z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Average

by CaraF


They say it takes 7 minutes for the average person to fall asleep,

So maybe the reason i can't is because i spend too many of my 7 minutes,

Counting them down.

Or maybe it's because,

I'm just not average.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
193 Reviews


Points: 408
Reviews: 193

Donate
Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:50 pm
Niraco wrote a review...



This actually reminds me a lot of a family member of mine. Once I told her this and she had trouble grasping the idea that it takes seven minutes. (This really as nothing to do with review just some ramblings, sorry).

The poem was far too short to have any real emotion and power within it. I didn't like it very much and couldn't really see a strong subject matter to tackle. Which was a shame as it did have some potential.

I also felt that your ending:

Or maybe it's because,

I'm just not average.


Didn't have any real connection with the rest of the poem. All in all I felt that this was rather weak which pains me to say. Good try though keep it up!




User avatar
70 Reviews


Points: 1665
Reviews: 70

Donate
Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:43 pm
LittleCaroleen wrote a review...



Hi! I'm going to review this now. :)

The idea behind this was rather clever, but I think the delivery was a little weak. I don't understand what you're referring to when you say "counting them down". Counting typically makes me fall asleep so that's why I don't understand.

It would be really interesting if you took other averages that are inconsistent with your personality. I would love to see more added to this. It would make it a lot stronger if it was longer. But I like it for the most part.

Also, Welcome to YWS. :)




User avatar
347 Reviews


Points: 25558
Reviews: 347

Donate
Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:02 pm
OliveDreams wrote a review...



Hello! How are you?

I am by no means a poetry expert so I can't really help you with the technical side of things. I can, of course, give you my ever so important opinion on the content :)

First the things I liked;

I love the overall message. I think that it's something that a lot of people can relate to and I suppose, something that a lot of people wish they could relate to.

My favourite line: "I'm just not average." - It made me smile and made me wonder if the speaker of the poem views this as a good trait or a bad one.

Now on to the constructive criticism:

I wish it had been longer! You could have taken this into so many different directions such as exploring whether not being average is a good thing or a bad thing.

Good luck! Keep writing!

Olive <3




User avatar
18 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 18

Donate
Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:53 pm
mongoose says...



This is really clever i like how it starts out with longer sentences and ending with a shorter scentence its like the character is falling asleep, brill. Love it, thanks for posting!:px




User avatar
124 Reviews


Points: 495
Reviews: 124

Donate
Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:45 pm
Liaya wrote a review...



This is fun! It's pretty awesome for such a small little poem. It has a nice feel to it and a bit of quirk. I would suggest altering the second line a little, however, so it doesn't have so much unnecessary length.

"The say it takes seven minutes for the average person to fall asleep.
Maybe the reason I can't is because I spend my seven minutes
Counting down."

It's just a suggestion. Anyway, fun idea, fun poem!





Democracy! Bah! When I hear that word I reach for my feather Boa!
— Allen Ginsburg