Language Mature Content

Afraid that I'm not

by Centurion

"He's gone, there's nothing left you can do for him." I said. The young medic looked up at me, his hands still putting on the casualties wound. "No, no, no, there has to be something, can't you help him?" His voice cracked, and for a moment, it sounded as if a child was speaking. This kid was only 18, probably only graduated high school a year ago. And here he was, with me. "I'm sorry, but we have to move on. Tag the body and cover him." I was about to get up when the medic grabbed onto my arm. "No, please, you have to do something." I gently pulled my arm out of his grasp and let his hand slide down limp as he started to cry.

I got up and walked away. I pulled my gloves off and threw them in the nearest trash. I looked around in the field hospital, dozens of orderly medics and nurses were running around treating the wounded. Another stretcher was brought in by some infantrymen, a bloodied corpse laying on it. They placed him on the closest open bed, then left, weaving their way past the oblivious and focused medical staff.

"Doctor, we have several new trauma's coming in that need a surgical assessment and resuscitation." I almost didn't see the nurse come up behind me, carrying a blood covered clip board. She was flipping through pages and pages of soaked paperwork. "What are you going to do?"

I've heard that so many times before. It is a question that has defined my life. I heard it when I went to medical school and had to deal with patients for the first time. I heard it as a surgical intern. I heard it as a resident. I heard it as a practicing Trauma Surgeon. And even when I joined the Army. My position is one that is very unique. I came in as a professional. And as such, the commanders of the units I was assigned to treated me as one, and in times of hardship, they confided in me, as I was the only one they could go to. Men who were supposed to set an example and lead, and I was the only person who they could show their weakness to... the only one they could show their pain to. I never once asked them what they were going to do. I wasn't going to put that burden on them. But when they asked me what I thought they should do, I always gave an answer, I always took that burden.

My dad is an Army vet. He was an armor officer who drove tanks during the gulf wars. He saw his fair share. Before I left, he sat me down and explained to me what war would be like. He told me what being an officer was going to be like. He said that as a doctor that other officers, especially combat officers, would confide in me because I was the only one that they could. It would put a burden on me that would be unique. It would add a lot of stress and could lead to a great deal of trauma. So when I went in to my first deployment, I thought that I was going to be scared. But the only thing that I was afraid of, was the fact that I wasn't. Even when a new war came around, and a new enemy in a different part of the world, and a whole new level of chaos and destruction, I wasn't afraid. I saw new weapons of war that utterly desecrated men and women. I saw destruction unlike anything seen in the world before. But I wasn't afraid. I saw it as a job that I had to do. The only other soldiers that I saw that had a similar mindset were those the various special operations units that I saw. Many people said that it was a scary thing to see someone who had compartmentalized everything, but I never saw it that way. I saw it as an opportunity. When young soldiers would see someone that wasn't afraid, it would instill hope in them. They saw that someone could take the heat, could take their own burden and the burdens of others. And when I was asked if I ever needed help, my answer was no. Because my job as a doctor was to help others. And I wasn't going to let anything stand in my way, and wasn't going to let anything stop me. I wasn't afraid of anything. The only thing that I wasn't afraid of.... was that I wasn't.

maishaywca wrote a review...

Hi there! Writing a review!

Your story is good. But I think u should be more careful about the dialogues. I was having difficulty in understanding them. Otherwise, it was good.

I think u should have written more about why u chose to be an army doctor despite knowing the difficulties and why being army is adventurous as well as dangerous.

You are a good writer. Well, don't mind my review. I am not a very good writer. But I told what I felt about the writing.

Hoping to read more your writings! keep it up!

Iggy wrote a review...

Hi there, Centurion! Dropping by with a review. :D

Okay so. First of all, remember that every time one character stops talking and another starts, there should be a line break in between. You have all of your dialogues crammed together in one paragraph instead of spread out like they should be. You know how it is in books? That is how your story should look, too. It helps the reader distinguish between characters and understand who is saying what.

Second, I am not educated in the field of medicine at all, especially in regards to the army, but I wonder if you did your research on this. If you did, then good! But if not, then I recommend you do some reading up on it before revising this work. For example, you say that the narrator just tossed their gloves into a nearby trash can, which I am positive is not accurate because used medical gloves are considered hazardous and would have to be thrown away in a proper hazard bin, right? Since they're most likely covered in blood. Inconsistencies like that make the writing dull and unrealistic for the reader, so I do recommend reading up on the practice before writing a new piece.

I also want to quickly mention that I feel that the portrayal of the young medic was a bit unrealistic. I agree that, since he's so young, he's not as used to all the death and decay as the narrator is, so I can see why he would cry and be upset, but to fling out and hang onto the doctor's arm like that? It's not realistic, especially for someone who didn't even know the deceased. I would revise that.

Finally, where's the detail? Flash fiction is meant to have the reader clinging onto every word, and showing as much detail, action, and emotion as you can in very few words. For example, I feel like you could've done more with the scenery. It's an army hospital, and they're in the middle of a war, so where's the chaos and the dead bodies and such? You touched upon it briefly but I feel like you could've done more with that. According to this article, one main focus of flash fiction is to pick a particular image and focus on it. That could've been your particular image. I recommend diving more into detail if you ever revise this.

Altogether, I did like the story. It was pretty good and I liked the overall theme, and how the narrator feels and describes his thoughts to the audience. I hope this review helped.

♥ Igs

Centurion says...

Thanks for dropping by with the review, it definitely helped. To address the part with the gloves, the reasoning behind it is that since they are in a war zone, which is a place where surgery and other invasive procedures are a last resort. The reason for that being, in austere environments, not much if anything is sanitary. The main character is a trauma surgeon, his job is stabilization and life saving acute procedures, and given the influx of patients in said austere environment, not every procedure can be carried out according to rules and/or procedures. He simply doesn't have the time, as his job is to stop major hemorrhage, with infection as a secondary concern for a higher tier care facility away from the war-zone. Believe me, I have done my research, bio medicine is my college major right now. And as far as the portrayal of the medic, in combat environments, traumatic experiences can produce drastic emotional responses or extremely blunted ones, and here, I went with someone on the denial stage of grief who is going through a very complicated time.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:37 pm
DeerInBacPac says...

YOU NO TAG ME?

*le gasp in horror*

Naw, you good. Please tag me next time!

i will reivew when i can

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:12 pm
LadyOkra wrote a review...

I really like it.

There are a few mistakes here and there. "The young medic looked up at me, his hands still putting on the casualties wound" is not quite correct. "Putting on" should be replaced with "placed on" and "casualties" should be "casualty's". Also, "carrying a blood covered clip board" would sound better if it was "carrying a clipboard covered in blood".

I think the premise is good. I like how you define this hardened character you based the story on. I also think that the story is fluid, except there are some sentences that are a bit distorted.

The dialogue could be a bit more fluid.

Good job! More power to you.

Cheers!

Remember, a stranger once told you that the breeze here is something worth writing poems about.
— Shinji Moon