z

Young Writers Society



Broken - 3

by CastlesInTheSky


III - Carnival

This is such a big mistake.

She cannot believe her mother has brought them here.

A blur of coloured Christmas lights arc between the happy faces of people laughing, talking, enjoying themselves. She walks with Esther and her mother in a rigid line, counterfeit smiles sewn across their cheeks.

They don't belong here.

A carnival worker accosts them, shoving vouchers and leaflets into their cold hands. He ushers them along the curving gravel path, pointing at the rides zooming around on either side of them. She cannot help thinking, Is it so obvious that we are lost?

"Thank you," her mother says, her face a tense mask of forced gratitude. "We'll be fine."

The worker frowns slightly and then pastes his kind, helpful grin back on his wrinkled face.

As she watches him walk away, she wonders whether anything is real and if everyone is playing the same Let's Pretend game.

What is real?

"I'm hungry," Esther moans, a pout blooming over her rosy lips.

"Okay," her mother says, running a finger agitatedly through her brittle hair. "Let's get lunch."

They stumble through the carnival as the first snow begins to fall. They squint through the white flakes, their shoes crunching on frozen gravel.

She cups her hand and lets the snow collect there, lingering for a second before melting away into the delicate lines of her palm.

They find the cafe and sit at a small green table sheltered by the overbiting roof. They sit upright on their flimsy chairs, icy clouds drifting out of their mouths each time they breathe. A bored looking waiter approaches and distributes laminated menus to each of them.

“Jasmine tea, please," she says. As always.

Her mother sighs heavily. "Are you sure you don't want anything else, Sarah?" she says with a voice ridged with forced composure. "You always ask for this Chinese tealeaf crap."

She shakes her head and the tangled brown web of hair falls over her thin face. A curtain to hide from the world behind. She blushes as her mother glares at her, willing her to speak.

Does the waiter know they're not normal? Does he know who he's serving? Does he care?

Between gritted teeth, her mother orders the rest of the food. The waiter gathers up the menus and stalks back into the kitchen. The three of them sit in silence and she can hear the sound of her mother’s watch ticking.

She wriggles her toes and realises that the snow has melted through her shoes. Her feet are soaked and freezing in their skimpy socks.

The waiter returns and serves the meal. Her mother and Esther hastily heap food onto their plates and bring spoons to their mouths. They are desperate for something, anything to fill the terrifying silence.

She lifts the delicate teapot and the steaming brown liquid pours down the ridged spout. She brings the tiny white cup to her lips, musing on its fragility. If she squeezed her bony fingers tighter around its skeletal frame, it would surely snap and shatter into pieces. Its life is in her hands.

She takes a sip of the jasmine tea and basks in its fragrance, enveloping her and seeping through her pores.

She notices a man sitting at the adjacent table. He is red-haired; nervous and rumpled-looking. He is holding a tattered book and turning its pages but he is not reading; she can tell. He suddenly looks up from the book and meets her gaze.

She tears her eyes away; her nerves are on edge.

Why is he looking at her? Can he tell she’s an outsider? Can he tell she has no right to be here, amongst the normal, happy, laughing people? Does he hate that she was watching him?

Her hand trembles violently and she quickly puts down her teacup on the saucer. Her grip on the handle jerks and the cup topples over, rolling onto the floor. The liquid gushes out, seeping into the cracks of the gravel and tinting the snow brown. Jagged pieces of white china are strewn beneath her chair.

She picks up a remnant and brushes her finger against it. The sharp edge bites through the skin and she drops it as if it were a hot coal. She squeezes her eyes shut and braces herself as the shaking starts.

“No,” she whispers, her face contorting with frustration. “Please, no.”

“Why, Sarah?” her mother is asking, holding her shoulder across the table.

She shrugs her off and the shaking becomes more violent, more frenzied. Her mother leaps out of the chair and faces her. “Stop it,” she says in a low, urgent tone.

She cannot stop. She can’t make herself. She cannot help the poison leaking into her mind and overpowering her brain. She cannot help the thoughts lying in wait for her, coiled like an evil snake ready to spring out.

“Stop it,” her mother repeats, louder. “Listen, Sarah. You can make yourself stop. You don’t have to have another panic attack. Stop it. Stop it NOW.”

Everyone can hear. Everyone is looking at them. Everyone can see they don’t belong in this world.

“Stop it, godammit!” her mother shrieks. Words spill out of her mouth, broken and bitter. They tear a rent through the soft, serene harmony of the snowfall. The cafe is hushed, shocked.

Her mother grabs her by the shoulders as if she weighs nothing and shakes her and shakes her and shakes her. Sarah gasps for breath, empty tears spilling over her frozen lashes.

The smell of buttery popcorn, sweet candyfloss, salty sweat and icy fear fill her sinuses as the metal taste of embarrassment closes up her throat. Heightened but fragmented senses of smell, sight and taste vie for attention against a dull backdrop of humiliation and sorrow.

Her mother releases her and hugs Esther, sobbing into her hair.

Protecting her from the monster.

Everyone is staring at them, the freaks, the lunatics, the problem family.

Sarah turns around, her legs almost buckling, and runs off into the snowfall.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
202 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 202

Donate
Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:01 pm
CastlesInTheSky says...



Thankyou for reading Rosey.
I understand what you mean about it feeling detached. The reason for that is probably because this is the chapter before the action in this story begins.
:wink: Thanks again.




User avatar
1272 Reviews


Points: 89625
Reviews: 1272

Donate
Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:18 pm
Rosendorn wrote a review...



Okay, well, here are my thoughts on this chapter. Don't kill me after reading this:

You've lost me. The description at the beginning didn't really match up with the flow of the chapters before, nor does it have much to do with the end. The Carnival is only a setting, not a rich as the chapters before.

Overall, I found this rather detached from everything. I might review it again in two months (circumstances in my life will be better for critiquing a more real-life piece like this) but for now, I can't see how this fits in with everything, other then as an event to give a snippet or two of info.




User avatar
878 Reviews


Points: 35199
Reviews: 878

Donate
Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:12 pm
Demeter wrote a review...



Hey, Sarah!

This was generally a very good chapter!


They don't belong here.


The parts in italics are supposed to be her thoughts, right? Well, in that case I believe you meant "we don't belong here", because of course the happy and laughing people belong there in the carnival? Or have I completely misunderstood this?


What is real?


At first I was going to say "You're repeating this again, not good, replace it, blah blah blah" but then I realized that it's what brings everything together and its appearance in this chapter, as well, makes it powerful. Good.


She cups her hand and lets the snow collect there, lingering for a second before melting away into the delicate lines of her palm.


So beautiful.


"You always ask for this Chinese tealeaf crap."


"Tealeaf crap" seems a little phoney for this, seeing as it's not very uncommon to drink tea in Britain. ;)


Again, you're very brave to share all this with us. It must have been difficult to write this. I just want to give you a hug now. *hugs*


Demeter xxx




User avatar
410 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 410

Donate
Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:16 pm
Alainna wrote a review...



Heya Sarah,

You have yet another intriguing and absorbing part here.

A blur of coloured Christmas lights arc between the happy faces of people laughing, talking, enjoying themselves

There's nothing wrong with this sentence but I'm being very nit-picky with your work (because you are writing at a high level) so I shall suggest something anyways. I reckon that the 'enjoying themselves' is a little bit void as you have described people 'laughing and talking'. What you could perhaps do is put a dash in instead of a comma so it read like this '...happy faces of people laughing, talking - enjoying themselves'.

Its life is in her hands.

You missed an apostrophe out in 'Its'.

She takes a sip of the jasmine tea and basks in its fragrance, enveloping her and seeping through her pores.

I think you need to describe the feeling of the tea going down here. I know from experience that when you haven't eaten for very long periods of time, anything which you swallow feels very different to what it normally does. Perhaps try describing that protesting feeling that your stomach gives out - the feeling that you're going to bring it back up etc.

Yes, this was a short part, but I liked it. As I've said before, you can always put in a tad more description. Sarah's mother's emotions could have been portrayed a little bit better here - I think a description of her panicked/angry face when she realises that Sarah's about to have a panic attack would be good. Perhaps even comparing it to her mothers calm face that she remembers from her early childhood would work. I also think that all your chapters need bulking out and connecting - your story goes from scene to scene and there isn't really anything linking everything together. We know little about Sarah's world - the country she lives in and general information like that.

I think that your general description of the carnival was excellent and that you are very talented at capturing Sarah's thoughts and putting them onto the page (I understand that they were perhaps at one point your thoughts but it's still not easy to put things like that down on paper).

Keep writing and posting,

Alainna
xxx




User avatar
202 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 202

Donate
Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:41 pm
CastlesInTheSky says...



:D

Ashleylee - Thankyou so much. No-one's ever told me something like that before. I don't mind your review being short. You are too kind. Thankyou.

Merry Haven - Thankyou very, very much. I promise to write the next part, I just need to get my writing cap on as school tends to crush all my inspiration. Thankyou again. Your comments are lovely and make my day.

PraiseJoe - Thankyou so much for reading. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for reading it all up to here.

Sapphire - As always, your reviewing was outstanding and helped me in both the technical and literary sense of my story. Thanks so much for all your detailed reviewing. You're a star.

XDox - Your document downloads, are, as ever, a joy to read. You really motivate me and encourage me. You are really helping to improve my writing. Thanks so much.


Thanks all for persevering with Broken!

--Sarah




User avatar
208 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 208

Donate
Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:55 pm
Merry_Haven wrote a review...



Sarah-
Wow. That's all I can say. It was strangely captivating.
I've all up to this chapter and where's part 4?
You have to write the next part. Don't just leave us hanging.
I want more. Need more of this story.
How can Sarah's mom act like that when she has panic attacks? And how does her sister feel about this?
Overall, this hit me and I need to talk to you.
-Merry




User avatar
842 Reviews


Points: 1075
Reviews: 842

Donate
Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:15 pm
ashleylee wrote a review...



How can her mother expect her to get better when she is approaching the issue like that? Jeesh…but as you can see, I am really growing quite attached to this story. It is such a powerful impact on who ever reads it. You have a gift. No lie. :D

I’m sorry. This will be the shortest of all of your reviews. I noticed nothing wrong with this one, nor is their a favorite line because I liked them all again :wink:

Keep up the good work!

Please PM me when you write more.




User avatar
202 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 202

Donate
Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:54 pm
CastlesInTheSky says...



Thankyou very much :D

xxx




User avatar
51 Reviews


Points: 1046
Reviews: 51

Donate
Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:53 am
praisejoe says...



i have been following up

your story broken.

it has been intresting all the way.

i am glad the story is now gaining more and more momentum

probably from your

new discoveries or so.

keep writing

thanks




User avatar
140 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 140

Donate
Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:35 pm
Sapphire wrote a review...



CastlesInTheSky wrote:
The worker frowns slightly and then pastes his kind, helpful grin back on his wrinkled face.
As she watches him walk away, she wonders whether anything is real and if everyone is playing the same Let's Pretend game. I like that observation.

"Okay," her mother says, running her fingers agitatedly through her brittle hair. Sounded odd before. "Let's get lunch."


They find the cafe and sit at a small green table sheltered by the overbiting roof. 'Overbiting roof' sounds strange but maybe it's just a phrase I've never heard before. They sit upright on their flimsy chairs, icy clouds drifting out of their mouths each time they breathe. A bored looking waiter approaches and distributes laminated menus to each of them.


She shakes her head and the tangled brown web of hair falls over her thin face. A curtain to hide from the world behind. She blushes as her mother glares at her, willing her to speak.


It seems like you prefer to refer to the main character as 'she', but I think at this point 'Sarah shakes her head' would clarify the situation. I thought this was referring to her mother at first. Also, 'web' doesn't feel like a very good word to use here. Maybe 'and her tangled brown hair falls' would work?

She lifts the delicate teapot and the steaming brown liquid pours down the [s]ridged[/s] spout. She brings the tiny white cup to her lips, musing on its fragility. If she squeezed her bony fingers tighter around its skeletal frame, it would surely snap and shatter into pieces. Its life is in her hands.


I like the almost double-meaning of that last sentence. I wanted to read it as 'It's life in her hands'. It suggested its fragility, then when we see the cup break later on, it's almost symbolic.

She notices a man sitting at the adjacent table. He is red-haired; nervous and rumpled-looking. He is holding a tattered book and turning its pages but he is not reading; she can tell. He suddenly looks up from the book and meets her gaze.

She tears her eyes away; her nerves are on edge.


Too many semicolons in that section. Maybe take out the first one.

She picks up a remnant and brushes her finger against it. The sharp edge bites through the skin and she drops it as if it were a hot coal. She squeezes her eyes shut and braces herself as the shaking starts.


'A hot coal'? You use all this amazing description then resort to 'a hot coal'? You can come up with a different simile, I'm sure. :wink:

She cannot stop. [s]She can’t make herself.[/s] She cannot help the poison leaking into her mind and overpowering her brain. She cannot help the thoughts lying in wait for her, coiled like an evil snake ready to spring out.


“Stop it, godammit!” her mother shrieks. [s]Words spill out of her mouth, broken and bitter.[/s] Her broken, bitter words [s]They tear a[/s] rent [s]through[/s] the soft, serene harmony of the snowfall. The cafe is hushed, shocked.


The smell of buttery popcorn, sweet candyfloss, salty sweat and icy fear fill her sinuses as the metal taste of embarrassment closes up her throat. Heightened but fragmented senses of smell, sight and taste vie for attention against a dull backdrop of humiliation and sorrow.


This section is too wordy - you have an adjective for almost every noun in the first sentence. Try to cut a couple otherwise you might overwhelm the reader. On the other hand, I suppose it reflects Sarah being overwhelmed so it could be argued that this is effective!

I'm glad that you've now got a good idea of where you're going with the plot and so on. I felt this chapter did well on showing more about Sarah's condition and her mother. I like the way you describe things, and add in details like the snow melting into the lines of her hand. The only point I would suggest for improvement from this chapter would be Esther. We don't see her speak at all. It's like she is part of the background. What was her reaction to Sarah's panic attack?

As ever, just PM me if you need any advice. I'll keep reading!




User avatar
145 Reviews


Points: 1090
Reviews: 145

Donate
Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:12 pm
deleted2 wrote a review...



HEY, YOU :P
I said I was gonna be back to review this part, so here I am !! *OMG*
So, yea.
I enjoy reading the whole series of Broken, and think they’re well-written and generally of good quality. Naturally there is room for improvement, but then again, there always is. The emotions you convey in the story come across as very real, and very vivid, and we as readers can really begin to feel what the character is going through. You’ve really got description down, and use some amazing phrases in the stories, but you need to work on atmosphere, details, and making proper paragraphs. One-lined paragraphs are too small, so fatten them up a bit, show us more, show us what it feels like to walk there. Does the cold bite her skin? Does her breath cloud before her face? Does her little sister shiver? Does she wish she’d worn gloves? That kind of stuff.

Let me know if you post more.

XxxDo

Ps. You know you're supposed to open the attachment, right? :wink:




User avatar
202 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 202

Donate


The Twelve Makeovers of Haircules is the stuff of legend. He defeated the Erymanthian Beard. One could say it was a hair raising adventure.
— KateHardy