The Coronavirus Prophecy

by CaptainCannon

Beware the king of viruses

Beware the guardian of Earth

Beware the one, despite being unseen

can steal away all your mirth

It issues a warning which must not be ignored  

It provides a lesson for all to see  

Once Nature unleashes her wrath,  

There will be nowhere, left to flee  

The Nature once destroyed is now fighting back,

The predator has been turned into prey

The fearless conquesters are now rats in a cage

Trapped between four walls, dull and grey.

The arrogance of humans lies shattered  

As they kneel before a microbe  

A creature smaller than the tiniest of cells  

perched triumphantly upon the globe.  

It is time now, to change your ways,

It is time to learn from your fear and dread.

The Coronavirus was just a scout,

An entire army lurks ahead.

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:36 am
EvaR14 wrote a review...

I love the way this was formatted and written. It sounds quite like a prophecy you night read in an old myth or story.
The idea of judgement was shown really well. The message was made really clear without sacrificing the style/quality of writing. My favourite lines are probably "The arrogance of human lies shattered / as they kneel before a microbe" (and honestly the whole of this stanza), and "the corona virus was just a scout, / an entire army lurks ahead"

I like the idea of the corona virus warning people to change how they act and the idea that it is a "guardian of the earth" really fits with the significantly reduced amount of carbon emissions globally.

This was beautifully written and simple to read, so thanks for writing :)

StudentAH says...

Yes! This is kind of what I was trying to say. It definitely sounds like a prophecy or like a soothsayer.

StudentAH wrote a review...

OH WOW. I love this idea!

I almost thought the same thing when the coronavirus started spreading through China. I sensed that it was going to reach global and I almost had this fear that it was mother nature taking back the earth from us humans, who have polluted it, destroyed it, and think we are indestructible.

Edit: I almost hate to add this, but the coronavirus started in China... A place where pollution and factories run rampant. It's almost like mother nature chose to hit that Nation first. It's also destroying densely populated areas. Areas where religion takes over people's brains (middle east). Areas where arrogant countries won't do anything about it (USA). It's also killing off people who have low quality lives, smokers, drinkers, etc. It's the ultimate karma disease. or perhaps it's just survival of the fittest... Which is, in a sense, Mother Nature.

And the part about the fact that the virus is smaller than even a cell. That stanza emphasizes how humans, thinking they are so mighty, yet something so puny can get us.

This poem is freaking awesome. I just love how its almost threatening. Its like those really dark "learn your lesson" kind of a message.

And that ending was so impactful.

Thank you for sharing your amazing poem!

BhavyaMehta123 wrote a review...

Hi@CaptainCannon.Welcome to YWS.I hope you have a lovely time here. Each and every line of your poetry is so true and apt! I feel you have raised a issue which needs to addressed so badly and should be understood at this same time.You are right it is high time we change our approach towards mother nature as COVID-19 is just the beginning of nature's fury.I badly want everyone to understand the point raised by you.I am so thankful to you for writing this.
My favorite lines from your work:
"The coronavirus was just a scout,
An entire army lurks ahead."
I feel the poem is well written. Keep up the great work.
From:Bhavya

PhoenixEmberly wrote a review...

I don't usually read poems, but I definitely think the stanza format was simple yet I appreciate it all the same. Interesting word choice here, not quite a word salad which is good, yet diverse enough to keep the short read from being repetitive and making it more interesting. One of the reasons I typically dislike poems is that often the lines in the stanzas are all the same length and such, making for a rugged read as a result of the lack of variation in sentence structure. I am glad to say I didn't find this an issue here, and I think the length and word choice really helped with that issue. Although this poem is topical, I'm not sure that Corona is what should be referred to something which sits atop the globe for right now at least, considering many pandemics have occurred in the past which have been far deadlier such as SARS, Ebola, Aids, Polio, so on and so forth. Aside from that, I enjoyed this nice little poem here.

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:35 am

Air and Water is the gift of nature but we destroying unwisely.we don't respect me nature. Why we hope that nature will respect us... Save the nature... Save the humanity

Don't be pushed around by the fears in your mind. Be led by the dreams in your heart.
— Roy T. Bennett