z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

10 Reasons why Nate is Afraid of Cellphones

by CarsonTheArson


Reason Number One: In the dark of the night, when all is quiet and Nate is curled up in his blankets scrolling through the many pictures and funny posts on his phone, it will decide to betray him and slip through his fingertips, attacking his face and permanently scarring him for the remainder of his life, which will later lead to public ridicule.

Reason Number Two: He is afraid that when the phone rings, and the number is one that he does not recognize, if he dares to answer it there will be a salesperson on the other end of the phone, or someone trying to scam him, claiming that he has won two tickets to a cruise in the Caribbean. Or even worse, there will be no one on the other end of the phone when he answers.

Reason Number Three: Nate has seen the statistics on texting and driving.

Reason Number Four: He is convinced that there are radioactive beams that leave the internal mechanism of cell phones and penetrate the brain, which will eventually turn all of humanity into mindless zombies.

Reason Number Five: When he is least expecting it, the cell phone will give Nate heart attacks by ringing unexpectedly in the most unlikely of places. Thank the lord that it hasn’t rung when he’s had a pot of hot water in hand.

Reason Number Six: He can’t figure out how to delete old text messages. He really hopes Helena won’t find them.

Reason Number Seven: Can’t… stop… playing… Candy Crush…

Reason Number Eight: Oh god! The finger cramping! It’s back!

Reason Number Nine: YWSers can use these devices to go onto YWS, which gives them even more time and availability to stalk him when they are not at their computers and talking about him in the chat room.

Reason Number Ten: Did my phone vibrate? I swear I felt it vibrate just now…


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144550
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:36 am
alliyah wrote a review...



Humorous piece, not a lot of content to review here, but I'll give it my best.

Grammar/Wording
Your grammatical style seems to be long run-on sentences (Reasons 1,2,4,5,9) short matter of fact statements (Reasons 3 & 6) and short dialogue statements (Reason 7, 8, 10). While this grammar may be inappropriate for any other form of literature I think that it is fine for "Reasons Why" lists.

The wording has content specific to Nate/YWS that is humorous for people familiar with YWS but also content specific to phones (Candy Crush, phantom vibrating, finger cramps) which is good as it can be humorous to a wide range of audiences and not seem to vague.

My only real wording critique is that I would be careful in using phrases like "Thank the lord" and "oh god!" in pieces that are meant to appeal to a wide range of audiences/be humorous to a lot of people. While you may gain some points for being dramatic, phrases like these can also alienate people who identify with a religious background that recognizes a God, and may see this language as very disrespectful. (For a Christian, Jew, or Muslim using a phrase like "oh god!" in this context is just as disrespectful as putting a couple swear words in. While it is up to your personal preference and sensibilities of course, it just may help in future work to avoid using language like this in humorous pieces to avoid alienating a particular audience of readers.

Formatting
If you edit this list or do another one of these pieces I would suggest interspersing your long run-on sentences with you quicker reasons, or do every other one for variety's sake. I liked the formatting of this piece the line breaks and the bold text made it clear to read. I would maybe suggest changing the written out numbers to just numbers ie. 1 instead of one - just for a quicker and clearer read.

Overall Meaning/Impressions
Overall this piece was funny and looks like it succeeded in its intended task. I could not find some deep profound meaning behind it, but that is not generally the intention of "Reasons why" lists.

Good luck in future writing!

~alliyah




User avatar
37 Reviews


Points: 995
Reviews: 37

Donate
Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:40 am
PerfectWeapon wrote a review...



I love this already! I have only read reason one, and it is hilarious! In this paragraph, there could be a few more punctuation. I like it so far!

So nate is afraid of scams or no one. This was funny! Wow! I think my grandma has the same fears though. That makes this even funnier.

That should scare anyone, reason three!

I just love the wording! I don't think you can make it sound anymore scientific.

I love reason number five. Sometimes, I wonder how I haven't had a heart attack with rings.

Wow! What is up with number 6? I like it, but what is he saying?? That is really funny, I had similar issues, but it wasn't serious.

My mum can't stop playing this ^^_^^ She is super, totally obsessed.

Why is your finger cramping so much? If you don't use your phone, it won't hurt. You don't have to be afraid of it. ^^

I like the use of this website in number nine.

How is number ten a fear? Well, is it suppose to be him afraid of hallucinations?

Okay, so this was absolutely hilarious! I read them out loud to my friends, and the all loved it! Thank you for sharing this with us!

~PerfectWeapon




User avatar
417 Reviews


Points: 500
Reviews: 417

Donate
Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:24 pm
Willard says...



Ten reasons≠cleverness





This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper.
— T.S. Eliot