z

Young Writers Society



The Journals

by Char


Hey, this is my first story posted on this site AND my first day on the site. I just started writing this today, its the beginning of the first chapter of my book called "The Journals"..though this isnt an official title. Sooo, check it out. Tell me what you think: need more description, terrible dialogue, flows like a dammed river, ect. and also make sure to tell me if there is a book i can help review for you...

THE JOURNALS

Chapter 1

Legends

Bren pressed his back against a grimy tree, glancing nervously around at the forest of willows.

“Keep your sword ready, Bren,” said Nimterrin brightly from his hiding place behind a seperate tree.

“I’ll need it?” Bren asked.

“Its quite possible,” said Nimterrin. “Though I must say I doubt that we will be attacked tonight.”

“Why not, sir?”

“They wouldn’t risk it. And, you are with me,” he said simply. “Ah, the messenger from the town. He has a report for us, I believe.”

Nimterrin stepped out from behind his tree, taking a few steps forward then stopping and turning back. “Sword, Bren.”

Bren nodded, drawing his long sword from the scabbard on his back and resting the naked blade on his shoulder. Nimterrin was instantly swallowed into the darkness. He could hear whispering—but could not see the messenger anywhere. He had not even heard him come up.

Nimterrin came back seconds later. “It seems we won’t be going into the town after all. We need to continue through the forest to the house of my friend. Are you alright, Bren?”

“I’m fine,” Bren said.

“Good. Follow me then.” Nimterrin began through the forest of vines, dangling from the tall willows.

Bren was careful to stay close behind him. He had a strange twinge of worry in his stomach, as though something had happened that Nimterrin had not bothered telling him.

“How far is it to your friend’s house, sir?” Bren asked, struggling to stay in sight of the old man.

“We could be there in a couple of hours,” he said. “But that’s without delays.”

“Do you think that we will have many delays, sir?” Bren asked. He was beginning to breathe hard now. He had found running in soggy mud to be a lot more tiring than running on hard dirt.

“I’m afraid I don’t know,” Nimterrin said. He stopped abruptly at a dirty creek, moss-mantled rocks strewn across its muddy bank. “I believe this river will take us directly to our destination if we follow it. But we don’t want to be to close to the river. We’ll follow it from off to the side.”

“Wouldn’t it be faster just to travel along the riverbank, sir?” Bren said.

“That it would. But we can’t chance the fact that the river is being patrolled. We’ll have to follow from a distance,” he said.

“Who is your friend, sir?” Bren asked. “And does he have it at his house.”

Nimterrin stopped and turned around. “The man’s name is Stick. And yes, he should have it have his house. Unless we get unlucky.”

“Unless he’s dead when we get there, you mean?” Bren said indignantly.

“Oh, I highly doubt that the enemy would dare try killing Stick," said Nimterrin cheerfully. "It would be more of a loss on there part in the end.”

“Then what—”

“I’ll explain when we get to Stick’s house. We have to be moving on, and quickly. Follow me,” Nimterrin said. He turned and began once more into the thick of vines, brush, and trees, careful to stay a few paces away from the river.

Bren followed, cloak flowing behind, as he kept as close behind Nimterrin as he could manage, plunging through the soggy soil. They came to a place in the river that fell into a black waterfall, stabbing into a small black lake at the base of the falls. Rubbish, moss, and plants were strewn across the bank of the lake and many of the roots of the willow trees were growing out of the water.

“Where…are we…sir?” panted Bren.

“If memory hasn’t failed me, Stick's house should be somewhere around—ah, I remember,” he said, and he began to lower himself down the rocks towards the floor of the falls.

“Who would ever want to live in a place like this?” Bren asked, glancing around at the grimy banks and distorted shaped trees.

“A person in hiding,” Nimterrin said.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 1078
Reviews: 333

Donate
Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:56 pm
emotion_less says...



I thought it was a little rushed, but I really liked it. Nitmerrin, as a character, annoys me, but that's just because of the way you had him be. It's not something bad on your part. Nice job. Hope you continue posting.




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 7

Donate
Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:00 am
Char says...



chapters not done yet lol....




User avatar
798 Reviews


Points: 6517
Reviews: 798

Donate
Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:33 am
Jiggity wrote a review...



Just one question why did you give this an R rating? I saw nothing to warrant it...apart from that, and everything mentioned by Eloere, it was really well written. lookin' forward to the next chapter.

oh and is there any significance in the title of the chapter: Legends?




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 7

Donate
Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:37 pm
Char says...



You guys rock, thanks for taking time to look at my work. I was wondering whether you would be lost with a lot of what was happening--however a lot things are covered when Bren and Nimterrin go to Stick.




User avatar
221 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 221

Donate
Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:52 am
Elelel wrote a review...



I liked it! The first sentence brought me right in there, like I was next to Bren. But then it got a little vague. I had no idea Nimterrin was behind a tree until he stepped out from behind it, and unless Bren, who is the character's view we seem to be getting more often, didn't know where Nimterrin was, and it seems that he did, you might want to give us his location the first time he says anything.

“Keep your sword ready, Bren,” said Nimterrin brightly. [/i]
This is just the sort of thing someone would say seriously, or whisper, but Nimterrin (I like that name too) says it brightly ... hehe. It amuses me. And it gives us an idea of the character, which is always good.

I think Nimterrin says Bren's name a little too often. When you're talking to someone, especially when there's no one else present, you don't need to say their name all the time.

“Oh, I highly doubt that the enemy would dare try killing Stick. It would be more of a loss on there part in the end,” Nimterrin said cheerfully.

Here, I think you could split that dialogue with the 'said' bit. It would sound better, and I think it would be especially good because then we'd find out Nimterrin was talking cheerfully in the middle, rather then finding out when it has already been said.
Eg. "Oh, I highly doubt that the enemy would dare try killing Stick," Nimterrin said cheerfully. 'It would be more of a loss on their part in the end."
That's really up to you though. (and 'there' should be 'their)

“If I memory hasn’t failed me, Sticks house should be somewhere around—ah, I remember,” he said, and he began to lower himself down the rocks towards the floor of the falls.

Here you wrote "If I memory" instead of "If my memory", and "Sticks" needs to be "Stick's".

It was a little fast, you may want to work on slowing the change of events down a little. Maybe with thoughts, or more description about the suroundings.

Well, I'm going to disagree with Griffin (though you may prefer to take his advise over mine, and I wouldn't blame you) and say that I don't hink you need a chapter or two to lead up to this, if you make things a bit clearer in the next chapter straight away. Just clear things up for the reader like "who is this enemy?", "what's going on with that town?" and "what are these two people doing trudging around a forest anyway?". You could even place bits and piece through this bit that would explain some of these things, like have Bren thinking them or something.

But that last bit of dialogue was indeed very good. I love a little something at the end of chapters.




User avatar
80 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 80

Donate
Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:56 am
ladydark wrote a review...



yesh... very good, I could not see any gramtical errors... and I know, I'm not one to talk about fast, (>.>), but I agree with grif. Just a wee bit to fast, perhaps you could slow it down. Perhaps write a brief introduction, many good books have them, and it really enlightens the reader. But yesh... good job for first story.... 8)




User avatar
863 Reviews


Points: 2090
Reviews: 863

Donate
Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:10 am
Griffinkeeper wrote a review...



Impressive, but I think it is a little too fast for the first chapter. I'd like a chapter to two in advance to describe the two men and their conflicts with the town. I thought the last piece of dialog was the coolest ending for a chapter I've seen in a long while.




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 67

Donate
Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:43 am
The Silent Aviator wrote a review...



Hello...
Welcome to the YWS! :)
Anyways, kickass story. Very well written, axious to read any continuation s of it. I didn't find any grammarical errors, but grammar is definatley NOT my specialty...





The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.
— Martin Luther King, Jr.