Valentine's song

by Calla

One day, I got to thinking about you and me. Then I realized, You're the only fish in my sea. Now I'm day-dreaming, You've got me singing' La-la-la-la-la Your eyes, Are brighter than any star. A pretty smile, That stretches oh so far. You've got me telling, My secrets sharing. La-la-la-la-la Chorus You've got that something, I can't hear nothing. Cause all I've got on mind, Is you and me killing time. When will I see you? It must be killing you, too. What do you look like? what color ar your eyes? How would I know, I'd love you I bet. But I still have not met you yet. One day, I got to thinking how funny would it be? If you'd been standing, On the other side of me. Now I'm wondering, My mind is turning. La-la-la-la-la Chorus I'll be the grass, And you be the rain. I can't live without you, Do you feel the same? I'll be the moon, And you be the sky. You've got me way up, Way up, up so high. You be the gold, And I'll be the shine. I am so glad, To call you all mine. Chorus

Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:24 pm
Saphire wrote a review...

Well I already told you I liked this before you ever put it on here I just figuered that I should tell you again. You're a good writer but I don't feel like songs are your strongest point. I love you girlie!! Keep writing I like randomly reading them in english class together. :)

Calla says...

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:34 am
Hannah wrote a review...

Wow! I am definitely surprised! Parts of this are very awesome. In fact, the whole end of this song, from "I'll be the grass" works well and I don't wanna change a thing about it.

I also like the line "you're the only fish in my sea", because it evokes an awesome image: this big pool of water with a single fish in it. What's odd is that it's meaningful, funny, and kind of sad all at the same time, which I like.

The next thing I like is "What do you look like? What color are your eyes?" because it's really unexpected after such an eager outpouring of love!

Those lovely things pointed out, the rest is not very intriguing. Why? Take the last example. You say, "What do you look like? What color are your eyes?", but then the next words are basically repeating this concept: I don't know. I bet I'd like you. I don't know you. By the fact that she's asking what color his/her eyes are, we already know she doesn't know this person, so the repetition is adding nothing to the poem and dragging it down.

Another fault in this poem is falling victim to rhyming. Obviously, you can do it subtly and well, but I am really grated by:

Your eyes, Are brighter than any star. A pretty smile, That stretches oh so far. You've got me telling, My secrets sharing.

Okay, not only is the comparison of stars over-done, but what is beautiful about a smile that stretches so far? It seems like it would look awkward to me! Also, I'm not a fan of the 'ing' 'ing' rhyme, and you can come up with a better way to word that this speaker is telling secrets and willing to do so.

Also, I would really recommend strengthening the chorus. It's the most important part of the song! It gets repeated over and over! As it is now, it's got a weird tone at the beginning (I can't quite see where it ends and turns into a verse). Why do you use the word "killing" twice in a song about love? It gives a creepy vibe, which sabotages the nice, lovely vibe you had going. And is it really just about them "killing time"? Just like, sitting around not doing anything? Plus, suddenly you bring in the fact that they're not actually together (when will I see you?), which is much stronger with the "What do you look like?" line.

I hope this review was helpful, but PM me if you have any questions, flashing, colorful, avatar wearing lyricist!

Good luck and keep writing~

Calla says...

Wow! Thank you sooo much! And I'm still mad about it not letting me put stanza's! (I think I spelled that right!) And just to put reason here, the last few lines of the chorus repeat so I can have rhyme with it. thanks again!!

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:21 pm
Rydia wrote a review...

Title

Can I take your uncertainty as a request for help? Don't use Valentine's song! It's very cheesy and obvious and instead, let me help you think of something you like better :D

Okay. First, let's brainstorm some valentines language and then we can pick the title out of that. We have cupid, hearts, arrows, red, pink, bouquet, flowers, Saint Valentine (a little more interesting than Valentines).

Then let's look at the content of your poem. The part of this that struck me as most interesting was she hasn't met him yet, but you don't want to spoil that surprise! So is there a subtle way to say it without giving it away? Maybe 'Absent Valentine'? or you could go for something more abstract like 'Key Major' which pretends to be music, but could actually refer to computer keys?

That's only two ideas but hopefully it has you thinking of others! The best thing to do is play with words and try putting two together you wouldn't normally, like 'Absent Key' which is just an easy example as I took a word from each of my others!

Content

This is pretty cool. I like the up-beat tone of this and it's a little cliche in places, the whole 'fish in the sea' line, but I can kind of forgive that because it's fun and spunky! It's also pretty hilarious as it becomes apparent they've never met because at first I'm just thinking they've been parted, but then boom! She doesn't know what he looks like? Awesome.

If this is lyrics as you seem to suggest then you need a few more stanzas! Why don't you have her meet him in a later one and show us how she's disappointed or how it works/ doesn't work! I really like what you have at the moment and that chorus is awesome, but you need more! This is only the start of a story and I want to know how it ends.

Good work so far but fix that title and if you edit the work, you should be able to manually put the line breaks in. There's also a few typos to look out for and fix! But thanks for a fun read!

Heather xxx

Calla says...

Thanks for the review!!! :)

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:19 pm
Demeter wrote a review...

Hi there Calla!

So unfortunate about the line breaks! Sometimes YWS messes up the formatting -- try and do it again in the actual submitting space and see whether that helps at all. I'll try and review this just like this!

I liked the idea of the singer not having met this "you" yet. It wasn't clear from the beginning, and I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but it's quite a nice twist to the story anyhow.

I think my favourite parts were the line "But I still have not met you yet" and also the ending part before the chorus starting from "I'll be the grass". I'm not sure why I liked them the best, though! I guess the rhymes were so good and I also liked the "I'll be x and you be y" structure. It was sweet!

This was probably my least favourite part, because a "stretching" smile sounds a bit weird. Also does "you" get the singer telling their secrets or something else? I feel like "telling" needs an object" and "my secrets sharing" needs to be clarified a little... it sounds a bit confusing at the moment.

Overall though, I think you did a pretty good job! If you have a special someone, you should definitely show this to them on Valentine's Day. ;)

Demeter
x

Calla says...

Thanks for the review! I guess this needed more work than I thought!

Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:33 pm
Calla says...

This makes me so mad! YWS, Y U NO LET ME HAVE STANZA??????

BilbosToes says...

It's not letting me do it either :L I think it's some sort of bug :S
Great lyrics though!
-Toes

BilbosToes says...

Great lyrics though!
-Toes

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
— Apple Inc.