Being Firstborn

by Cathe993

Being firstborn is really tough,

Being firstborn is pretty rough.

Being firstborn is not a game,

Being firstborn is filled with blame.

Being firstborn is not a joke,

Being firstborn could make me choke.

Being firstborn has much duty,

Being firstborn—you have no prize.

But being firstborn is an envied spot,

Being firstborn is a lucky lot.

Being firstborn means full command,

Being firstborn meets all demands.

Being firstborn brings joy to life,

Being firstborn takes away some strife.

Being firstborn means lots of fun,

Being firstborn means bringing shine.

Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:34 am
PenPacifist wrote a review...

Hello, I'll be reviewing your poem today.

I am a firstborn child as well, and I have always had a love-hate relationship with it. Sometimes I am glad I get to experience everything first, but my parents are always so much more easygoing on my brother and sister.

In the beginning of the poem, you were making it seem like you did not like being the firstborn child. At the end, however, you seemed to be contempt with it. My question for you is what is the message you were trying to convey in this work?

This poem was very entertaining to read. However, I did find some instances where more colorful words could have been chosen. Also, the repetition of the phrase "being firstborn" gets tiresome. I agree with the comments that say the phrase could have been swapped out.

You are a talented poet. I encourage you to keep going at it.

Cathe993 says...

Thanks for the review! I'm trying to show the ups and downs of being a firstborn. :)

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:56 pm
BlueSunset wrote a review...

Hello there, I'm BlueSunset. I'll be reviewing your work for today.

Firstly, I would like to point out the effort and product of rhyme in this piece. I don't usually read many rhyming poems lately, but this seems to have a good pattern going along with it.

A main issue for me was the excessive use in "Being firstborn." I feel like you could trade off that line every other stanza or something? It becomes a little overwhelming, and could be used less in a way that is noticeable but not too much. With it being used so much, this line seemed a little out of place. I don't know if it's just me, but it also seems like it blocks the amount of flow that could be running through this poem. Having good flow in a poem is important, you don't want to decrease the amount of it.

But being firstborn is an envied spot,

This is why a recommend varying each line or stanza to make it unique and different, as well as not too repetitive. It works several times in a row, but after a while it becomes a mouthful to keep repeating in one's mind.
[/quote]Being firstborn means bringing shine.[/quote]
I'm a little lost at this line. It trips me up and I don't exactly understand what you are trying to say here. Do you mean happiness? Brightness? Attention?
Another thing. I don't know if it was intentional to make this so, but your first stanza rhymes as a couplet (example) and is different than the rest of the poem. Whether this is intentional or not, it seems a bit odd to have an (A,A, B,B ...) rhyme scheme in the first stanza and not the rest. That being said, maybe either switch the wording or change the other stanzas, as that'll be a good solution.

I do admire the reflection of personality here. I can see where this is coming from. Though I don't know exactly what it's like being first born (as I am second), I get a clear picture of what it's like from this poem. This is the first of this topic I've read of this poem - it actually is very nice to read, the ups and downs of what it may be like. I love how it gave a good impression to people who make not be first born, and gave them an experience of that in this quick poem.

I'm sorry this was such a short review, I tried to be honest and pick out parts I thought could do with improving. Thank you for reading this review and providing a wonderful piece for us to read.

Write to the future and beyond,

~ Blue ^-^

Cathe993 says...

Thanks so much! Yes, I'll try to think what I can change "being firstborn" to in different places. :)

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:21 am
mikey wrote a review...

Hello! Its Mikey for a review,

First, i like the creativity of the poem being that it has been well defined into stanzas depending on the change in idea. I think it could be wise and encouraging when you could have first pointed out the positive sides of being a firstborn and then later talk about the negatives. This will first impress appreciation then later later express the complain over it: Meaning, i could prefer the third and the fourth stanzas to appear before the first and the second.
Second, the use of the word ' being firstborn' looks vague because it is too monotonous and the poem looks much of just the word 'being firstborn'.

Cathe993 says...

Thanks so much!!

Someday, everything is going to go right for you, and it will be so wonderful you won't even know what to do.
— Hannelore Ellicott-Chatham, Questionable Content