z

Young Writers Society



[deleted]

by CastlesInTheSky


x


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3891
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:12 am
Snoink says...



*LOCKED*

Plagiarism.




User avatar
878 Reviews


Points: 35199
Reviews: 878

Donate
Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:27 pm
Demeter wrote a review...



Hi Sarah!


1. Dresser



At night I lay them out, Nice and sweet opening line, I like it!

each ribbon touched by

so many thumbs, I imagine

myself in one, the warmth

at drawing in each corset tight.

This stanza was, in two words, very beautiful. Good job so far.



Powdered make-up sticks

to my hands, clings Why is there "to"? That kind of stood out for me...

to my tongue as sweet

rouge grabs my cheeks. I believe you could say this a little more... sweetly, you know. "Grab" isn't really the best word for this, especially when I'm imagining this pretty, graceful girl moving like the spring. What I'm saying is that it doesn't fit in the atmosphere, please consider replacing it.



And on stage, eyes Saying the "on stage" does make this a whole lot easier for the reader, but it'd be pretty interesting to see where you can go with this line.

like black ink on me. Not a bad line at all!


I'd hoped you had included some emotion in this, but this was a funnily mysterious poem even without it, so I'm not exactly reprimanding you. I enjoyed reading this.


2. Tower


In the monastery

rosary beads click to the hum This is a disturbingly catching line.

of vespers, while I chalk off Is "chalk off" the best expression for this situation? Are there others ways you could say this?

the days, forget what other leylines

brought me.

Interesting... this makes me want to read more, so nice job for an opening. Unfortunately I don't know the meaning of "leyline", because my vocabulary is not that great after all. :)



And in the tower Not strong enough

the flutter of wings against stone. Hmm, I'm not too crazy about this line, probably the word "flutter" makes it.

This is what you gave me, Consider replacing the comma with a dash

I send it back, hidden in folds

of the messenger's cloak:



a girl's laugh

as she runs for the chapel door. Beautiful ending.


You have an interesting style of writing poems. I've got to say I like that style. I love the feeling of mystery in them.


3. Boy



From the train I Skilful start – want to read more now. :)

see the boy in blue,

the only figure in the field, I'd end the sentence here.

hair white straw, legs as This confused me a little, because the line stops so suddenly. Think about this.

pale, reaching out to climb

railings. His kite stuck

in between electric wires.


I like this very much, too! I'd just like to take the little boy and cuddle him now :) This made go "Awww" inside my mind, haha.


Wow, Sarah – when did your poems become like this? You're talented, and as I said, I like your style. I don't know if you've ever seen the TV show Twin Peaks, but the atmosphere in your poems are like straight from it. It's this oldish, weird and very unique show, and there's a couple of scenes that take place in a room which has red curtains around it, and the room's almost empty. If you haven't seen it and don't know what I mean, you should maybe take a look. :) Keep writing!


Demeter xxx




User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 15394
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:20 pm
Juniper wrote a review...



CastlesInTheSky wrote:3 not-really-connected poems. They were too short to post as seperate ones though. Feeback appreciated.

1. Dresser

At night I lay them out,
each ribbon touched by
so many thumbs, I imagine
myself in one, the warmth
at drawing in each corset tight.

Powdered make-up sticks
to my hands, clings
to my tongue as sweet
rouge grabs my cheeks.

And on stage, eyes
like black ink on me.


(I like this! It reminds me of a night performer... somehow it indicates that the narrator is someone who transforms themselves at night to be someone different? It's really hard to put to words what this means, but I somewhat grasp the feeling. Like, as if, someone is using the make up to mask who they are and then on stage they are someone completely different that everyone looks up to. Or at least looks forward to. I like it anyhow-- and I'm not just saying that because I'm addicted to your poetry)


2. Tower

In the monastery
rosary beads click to the hum
of vespers, while I chalk off
the days, forget what other leylines
brought me.

And in the tower
the flutter of wings against stone.
This is what you gave me,
I send it back, hidden in folds
of the messenger's cloak:

a girl's laugh
as she runs for the chapel door.

(Hmm... this is good. It reminded me of a church setting with some thing spiritual to it. It seems like it's supposed to have some hidden message-- almost prophecy to it. I like poems like this that are vague and leave the reader thinking about it until they figure out what it all means. Very, very well done Sarah!)


3. Boy

From the train I
see the boy in blue,
the only figure in the field,
hair white straw, legs as
pale, reaching out to climb
railings. His kite stuck
in between electric wires.

(This made me think of a homeless boy, or a boy who constantly wanders the streets who finds amusement in simple things such as a kite, and holds onto them. Something about how he's reaching to climb the railings and his kite is stuck, tells us that he wants it back-- almost needs it back, otherwise he would have given up already. It seems like he's going after what little bit he has. Another poem that makes me think deeply :). Welllllllll done!)



Your epicness makes me jealous in a way that's beyond awesome. I'm not enviously jealous... it's like a happy jealous... I probably wouldn't feel that way if I weren't friends with you :lol:

June :)




User avatar
202 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 202

Donate
Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:44 pm
CastlesInTheSky says...



Thankyou for reading. :D




User avatar


Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:53 pm
goldilocks182 says...



Interesting. I really like these. I didn't fully understand them, but they're good all the same.
Keep it up




User avatar
68 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 68

Donate
Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:51 pm
sofi wrote a review...



I found these very intriguing, mainly because I don't fully understand the first two- but in this case I think it can work as a positive thing. They have a certain ambiguity about them which makes them much more interesting to read. Was that intentional?

What were you trying to portray or convey when you wrote them?

Once again, though, really well done! :D

Sofi.





more fish is always superior to less fish
— Shady