Watching Windows - Chapter 21

by CastlesInTheSky

Everything happened really quickly after that.

Kirsty and I screamed, “Ruby!” simultaneously, and rushed over to the edge, peering over, trying to

see her in the pitch black.

My heart was racing and my hands were clammy. I was praying that the pavement all that way down had no-one lying on it, that there was nothing on it but food wrappers, wheelie bins, and puddles from the recent downpour.

I wished and wished and made oaths and promises, hoping that all of this would ensure Ruby’s safety. Gripped with nausea, it was as if my insides had amassed into one and my heart sank to join the thick knots in my stomach.

“Come down here!” shouted a policeman, already shinnying halfway down the wall, held up by a rope, the kind they use for abseiling. “She’s hung on...she’s here!”

He shone a torchlight down, illuminating her scared, tensed face. She was hanging off the greasy drainpipe with the one arm that wasn’t broken, her spindly legs dangling in the choking black air. A spider hung by a single unravelling thread. Her right foot was slipping out of its drab shoe, she saw this and shook her foot, trying to shift it back on.

The trainer slid off and fell down noiselessly. She flinched with the shock. Her fingers tightened their grasp on the pipe. None of us said it but we were all thinking, would this be Ruby’s fate?

The policemen clambered down, held and one of them stretched out a hand.

“Come on now, Ruby. Give me your hand.”

She shook her head, trying to appear fearless, but we could all see her terrified eyes, her trembling body. “I’m not doing anything you say.”

“Ruby!” I yelled again. I shook off the grip of the policewoman and skidded down the roof. I would have fallen were it not for the policeman. I shook him off and went further down. He would have made me go back up but then he saw what I was doing, and simply held me round the waist so I didn’t fall.

I stretched out my hand, this time. It was nearly close enough to touch hers, but not quite.

“Ruby, take my hand.” I couldn’t believe it. I was pulling a Leo di Caprio with a straight face. How very Titanic. It would have sounded ludicrous were it said in any other situation but this. She’d have laughed till her face dropped off but now her green cat eyes were widened with fright, her mouth gasping for air.

“Take it, Ruby.” I tried extending my quivering hand, stretching the stout fingers to their full length so she would hold on. “Ruby. If you go...I’ll have nothing without you.”

She looked up, shook scarlet hair out of her eyes and blinked at me, looking as if she had just made a discovery or uncovered a secret or ... or pieced together a jigsaw puzzle. She shuddered as another puff of wind threatened to unbalance her, breathed in shakily, and gripped my hand.

The policeman helped to hoist her up, and then she stood there in front up me, shaking with either the fear or cold.

We did not do the whole clichéd running into eachother's arm facade, but she walked up to me, firmly escorted by a policeman, and gave me a small smile. After that my head started whirling, I felt as if I were walking through tar and I saw the world through a filmy grey mist, before I collapsed.

PC Jones caught me before I hit the asphalt ground of the roof, and she put her hands under my armpits and with the assistance of a policeman picked me up.

I was still conscious enough at that point to notice that Ruby was being dealt with in the same way. We were hoisted down the skylight, carried down the spiralling steps, into the warm back seat of the police car. Thick mohair blankets were wrapped around us as the engine revved up, and then, warm and rocked by the purring of the motor, I drifted off into sleep.

***

I woke up from my sleep to find myself in a policeman’s arms, being carried up the stairway leading to my apartment. Seeing that I had woken up, he gingerly lowered me down to my feet, and we climbed the flight together. He rung the doorbell and when Mum had answered he had a quick word with her and then tipped his hat and walked back downstairs.

I entered the flat and stood facing Mum in silence, until something clicked and a dam burst. Our faces crumpled up simultaneously and I hurried into her arms, my head against her chest, crying and wondering why it had taken so long. Mum was doing exactly the same, and we just stayed in that position, weeping uncontrollably.

I was knelt by her wheelchair and Mum’s arms were extended round me, keeping me together even though everything was falling apart.

Then, finally, she managed to breathe a bit, and choke out, “Oh, Melia. I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry. How could I have treated you this way, all this time? Please forgive me, Melia. I’m sorry…”

I interrupted her, hiccupping through my tears.

“No, mum…It wasn’t your fault. No-one could blame you…oh, mum, I’m sorry. I should have been there for you, I should have faced up. I don’t know why I went off with Ruby, Mum. I didn’t mean to -”

“Don’t apologise to me, darling. Don’t apologise. You’re…you’re so grownup. You’ve had to grow up so quickly, all because of me. No, darling, it wasn’t up to you to be there for me. I know now I should have been there for you. I shouldn’t have been so self-absorbed.

It was just so difficult for me," Mum continued. "When your father left and…and I just felt inadequate, all over again, just like it was when he was here. You needed him more than you needed me, even in his absence, and…oh Melia, I just wanted to be needed. It was so important for me to be needed then, because…because of how helpless I was. It was my stupid pride, and I just took it out on you.” Mum gasped for breath.

And it took that to make me realise. However much I had loved Dad, and idolised him, and despite all his wonderful surprises and his charming ways, he hadn’t been there when I needed him most. He had walked out and abandoned me, at the time I needed him most, and nothing, nothing was going to change that.

Mum. Now I look back on it, Mum had always been the thing holding a dysfunctional family together. She had been the one who put on a brave face whenever there was an argument between her and Dad; whereas Dad would generally storm out the house.

Why did I blame her so much on such days, and take out my anger on her? Dad should have been the one at the recipient end of my frustration, not Mum. But that was done, and over, and could not be changed.

What could be changed was our future. My future with Mum. the woman I had ignored and set aside when Dad was around, she hadn’t left me in the lurch. She had ignored me, for a while, but here she was now, pouring out her heart to me and facing up to every problem. Mum was the one I needed now, and she was the one I needed to get through this with.

“Mum,” I whispered, leaning my head on her shoulder. “Mum, I do need you. I need you terribly, right here, right now, and I always will.”

She turned, and something inside her, some bitter, resentful tightness that she had been carrying for ages seemed to break. She flinched quietly for a moment, and then breathed out heavily; looking completely released of some burden that I would never know of. “Amelia,” she said softly. “I love you.”

“I love you too, Mum,” I replied, and the words felt good in my mouth. “I love you too.”

__________________________

Yes, I know, a bit of a corny end to this chapter but beware! This book is not yet over yet - though the end is rapidly approaching.

jasmine12 wrote a review...

“I’m not doing anything you say.”

I really don't think this is the best time to be stubbern, Ruby.
haha
~~~~~~~~~~
How very Titanic.

Question mark here. Love that movie...very funny.
~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, I'm kinda seeing a twist and conclusion type thing. But like, I dunno, it seems weird to blame her dad. Like, maybe she could be sort of thankful that he left so she could have the experiences that she had and be closer to her mom, that was never to blame? I dunno. do whatever you want.
~~~~~~~~~~~
“Amelia,” she said softly. “I love you.”

What just happened? With all the flinching and what not? Like I dont understand, had she never said this to her before?
~~~~~~~~~~~~
This book is not yet over yet - though the end is rapidly approaching. [/b]
[/quote]
Yay!

Pm me when you post some more up....Although, this would be a nice place to end it. How much is to much, ya know?

Bye =]

I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
— Mitch Hedberg