Divergent- A poetic diatribe.

by Catalyst

Hey there. I needed to blow off some steam today.

Don't expect too much from this, and don't take my harshness too seriously.

Divergent immediately does a lot of things wrong,

So at least it starts as it means to go on,

We're welcomed to a world of dystopia, and you know how this goes,

The Author has the creativity of a cucumber-- And it shows,

A wall on it's border, with "nothing" beyond, 

An outside world that just won't respond,

Your faction is decided by a personality trait, 

The first of the plot-points I passionately hate,

But even if this rule makes almost no sense,

The exception to it is Divergence.

I realize I haven't talked about our protagonist yet,

But don't worry, my friend-- You've already met.

Imagine Katniss Everdeen, 

Remove personality and add a machine,

Give her a predictable sponge for a head,

Or just imagine a piece of cardboard instead.

Either way, when Tris discovering her condition,

She begins to feel a premonition,

That those in her predicament, 

Don't live long enough to lament.

However, she keeps her secret with the help of a kind soul,

And, seemingly without any goal,

Joins the Dauntless, a group who are about as edgy,

As a sphere, but let's get ready (Rhyming failure)

To meet Tobias, who goes by the alias,

of Four, now Que the uproar,

He may as well have "Romantic Interest" spelled out on his head,

And has the emotional range of a piece of bread,

Still, after Tris' initiation, 

She goes on drugs, not to achieve elation,

But to face her fears, and this, my peers,

is the single good idea in a book that brought me to bored, bored tears,

She becomes part of a rebel resistance, in need of assistance,

To stop the Erudite Government's plan,

Which is so absurd it made me deadpan,

They have a magic serum,

Which brings on the kind of delirium,

That brainwashes even better than Facebook, as a medium,

But with a swift blow to the head, 

The main antagonist is immediately knocked dead,

And here, we swerve on my main gripe with this book,

There's never engagement, tension, not even a hook!

I know I've described this with the broadest of strokes,

But even in telling this with mirthful jokes,

I find my brain crying, pleading for stimulation,

To escape this idiotic simulation,

Of real creativity, intrigue, character dynamics and lore,

Or even coherency, I ask for no more!

While this book has a fair twist or two,

It doesn't excuse it for not having a clue,

As to how to direct it's scenes, guide our dreams,

too wonder and fun, and with that, I'm done.

CharlotteS wrote a review...

Well.
I must say I'm not too sure what to say about this. I am as big a book critique as the next person but I am also a book worm. This means that I have a wide variety of books that I enjoy in various different genres.
I do think this tells the story of the films more than the books.
I don't think you have quite grasped what happened in Divergent. Don't take me the wrong way but I took so much more away than this. You don't seem to have noticed the depth in Four and Tris's characters. And the fact that there is so much more to this story than what you have written.
There are more than just drugs, and she didn't take them to 'face her fears'. These drugs were forced upon her. I do understand why you don't see much to Tris's personality at first read but if you look in depth there is so much more to her than meets the naked eye. And four does not have a a sponge for a head. He has brains, and he uses them wisely. He has been offered the job of leading the Dauntless many times but has declined because he thinks that he will make more of a difference training people.

Now what I did like about this was your use of language and the fact it rhymed. It is very difficult to find a poem that rhymes these days and I do enjoy reading the ones that do.

Quick disclaimer: This is my opinion, which is different to yours. Don't take any of this personally. Your writing is phenomenal but I just didn't like what you were saying in this.

Catalyst says...

It's possible I've been too harsh on this, but I do stand on the fact that they're weak characters, in my opinion. At any rate, I'm always happy to find some new thoughts on it, and I'll admit readily that this was made a year after reading the thing.
Either way, thanks!

Megrim wrote a review...

This was hilarious. I don't know if I can really review this per se, but I totally loved it. I feel the same way about Divergent. Hearing those feelings expressed in rhyme made me giggle.

I'll admit I've only seen the movie. I'm sure the book is different (better?), because that's always the case. However, I totally agree with the characters being bland and defined only by their roles, and the underlying premise being really flimsy. While I enjoy categorization, Divergent seems overly simplistic, and the whole idea of divergent people isn't well developed or explored.

Something that really irritates me is that Tris is supposedly this strong female lead, but she's actually super not. She depends a lot on the men around her, and is often a weak, emotional mess, with little agency of her own. Just because she's the protagonist, and can punch people like a badass, doesn't mean her personality is strong or she's a powerful figure for women to look up to.

Anyway, I don't have much to "review" other than to say I loved it--it was nice hearing someone else vent some steam on the subject, and gave me the chance to do so as well :) This YA dystopian trend is an interesting one, as they all seem to be trying to emulate the Giver, which did so many of the same things so much better. Ah well, Divergent and the like are fun for some guilty pleasure, at least. I didn't think Divergent was nearly as stupid as The Maze Runner! (No offense if you liked it. We like what we like.)

Cheers

Catalyst says...

Thanks for the review! I never actually got around to the Maze Runner-- Divergent just left me so annoyed with the genre that I crawled back into my Fantasy Book corner. And yeah, Tris and Tobias are really, really flimsy characters. They can't hold up a personality trait for more than a Chapter.
Anyway, thanks for humoring my blinding rage!

Gravity wrote a review...

Heya, Gravity here!

So I feel really strange reviewing this because it's a rant. If you want constructive criticism, I shall provide it in a spoiler. you may choose to read it, or not. Your choice.

The only thing I really have to say about this is that at times the rhyming seems very forced. I hate it when writers force rhyme, but I understand why you have. The rhyming couplets of this poem is meant to give it a jaunty, humorous flow, which I understand. But some of the lines just feel a bit awkward, that's all I really have to say!

Also, just to argue your main point. I read Divergent, and while we all have a right to our own opinions, I actually really loved the book. I understand some of your complaints about Tobias being the obvious romantic interest, but does this not happen in just about every other book that includes romance? Whether dystopian or not?

Also, I find it interesting that you complain about the lack of creativity and whatnot, but Dystopian books are a dime a dozen. This is actually a fairly unique series for its genre, as is Hunger Games. I guess I think that everybody sort of has that mainstream series they absolutely hate. For me, I really really hate The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. Cassandra Clare is a terrible writer with an even worse editor. There is mistake after mistake with her grammar, paragraph structure, punctuation, overall flow, etc. Not only that, but Clare introduces way too many characters... really I could go on about it for ages but I don't want to bore you to death. And since all of these authors make way more money than my minimum wage, I don't see any sense in complaining.

Anyhow, I hope you get over your anger XD Happy Writing!

-Gravity

Catalyst says...

Thanks for the review! To address your criticism... I can't. This really was just an hour spent throwing down some rhymes to get across my point.

I'm alright with obvious romantic interests-- After all, I would really hate it if everything turned into a Twilight love triangle. However, to me, that was ALL Tobias was. He's a stone pillar for the character to hug, and nothing more. I agree that Divergent had some good ideas-- Divergent's themselves, as well as the hallucination drug, but the former was never adequately explained to give it any weight, and the latter... well, the latter was used quite well, actually. Probably my high point.
Anyway, like you said, each to their own. Thanks for the read!

Turtles514 says...

good job venting

Catalyst says...

I had been holding that one in for a while... thanks for reading!

Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:30 pm
djmeitar2 says...

I will start off with a few facts about me:
1. I am not native. Consequently, reading this was generally challenging. Yes, a few words I haven't known. Some of the words I had to evoke with the help of deduction. Of course it is for me to bear, but I would just note that in no way will it undermine my general impression about what you created.
2. I neither watched nor read "Divergent". I have watched and read "The Hunger Games". If I had read or watched "Divergent", I might have also disagree. But again, it is not a factor.
3. I had read Literature that presents perspectives and provides criticism about commonly-possessed ideas and beliefs, conventions, human natures, different processes and more humanity-driven concepts. I have not, however, come by a well-educated critique expressed through a poem. I consider it to be highly creative and inevitably sharp, as I believe that in order to construct such a paper, one has to be witty.

I didn't entirely understand every bit, but the message is loud an clear, and is delivered very well, to my humble opinion. Here, literary devices, to which writers should be credited, are not skipped. What is special about the comparison presented, seemingly a mere, non-elastic Literary Device which is pretty distinguishable, is the complex, unique way in which it is made. You don't seem to go back and forth between Katniss and Tris. Instead you ask that the reader use one subject of the comparison in order to derive information about the other subject, which, simultaneously, also compares the two, which I really appreciated. Needless to say I laughed reading this, and making someone laugh is an invaluable ability in many frameworks. In court, making the jury, the judge, or both, laugh, might have an enormous, long-acting impact on the process of the trial, in some favor of the one who does that.
I will finish by saying that the style of wording you have is my favorite. Really adored the language as well as the grammatical methods you use. Keep it up.

Catalyst says...

Thanks for the review, I'm glad you enjoyed!

djmeitar2 says...

Actually, it was not a review, although I COULD use some points, and generally benefit from it for different reason. But I don't think it would be fair to do so, I simply appreciated your work.

Catalyst says...

Wow... have some points, Sir!

Why do we only rest in peace? Why don't we live in peace too?
— Alison Billet