Philosophy

by Cat

[pre]Writers have forever gone deeper than the average philosopher. They have taken work from philosophers, and great thinkers and have gone deeper with the meaning. They have done so much more than people who just go on with life. I don’t think a writer by definition is someone who sits at a computer and types all day, praying for some stroke of brilliance to come over him/her, but the people who after they have learned ‘why the sky is blue’ still really wonder. A writer’s brain is more than most people actually think. Us starving artists are the future of what people believe. We are the future of great minds, and the ‘great perhaps.’[/pre]______________________________________________________________________

[[ Samantha sits at a desk, looking at printer. A sideways stare, watching it as it gets ready to print out a paper. After it has gotten ready for what seems like ages *she looks at the manual to make sure she did everything right* it prints out a page. On the page is has a blank highway and a tree next to it. All in black and white. And at the top, it says in yellow letters, The Great Perhaps. But the printer ink spurted green ink all over the page.]]

Samantha: *In head or narrorator’s voice* If you are looking for your Great Perhaps, is it a sign when it has green ink spurted all over it? I think it’s a sign. But what type of sign? That you should stop looking, because it isn’t what you think? Or just stop looking. Period?

I want to do all the things people say will make you happy, but when the people who say that stuff, don’t even do that, how do you know it’s true? I don’t, and I would like someone to prove it to me. I want to believe that if I please others, I will be happy, but on the other hand, people say that you shouldn’t want to please others, but please yourself. I want to make myself happy, but I’m affected by the mood of others around me. My mom says that means I’m sympathetic. I think sympathetic sounds a lot like pathetic. I don’t want to be pathetic.

I would like to think that everyone is right, everyone is happy, and we are all pretty. But, what about divorce? What about getting a D on a project you spent all of your free time on for over a month? What about those people on the side of the streets that don’t have any money, or food?

What would happen if we just lived our lives, not caring what people did with them? Like, that one saying, ‘If you don’t drive your life, other’s will take the wheel’. It was something like that, but I improvised a little.

Friends. The six letter word. [[Seven if you include the ‘s’]] Have you ever noticed how, when you are in say, Sixth grade, you listen to your friends, you value their opinion, and sometimes change your opinion so it fits their’s. Not right. We have our own opinions, and we need to stick to it. But, say we are in Eighth grade, we challenge others’ opinions because they are wrong, and we are right! Not the best either. Both parties can be right. Find a happy medium.

What if we took the wonderful work of great people like, John Greene, J.K. Rowling, Stephanie Meyer or even Shakespeare, and we lived off of our favorite author’s words? We would not be our own authors of our own life. They would be.

So I hope some people learned something today, or at least got more out of it than another review I have to make, just so I can post my own story. But, I don’t want to be the one who dictates your life, I’m basically Hitler in my own school, much less other schools, so find your own philosophy, and live by it. ‘Good luck, and good night.’

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:47 am
Cat says...

Okay, I fixed it up a bit! I hope you and others enjoy it!

Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:16 pm
Leja wrote a review...

but the people who after they have learned ‘why the sky is blue’ still really wonder.

I don't know if this is or isn't relevant to the monologue, but I like the sentiment of it ^_^

I want to do all the things people say will make you happy, but when they don’t even do that, how do you know it’s true?

This sentence contains a lot of vague pronouns (it, they, etc.). It's alright to use he or she instead.

Interesting idea. Though I wouldn't consider Stephanie Meyer a great author.

The comparing life to a car metaphor is so overused; see what else you can think of to compare it to.

I think the fourth paragraph of the monologue is unnecessary. It's specific and vague at the same time, naming America but also making blanket statements about looking for things. I think it should be taken out.

I don't think that the last paragraph should call attention to the fact that it's a monologue; it doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the tone. Though I do like the sentiment of "so find your own philosophy". Keep that line. And in light of the 'living off other authors' work idea, ending with a quote is perfect.

Don't aim at success--the more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side-effect of one's dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself.
— Viktor E. Frankl