Earthquake Setting Description Excerpt

by Chakeber

I just need an honest opinion on how well I wrote this setting description and how well you picture it, or get it. If it describes as beautiful as I try to make it.

We walk to the door hand in hand and he unlocks it. Stepping inside, I’m not surprised. It’s what you would expect from the look of the outside of the house. Everything clean, polished, white and in place. The door leads into a grand room, nearest was all open space. One could say a dancing space, under an intricate crystal chandelier that dazzled shining patterns over the floor. 

On the far end of the room was somewhat of an entertainment area. There are three nice black leather couches in a U formation facing a 72” flat screen television. Various porcelain white side tables stationed next to them, crystal flower vases filed with orchids, and a coffee table in between with fill items in their place. 

Behind the right stationed couch was a black bar. Glasses stacked on top and the liquor most likely stored underneath. 

The architecture of the interior was odd, the first floor ceiling above the entertainment room ran towards us past the couches then straight up at a right angle to the bottom of the second floor. Black railing up to keep people from falling to their deaths connecting around to the shining rails of the grand stairwell, standalone and off to the left of us. Wide, curving fancily all the way up. peeking beneath I can see a door behind it, probably the kitchen entrance

"It's beautiful," I tell him, taking it all in. He gives me one of those shy lopsided grins.

“C’mon, I’m upstairs.” He pulls me up said stairway and across another open space that serves as a crossway to go down different hallways. They weren’t small, dark hallways. They were wide and bright and tall, like they weren’t hallways at all. And there weren’t walls at the end, they all led probably into another room. I wasn’t surprised. The far back wall we were walking towards was glass from floor to ceiling and you could see the backyard, the sky, the sun shining through. We turn down the hallway that runs with this wall and he pulls me all the way down through a double door and into his room. 

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!!

First Impression: Okay....so...this is the first time I think that I've ever had to look at a work purely from how the description is done...but ehh...Imma give this a shot, and we on first glance it certainly seems pretty good.

Hmm, well that certainly is a solid start to a description, its a decent way of starting such a thing, its appears to be sort of starting the same way you'd expect someone walking into a room to notice things and that is pretty how you want it as a reader too, so this is certainly a pretty cool start here. Well, let us see how this goes I suppose. :D

On the far end of the room was somewhat of an entertainment area. There are three nice black leather couches in a U formation facing a 72” flat screen television. Various porcelain white side tables stationed next to them, crystal flower vases filed with orchids, and a coffee table in between with fill items in their place.

Alright, this really does have quite a neat flow to it here, its very similar to how someone would begun noticing details, with the grandest most eye catching pieces being the first to get noticed. So far this is proceeding really well, I can certainly easy put myself in this person's shoes and imagine what sort of place this may be.

Okay, looks like we're in small comments about what the person here is thinking of what he sees which is an interesting touch, it can be interpreted as a bit of exposition perhaps where you're explaining a place and then slipping in details about the purposes of said items via thoughts but I do think it works quite well, it certainly feels like the thoughts any person would have upon seeing a place for the first time, well the bar comment anyway. Not terribly sure about the fall to your death comment, I doubt too you think of death prevention rails when just looking a staircase, I doubt the place there is precarious enough to warrant a thought like that, unless its a super narrow, super rickety rotting staircase and this one appears to be a luxurious grand one.

"It's beautiful," I tell him, taking it all in. He gives me one of those shy lopsided grins.

Okay the description there was pretty neat as well. Its sort of showing how things are being revealed to this person as they just go in from hallway to hallway and into this room. Again, I really like how this remains consistent with the way a person would see things, and how that allows this to flow really easily. So even if it is a load of description it doesn't feel like we're having too many things crammed into our heads. I'd say job well done here.

Overall: Overall, this is a pretty solid description here, it certainly is far better than the garbage I come up with. So yup, I believe, that is about all that I have to say here. :D

Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:08 am
felistia wrote a review...

Hi Chakeber, Felistia here with a review for you on this wonderful day. :D

I am just going to say ahead of time that everything in my review is honest, so I might appear harsh at times. :D

Overall picture: Overall the whole picture is crystal clear to me. I can see everything in it exact place. You were very thorough with the details, which is good, but I feel like you went a bit too in-depth here. If you had a bit of dialogue to break it up maybe it would work. :D

Colours: You did a good job describing shapes and gave me some basic colours, but I think you could give more interesting colours. (Various white side tables stationed) You could say (Various porcelain white side tables stationed) Overall I feel like there need sot be more colours. :D

Comparisons: You are also missing comparisons in your description. Comparisons are very important in description and I think you really need to put some in here.

Small mistakes: (chandelier On the far end) You need a full stop between (chandelier) and (On)

I was being really harsh in this review and really your description is really good. I just think you are over doing it. Never stop writing and I hope you have a great day\night. :D

Your friend Felistia. :D

Chakeber says...

Oh no it wasn't harsh at all! It was exactly what I wanted. I made some changes, but what do you mean by comparisons? Thanks for the help :)

felistia says...

I mean compering an object to another object like this. (The blades of grass are as sharp as an elf's swift sword). I hope this explains it. :D

Redbox275 says...

You mean similes

Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:39 am
Redbox275 wrote a review...

Hey it's Red,

Description is an essential part of writing and to be honest yours was good... It was certainly there and did a job of showing and not telling. There are strong points but also parts you need to improve on.

To begin, second paragraph was way too long. Make it more brief. Is describing every inch of the entrence of the house necessary or important to the story? Writers use more detail in description to emphasize something. I feel like what you were trying to get across was this guy was rich which is what I picked up on in three sentences. Just add less detail. On the other hand you could always chop it into paragraph. Readers don't like too bulky paragraphs. Maybe spit it by description of entertainment center, bar, grand staircase, etc.

About the description as being "beautiful" I think it can be improved. There is no figurative language. Similies, personification, metaphors, etc. There should be more artful language if I would label this "beautiful ", but it does place a very clear picture in my mind.

Also more specific, precise, and sophisticated vocabulary would be a helpful addition.

Speaking of vocabulary.
"into a humongous grand room"
Take out "humongous" because you already have "grand".

Don't ever use "thingies" or stuff or thing in description.

Then you said "stationary" bar. Aren't bats typically stationary? They could be on wheels, but you need to specific it's stationary if in a house.

Your story was well written overall. It provided a crystal clear image in my head, and I want to read more.

Also look up compound sentences

Keep writing,

Redbox275

Chakeber says...

Thanks so much for the advice, I fixed it all I'm pretty sure. Would you mind rereading it and letting me know if it's improved? Thanks for all the time you took and I'll be posting the first chapter to the novel very soon :)

Redbox275 says...

Yeah sure! Sounds good

“Christmas won’t be Christmas without any presents!”
— Little Women