Leave Me [please.]

by Cairo

do you even want us.

it is a brutally dark night
when i give you the chance to walk away.

your face is a blank slate
punctuated by the blinking blue boats of your eyes,
normally so calm, now shadowed by panic and confusion;
i use the flashing lights as an excuse to avoid them.

the air is caught tight in my throat
and i keep my hands clenched at my side
in the long heartbeats where you say nothing.

i am keenly aware of the way
the shadows and sweaty bodies move around us,
totally oblivious to the microcosm of our war.

there are curious green-grey eyes
peeking out from under a baseball cap
belonging to a man whose embrace i have felt
and have not spoken - he knows, and i can feel it

but otherwise the world is still.

i wonder if it’s the tequila
or the way you ignore my insecurities
and so shamelessly abandon me
on the sidelines of your life,

or if it’s just the intensity of my sensitivity
and the guilt i feel for stealing the word ‘monogamy’
away from you and i, in secret

or if it’s just the horrible collision
of two people so opposite as you and i

that drives this painful moment where you do not speak.

maddened by the silence, i force my eyes to yours;
they are deep and meaningful and oh-so-blue,
mine are stoic and impenetrable greens,
you finally open your mouth.

(i remember those eyes
and i remember them closed,
the hot flash of soft skin and tugging teeth,
the taste of cocaine on his tongue;

if you say no i can walk away,

but if you say yes i can’t live with myself.)

Konijn wrote a review...

Tigerlilly here to review on this wonderful review day! :D

Okay, first off, I wanted to say I really enjoyed the way you structured your poem. The stanzas are spaced out in a wonderful way that both organizes the poem and also helps with the way I read it.

One thing I would change, however, is the capitalization. Now, this is just me, but I think with the seriousness of this poem a capitalized letter when starting a sentence just seems necessary. Still, it's totally up to you so you can leave it the way it is if you want.

Overall, I really loved this poem. You have a lot of potential as a author/poet and I look forward to reading more of your works in the future.

Keep writing, my friend!

Cairo says...

Thanks for the review! :) I tend not to capitalize in my poetry but maybe one day I'll start haha.

Rook wrote a review...

Hi Cairo!

Okay, so there are a lot of really good things with this poem, and there are several things I think could be improved.

With the good things, you have a really nice voice here, and your pacing and sentence structures are all really solid. I think everything that relates to technicalities is perfectly fine.

I think what really gets me in this poem is the vagueness of it all. You have all these looks and silences, but I can't guess at what they mean. Why are these characters saying yes or no? What is the question at stake? You have a lot of good emotion words, but I don't know why they're here, and I can't really feel them myself unless I get closer to an understanding.
I understand that someone probably wasn't faithful to someone else, with the monogamy aspect of this... but there are a lot of thing I'm not sure about, like the insecurities and these yes or no things are really making me wonder.

The line where you related eyes to boats struck me as a little strange. I usually don't see boats in the eyes of other people, you know? It's not the image that comes to mind.

There's one point in here that I felt like you said "you and i" too much for such a short section. I think it was the "horrible collision" part.

Speaking of horrible collision, I feel like a few of the words you used here were kind of... empty? Like horrible for example. It doesn't bring much to the table.

And that's what I have. This is already a pretty dang solid poem. Great job as always.
~fortis

Cairo says...

Thanks for the review.

I agree that "you and I" were used too much, I realized it about .002 seconds after posting this haha. I think I'm going to opt for "us" in the second usage instead.

The question for the poem is found in the first line. :P If the poem does read unclear of course I'll take a look at maybe reworking it.

Thanks again.

-Cairo

Rook says...

ooooh
That was another thing. I was going to suggest a question mark there. Also, I think it would be clearer if you gave some sort of emphasis to those line to make them sound more continuous. I'm thinking maybe italics?

kenziefavaloro says...

WOW! You are so talented this piece is so great and meaningful! I see you going far with our writing in the future.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:49 am
Storygirl95 wrote a review...

Hi! Storygirl95 dropping by for a review!
I liked this. It was a quick look at a moment in these two character's lives. It seems very melancholic. I like the mention of the moving bodies around them, because it provides a stark contrast to the moment of perceived stillness in their own lives.
Am i correct to assume that one cheated on the other then and was asking if they wanted to leave?
This type of situation is always difficult, and the emotions are rampant. I like how you manage to keep this present while also managing to keep it calm and muted, like the fate of the characters is unsure. I really enjoyed the imagery of the two different eye colors clashing and the moment of remembered passion. I also enjoyed the line, " Just the intensity of my sensitivity."
The last two lines capture the feelings of the moment. If they say they don't want you, you can move on. Accept what happened. If they say they do, the guilt will forever remain in your heart. To know you've done something so terrible but to be forgiven. Guilt is a strong emotion.
This piece is like a little glimpse into the human soul, and I commend you for writing it.
I don't see anything really wrong with it, besides maybe that you should go through and capitalize the I when it appears.
Thanks for letting me read this. Good job and keep writing! :)

Cairo says...

(Late thanks, oops)

Storygirl95 says...

That's okay haha. Some people don't thank at all! I really enjoyed reading this. It feels special to me. ^_^

Love is all we have, the only way that each can help the other.
— Euripides