z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Night Owl

by Caerulean


Happy NaPoWriMo, everyone! :)

So I just wanted to write something... I've not been writing for the longest time now. -.- And it's the summer vacation here so I should not waste it idling in the house. Anyway, this 'poem' was pretty much extemporaneous. Not much editing was done. Finished writing it at like 2:40 am... approximately. It's 2:45 now.

Tell me what you think. :)

- - - - - - -

Night Owl

The wind blade is spinning.
The dark hours are passing.
The big light is coming.
The night owl is dying.

The hands are a-ticking,
The glass not reflecting.
The blade is still spinning.
The night owl is yawning.

Claws on the rat,
Claws on the keys,
Eyes on the screen,
Words getting in.

He stutters and pauses,
Mind flutters and gazes.
The Moon might be shining.
The Sun will be rising.

The words on the screen,
They keep coming in…

Empty.

The claws are off soon
And so is the Moon.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
44 Reviews


Points: 435
Reviews: 44

Donate
Sun May 26, 2013 3:19 pm
View Likes
ivyLeonora wrote a review...



this beautiful poem takes me to a whole other world. the way in which the words are painted leaves a magnificent picture in my mind. it talks in detail about the way in which the owl moves, flies and acts in the night. i will never be able to look at the owl as plainly as i did before as now, in my eyes, is a beautiful creature, because of YOUR poem.




Whisperer says...


Wow. :o I never thought my poem would leave such a picture in anyone's mind, especially of an owl. This poem wasn't really about an owl. It was just a metaphor. But really, it feels amazing how this poem affected you. :D Thank you.



User avatar
159 Reviews


Points: 2117
Reviews: 159

Donate
Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:27 pm
View Likes
Skydreamer wrote a review...



Hey! (Saw your link on the poetry club)

So, you were writing it at night (well morning but, dark out)? Ah, does that have anything to do with your inspiration? :D

Um, I'll start with saying that it has some really interesting lines and stanza's.

With that said though, I must say that there are some serious questions a reader may have. The first I had once finishing the poem was what is this screen? I really can't figure it out. If the screen is a television, I think you might want to switch it up. Because that just adds much more confusion to an otherwise simple poem and could take away from some the wonderful lines you have there. So please think about how to let your readers know what's going on, even subtlety. Try to include some type of clue so that your reader can understand exactly what you are trying to portray, otherwise it can seem oddly placed.

So now, from stanza to stanza. The first stanza was probably the best in my opinion, but I really think you need to change the "big light" to "bright light" or "striking light" or "blinding light" or anything more descriptive than "big light". I say that for two reasons, the first, big light does not go well with the rest of that stanza, and the second, "big" is not really associated with "light" as well as I know, and for me reading that was strange.

The second stanza, "the hands are a-ticking"...hmm. I have no idea what that means, but maybe it could be expressed in a better more understandable way? I know there is abstract writing (or at least now I know since this is the most abstract I've seen :P), but I just can't see the metaphor or allusion in a-ticking hands. Does it mean the hands were waiting for the right time or opportunity? Try to make a bit more understandable.

The third, so, I understand the first two lines, but the last two are confusing, because you know, the screen...

The fourth one, actually reading it a second time, this one might be the best one, except for the stutters, but I guess that's slight and I think it's a good stanza.

"The claws are off soon And so will be the Moon" I think this was worded wrong.

"The claws will be off soon, the moon will be too" is better.
or
"The claws will go off soon, and so will the moon" I think something like that will help the reader understand that better.

I liked "The moon might be shinning. The sun will be rising".

Don't stop writing, or dreaming! :)




User avatar
134 Reviews


Points: 88
Reviews: 134

Donate
Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:11 am
FruityBickel wrote a review...



Um, well, this poem kind of confused me. It seems the overall message is that the sun will be rising soon and the night owl will be turning in because of it?

"Claws on the rat,
Claws on the keys,
Eyes on the screen,
Words have got in."

This is where you lost me. I'm just not really getting the point you're trying to make, if that makes sense? And from this verse on I just had trouble understanding it.

Sorry if this is bad.. Um. I dunno.

~~Ayden~~





You have been de-shenaniganed.
— WaffleCat