Frozen Trains

by CassandraInvisible

*This story is inspired by a friend. I want to make it PERFECT before showing it to him. So I need heaps of advice! Also if you have any ideas for a better title please share.*

As the train pulled into the station I frantically scoured the faces on the platform through the grimy window. Even though I was fifteen minutes early for the time we’d agreed to meet, my nerves weren’t calm. They were on fire.

Jostled through the doors onto the platform, I surveyed the area. Ticket booth, toilets, a couple of battered vending machines, a coffee stall. Then a sign which read STEPS TO MAIN STREET, pointing away from the platform. Meet me at the top of the steps to the main street his message to me last night had said.

I looked at my watch for about the hundredth time in the last five minutes. Thirteen minutes until meeting time. In exactly eleven minutes, I would go to the top of the steps. Until then... I’d slowly die of a heart attack? It felt like I was going to, the organ which kept me alive hammering madly in my chest.

I thought my legs might give way under me, so I headed to a bench beside the vending machines. I watched people board the carriages, the doors hiss closed, and then the train slowly chug away. Nine minutes. My hands shook, my spirit shook. I couldn’t remember ever feeling this nervous in my life. All the times we’d stayed up messaging until three in the morning, all the sweet words and promises, could not have prepared me for this. I’ll be there he said. But would he? The last guy wasn’t.

Seven minutes. The coffee man looked like he hadn’t had much business that morning. He sat on a crate behind his stall, head propped on hand, reading a crumpled paper. I had an idea. The hours I had spent scouring his profile, memorising everything, had paid off. He loved coffee. Double shot mocha was his favourite. Standing up and digging my wallet out of my pocket, I headed over to the coffee stall. “Two large double shot mochas please.” The coffee man looked as if he’d just won the lottery.

Hot cups of coffee in hand, it was time. I wondered too late if the coffee was a bad idea. I was shaking so bad, I might spill it on my new white jacket. That would make a really good first impression. Then I realized that first impressions had already been made, the first time that we’d talked. I’d fallen for him instantly. And, he said, he’d fallen for me too. We’d swapped pictures, so appearances wouldn’t be a surprise. I shouldn’t be nervous. All I had to do was get my voice to work, to speak words that weren’t stupid or senseless.

I passed through an archway, and found myself at the top of the steps. There were no benches, so I stood awkwardly, the heat from the cups radiating through my hands. My breath caught in my throat when I saw a figure approaching up the steps, but it was just a businessman.

I took a sip of coffee. I was no connoisseur, I didn’t know if he’d consider it crappy or not. Heck, I didn’t even know how he’d consider me, in the flesh, no screen to hide behind. My watch told me that meeting time had arrived. There was no backing out now. Well, I could probably dump the coffee in the rubbish bin and make a run for it. But I wasn’t going to do that, I couldn’t do that. It wasn’t an option. I wasn’t going to be like the last guy, I wasn’t going to chicken out. I wanted this.

The minutes ticked by. First it was two minutes, then five. A group of schoolgirls came past, giggling in that schoolgirl-way. More minutes came and went. Maybe I was at the wrong place? But it was a small station. How many steps to the main street could there be? He was like the last guy. I felt pathetic, the boy standing forlornly with a cup of gradually cooling coffee in each hand. I was always the one left waiting. It would probably stay like this my entire life. Some people never run out of bad luck.

He wasn’t coming. Five minutes is running late, ten minutes is slept through the alarm. Fifteen minutes is not coming. Why did I always do this? Get my hopes up so high, against my better judgement, ignore the pessimist in me and listen to the optimist, like an angel and a devil on each shoulder. I was so stupid; I deserved to be stood up. I only had myself to blame for this.

Somebody tapped my shoulder lightly. I froze, the breath taken right from my lips. Slowly turn around.

His eyes were even bluer than in his pictures.

Wed May 14, 2008 8:13 am

Unfortunately, you've a very bland writing style it just doesn't do it for me. It was only the end I really got interested. It was a very big shock. What this peice lacks is nothing really flows into each other. Each small thing doesn't click to the bigger picture. Right, think of it like this, in New York you take random photos of places no where near each other. Only thing in common is the name, but no connection between a picture of the Empire State Building and Central Park, there's no real connection. Now lets make this much bigger say you took random pictures in France and Africa, again no connection, but much larger.

This, my friend is what your peice so greatly needs connectivity. Because all I see right now is small events, which don't add up or are coherenet.

Overall: Each event must tie into each other. Even in short stories.

Good luck
VSN

Wed May 14, 2008 4:43 am
Squall wrote a review...

Hey Cassandra :)

Even though I was fifteen minutes early for the time we’d agreed to meet, my nerves weren’t calm. They were on fire.

Ok. First of all, the description that shows that her nerves weren't calm is clumsy. "They were on fire". By that, it doesn't really capture the showing that well, as it lacks impact and perceptive.

Here is an example of well thought out descriptive language from the novel we are currently studying in English called "A Gathering Light".

Everything changed as I spoke. Aunt Josie's smile slid off her face like ice off a tin roof.

A Gathering Light is a historical fiction which takes place in the Adirondack Mountains during the early 20th centaury. Because of where the narrator lives, this simile above is very effective, as tin roofs were used as the shelter for the their homes and it was Winter recently.

When you are using descriptive language, think about how it will be unified in a text. Think it though, don't just dump something that has little connection with the setting, plot, characters etc.

You also used the word "frantically" which is an adverb. Try to keep adverbs to a minimum. Adverbs are a way of "telling" the reader as to how your main character perform such actions. Ever heard of "show vs tell"? You want to keep the amount of showing higher than the amount of telling in a piece. Here, I think you could had used descriptions to show how she was running frantically.

What is her emotional reaction to this? Here is a time for characterization. Does where she originated from conflicts with what she is seeing now?

Until then... I’d slowly die of a heart attack? It felt like I was going to, the organ which kept me alive hammering madly in my chest.

This is clumsy still, but to a much lesser extent than the previous one. Have a play on it.

I thought my legs might give way under me, so I headed to a bench beside the vending machines. I watched people board the carriages, the doors hiss closed, and then the train slowly chug away.

Are these important?

My hands shook, my spirit shook. I couldn’t remember ever feeling this nervous in my life. All the times we’d stayed up messaging until three in the morning, all the sweet words and promises, could not have prepared me for this.

The shaking of the narrator's hands would had worked if you had shown more of the setting.

Seven minutes. The coffee man looked like he hadn’t had much business that morning. He sat on a crate behind his stall, head propped on hand, reading a crumpled paper. I had an idea. The hours I had spent scouring his profile, memorizing everything, had paid off. He loved coffee. Double shot mocha was his favourite. Standing up and digging my wallet out of my pocket, I headed over to the coffee stall. “Two large double shot mochas please.” The coffee man looked as if he’d just won the lottery.

There needs to be a more fluid switch from the above to this paragraph. The coffee scene feels detached; it doesn't seem to be relevant. And do we really care what kind of coffee and likes and all that other additional information here? Be concise, don't waffle.

Hot cups of coffee in hand, it was time. I wondered too late if the coffee was a bad idea.

I noticed that you've repeated the word "coffee" several times which detract the piece slightly due to repetition.

I was shaking so bad, I might spill it on my new white jacket. That would make a really good first impression.

How doe spilling coffee on a white jacket create a bad first impression? Think in terms of symbolism. What does white represent? Why do people wear jackets? Can I use it to link this to the idea "Frozen trains" through a poetic/ metaphoric way?

Then I realized that first impressions had already been made, the first time that we’d talked. I’d fallen for him instantly. And, he said, he’d fallen for me too. We’d swapped pictures, so appearances wouldn’t be a surprise. I shouldn’t be nervous. All I had to do was get my voice to work, to speak words that weren’t stupid or senseless.

Is it really that easy to fall for someone? Come on make it more convincing.

Overall impressions:

The biggest flaw this piece has is that it lacks unity. I don't really get how this can be called "Frozen Trains". Little of the setting and description is shown in order to support the meaning behind the title and overall theme of the piece (gay relationship). It's near the end that seems to be relevant, everything else before it do little to develop the theme/situation.

I don't really have beef with your writing style, it just fails to deliever the mark.

Andy.

Fri May 09, 2008 12:52 am

Thank you for all your reviews and suggestions.

Memorizing not memorising
Favorite not favourite

I'm from NZ and we spell things a little differently here =D

Quote:

Huh?

What do you mean by huh? What don't you understand?

I may be stupid but I'm still confused if the narrator is a boy or girl...really confused...it might just be me.

The narrator is gay, I just didn't want to state it so bluntly. I tried to make it as clear as I thought was appropriate.

TNCowgirl wrote a review...

CassandraInvisible wrote:*This story is inspired by a friend. I want to make it PERFECT before showing it to him. So I need heaps of advice! Also if you have any ideas for a better title please share.*

Alright, I'll do just that.

Ok, lil rough. Try making it flow better. Like:

As the train pulled into the station I frantically searched the faces on the platform through the grimy windows. Even though I was fifteen minutes early, my nerves were still jumping like crazy. It was almost like the flame in a fire bouncing back and forth.

See, make it more visule. (sp)

I jostled through the doors onto the platform, surveying the area. Ticket booth, toilets, a couple of battered vending machines, a coffee stall. Then a sign which read "STEPS TO MAIN STREET", pointing away from the platform. Meet me at the top of the steps to the main street. That's what his message had said, and that was what set my nerves to jumping.

It felt like I was going to. THe organ which kept me alive hammered madly in my chest as if set on fire itself.

I'll be there. He had said. But would he really. The last guy hadn't, what would be so different about him.

Memorizing not memorising
Favorite not favourite

Uh oh, this can't end good.

My breath caught in my throat when I saw a figure heading up the stairs. But my hopes came crashing down when I saw it was just some businessman.

Uh oh.

Huh?

judgment not judgement

Slowly I turned around my stomach doing flip flops.

Ok, you HAVE to keep going or I'm going to kill you!!!!!!!

By the way, that was just a joke! It was really good and you can't leave me hanging.

miyaviloves wrote a review...

To be completly honest with you I didn't like this piece much, and it wasn't because it wasn't any good, it's just not really my thing.

-This part sounds awkard, jostled also dosen't seem the right word to start with, it looks and sounds awkwardly placed.

KJ wrote a review...

Hey.

Now, I don't know if this is just the mood I'm in, so don't take this too seriously, but I just couldn't get into it. I thought it kind of dull, and I admit to skimming the first few lines. There was nothing to grab my attention, and keep it.

Near the end it got good, but I think that there needs to be a different hook. I would suggest some dialogue, also, but if you don't think that this piece will support it then disregard this.

By the way, I really like your title. It's what made me open this. So good job on that.

Keep writing.

Thu May 08, 2008 11:14 am
Angel of Death wrote a review...

This was beautiful, and I think your friend would love it because I sure do. Well anyways, the only thing I saw was that some of your sentences were not independent clauses and some of your words were in the wrong tense, you know it should be jostling instead of jostled. Well I don't have a lot of time for a full critique but if nobody does it later I'll be back. This was beautiful,
Angel

A Prince of Darkness Is a Gentleman
— William Shakespeare