Things Which Are Seen

by Calliope3

When I gaze at the brilliant night sky,
Dip my feet in the vast, rolling sea,
Hear a newborn baby’s first cry,
Stand beside a thousand-year-old tree,

When I learn of a minuscule intricacy
Of this world, which I’ll never understand,
I never cease to be amazed by the delicacy
Of the work that was done by your hand.

When I observe the people around me,
So thoughtfully, masterfully designed,
I bow my head and I praise thee
For being a God who’s so easy to find.

When I am tempted to doubt or to faint
I'm reminded by the things I can see,
By the beautiful brushstrokes of paint
Of the Painter who watches over me.

~

A/N - I wrote this about my personal belief that evidence of God's love and grace can be seen in His creation (in support of Romans 1:20, not in contradiction of 2 Corinthians 4:18). Romans 1:20 - "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:"  I hope you enjoy it!  Reviews are much appreciated. :D

Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:08 pm
Noelle wrote a review...

Hi there! Noelle here to review as requested!

Sorry I'm late with this, but time got away from me.

Before I start, I want to comment on what Meandbooks said about making this poem relatable to non-Christians/everyone. She's right in a way, but completely wrong in another. The debate about poetry is, and always will be, never ending. Is there a right way to write it? What are the guidelines? Should I be focusing on a select group of people? The great thing about poetry is that it's so expressive and pretty internalized. From the poems and poets I've read, the writing is about whatever they want to write about. Is some of it relatable to everyone? Yes. Is some of it relatable to only a few people? Of course. Neither is right, neither is wrong. If you felt so compelled to write a poem about God and how He has wonderfully made our world, write that poem. You're not going to be able to satisfy everyone that reads your poetry. Or any of your writing really. There's a saying floating around somewhere (I don't remember who said it or if it was even said by someone) that basically says if you're not writing for yourself don't bother writing in the first place. We all want to get published, share our writing with the word, be universally loved and appreciated. But that isn't our only goal. From your poem here I see your goal is to glorify God in a way you're confident in. Don't shy away from your message just because there are people around you who might not understand.

Alright, onto the real review :3

Of the work that was done by your hand.

The 'your' should be capitalized. That one managed to slip through.

One thing that I can't seem to figure out from your poem is if the speaker is talking directly to God or just thinking about how everything they see is made by Him. Okay, well, let me rephrase that. I can tell that the speaker is talking to God, as if during a prayer, but the last two lines contradict that storyline a bit.
By the beautiful brushstrokes of paint
Of the Painter who watches over me.

(I don't know why I'm having so much trouble writing out my thoughts right now, but please excuse the possibly confusing explanation that follows xD) These two lines are wonderful. In fact, they're probably my favorite of the entire poem. However, if this poem is to follow the format of the speaker talking to God, it needs to be reworded slightly. Think about it, when you say your prayers you're talking directly to God, yes? Would you say something like this in your prayers? Or would you say something like "By the beautiful brushstrokes of paint You created as the Painter who watches over me"? Obviously you wouldn't talk in poetry, but the point still stands. The last line especially is too vague, too much like an explanation than a conversation.

Disclaimer: I know that I'm comparing this poem to a prayer a lot, but I just want to say that I don't read it as a prayer. It's a poem and that's how I read it. The way the speaker is talking to God though, makes it so easy to compare to a prayer. Not sure if that's actually important to my review, but I figured I'd mention it. Anyway.

As I read over this poem again, I'm stuck on the idea of the stanzas. Not what's said in each of them, but the fact that there are stanzas. The way this poem is read flows right through from the beginning to the end. The speaker is observing everything in the world that reminds them of God. Each stanza touches on that, continuing where the last one left off. I'm wondering how this would read as a single stanza instead. Just something to think about. I mean, there isn't really anything in this poem that would demand a stanza change. All the images roll one after another, fitting together so easily. A poem doesn't always have to have stanzas, which I'm sure you know already. Just something to consider.

As a whole, your poem is wonderful. There isn't much I can tell you about imagery and meaning and message because it's such a personal poem. You were inspired by scripture and I'm in no place to suggest revisions for something like that. I mean, I did suggest a little, but nothing grand. This is your writing, your message to God from the world surrounding you. Sure the imagery could be stronger, but it doesn't really need to be. This is a straight forward poem written for those out there like you. Like me. I can completely appreciate your feeling of being at awe of the world created around us. I feel the same way every time I look outside my window. Every time I take a breath actually. It's an amazing thought that our Lord created all of this just for us. And by His hands non the less. This is a wonderful poem and I'm glad I got to read it :)

**Noelle**

Calliope3 says...

Thanks for your review! I like your ideas of getting rid of the stanzas and rewording the last two lines to make the whole poem address God like a prayer. My goal writing this poem was to glorify God, and while I did understand what Meandbooks meant about making it more inclusive, I do agree with you more on the fact that I shouldn't have to change my message just because it isn't relatable to everyone who reads it. Thanks again!

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:16 am
Mea wrote a review...

Hey there! I'm here for the review as requested.

I'm Christian myself, and so this resonates with me. I understand exactly the feeling you're trying to convey, because that's exactly how I feel about God.

Of course, there's always room for improvement, and mostly what this could use is just a bit of re-working of the imagery.

In general, I'd recommend not phrasing the whole poem as "When x, I do y," just because that sort of formal, not immediate structure separates the reader from the narrator. You want the reader to feel the wonder you feel, and a laundry list of sights and the things you do when you see them, phrased with a vague "when" isn't going to do that very effectively.

Your imagery is okay, but not great. We've all heard a lot of this sort of thing before - the value is in the specifics. "Dip my feet in the sea" is a good example of what I mean - it's a specific action that's not just looking at the ocean, and it calls to mind a concrete set of images, sounds, shapes, etc. However, gazing at the night sky and hearing a baby cry are rather cliche, and there's nothing unique to separate them from the other images.

I can't emphasize specifics enough - everyone's unique, and one of the great values of poetry is that everyone's imagery can be different, because everyone has different experiences to draw from. When you say His work is delicate, what specific experience prompts you to think that? Is it seeing the lines of color in a rock you found by the stream? Is it learning about the human body and the perfect chemical balances it has to maintain? Vague is boring - specifics is powerful.

In general, you could also spend longer on each image, really exploring what they mean to you, instead of just listing them. Same with the "tempted to doubt or faint" - what's tempting you? How does seeing the beauty and being reminded they're God's creations stop you from doubting?

*this is me waxing philosophical, feel free to ignore if this isn't the vision you have for the poem*

The general idea of poetry is to express your feelings in a way that as many people as possible can relate to or at least understand. The problem is, of course, that not everybody believes in the Christian God, and even other Christians may be struggling with their faith or just don't see God in that way.

Thankfully, I see like you describe here. I look around me and I marvel at God's creations, and that has really strengthened my faith in Him. I am immensely grateful for this gift, and I'm willing to bet you are too. After all, you even wrote a poem about it!

Something that might help you to frame this in a more relatable way is if you mention and/or emphasize your gratitude that you are able to see the world this way. I think it would wind up feeling less exclusionary for non-Christians, who could easily see it as a unintentionally passive-aggressive attack on them (especially because of the "God is so easy to find" line, because God's just not easy to find for everyone). It might be good to acknowledge that He's easy to find for you, but also that that's not the case for other people and that you recognize it's a blessing He's given you. But you don't have to if you don't want to, if that's not the poem you're trying to write.

*end musings*

This poem isn't bad. Far from it - it's crafted well, it's not too clunky, and it gets the point across clearly. It resonated with me, the reader. But it just doesn't inspire in me the wonder you feel, and I think it could. I think you could do even better than this.

I hope this was helpful! I actually haven't reviewed poetry in a while, so I'm sorry if nothing I said made sense. xD Thanks for requesting a review!

Calliope3 says...

Thank you! This helps tremendously. When I wrote this I honestly didn't delve into how non-Christians would feel reading it, and I'm grateful for your suggestions on how to make it resonate with a wider audience. Also, I agree with you that I should have elaborated more on my images. Thanks again! :D

Mea says...

No problem, I'm glad it was helpful. :)

Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:56 am
tzipwrite says...

Oh my goodness I think this is one of the best poems I've ever read. Of all time. You must be an incredible writer!!! I am not Christian - I'm actually Jewish - but this poem resonated deeply with me. And lyrically it is wonderful. Every line is clear and poetic, and the rhythm is perfect. Thank you so much for sharing this. I think you should attempt to publish this poem in a more public setting!
Good luck!

Calliope3 says...

Thank you! That means a lot to me :)

Love is friendship that has caught fire. It is quiet understanding, mutual confidence, sharing and forgiving. It is loyalty through good and bad times. It settles for less than perfection and makes allowances for human weaknesses.
— Ann Landers