. If you've fallen already, you should be certain. Possibly a change of the word falling would work great. Continuing on the note, it seems that you are possibly in the honeymoon phase.

There are holes. I honestly never agree on the theme, because it all relies on blind faith, luck, probability. It's something I never got, and it seems ridiculous. It is very realistic, believe it or not. That is something I have to give props on.

Technical wise: I really admire the technique of not using traditional stanzas. This actually helped the flow, which was powerful. There was no glaring grammar mistakes, so that was good. Even though I wasn't a fan of the whole idea, this was actually pretty good.

Adios!

Charizard821 says...

Well, thank you Strange. I'm glad we've moved past that last issue we had.

Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:18 am
RoyalHighness wrote a review...

I read this about half an hour ago, and got busy on something else so now I'm going to return a lovely compliment because, really, compliments are all I have for this piece. Let's get started!

First of all, thank you for breaking from traditional stanza structures. Sometimes reading stanzas breaks up a poem, but you've chosen to make this flow really, really well (just like your love!? *cries*).

I love the imagery of the sea and the hole you're falling through; I feel like I /watched/ the hole /become/ your love for this girl, and it was amazing.

I love, and this probably goes without saying, the nickname Tomato. Adorable, and perfect poetry potential. Way to tap into that, and take something simple and make it beautiful!

Favorite line:

When I walk alone,

My feet, they tap in two,

Oh, please make it four, forever more,

And I won't tap the blues.

Love. Just. I love that. This is a great piece, and I can't wait to read more!!

Charizard821 says...

Awesome! Hey, don't forget to like it! I'm shooting for Literary Spotlight. Maybe I'll see you there!

Love is so short, forgetting is so long.
— Pablo Neruda