z

Young Writers Society


18+ Violence Mature Content

Drinking Goodbye

by BrokenSkye


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for violence and mature content.

I drank last night,
and I will drink tonight.
I will drink every night,
until this pain goes away,
or until my hands shake,
to where I can't hold a blade.

Goodbye, goodbye.
For this is my last night.
My scars are open,
and my veins have been cut.
Blood lies with broken bottles,
and my eyes are forever shut.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
51 Reviews


Points: 77
Reviews: 51

Donate
Fri May 31, 2013 8:42 am
View Likes
sphealwithit wrote a review...



This poem is really strong.

It's really moving. The rhyme scheme is good along with the rythym. I like the:

I drank last night,
and I will drink tonight.
I will drink every night,

It shows the constant, never ending cycle that is associated with alcoholism.

I hope you keep writing more as this is really good.




User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 672
Reviews: 25

Donate
Thu May 16, 2013 4:45 pm
View Likes
ClaireAura says...



I love how short but strong this poem is. Its melancholy at its best. It's tragic but beautiful at the same time. I love your style of writing :) its brilliant xxxx, Claire




User avatar
213 Reviews


Points: 150
Reviews: 213

Donate
Thu May 16, 2013 12:46 am
View Likes
dark wrote a review...



Hmmm hmm! How emotional. You must have been feeling great pain, or at least channeling some, while you wrote this beautiful two stanza poem. I like your rhyme scheme too. Also there are no flaws here! It's absolutely perfect. You know, I believe you are a very talented poet, or future poet, and I encourage you to pursue with your talent.




User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 494
Reviews: 11

Donate
Wed May 15, 2013 11:00 pm
View Likes
qmj says...



Wow that was bueatiful.well done!




User avatar
67 Reviews


Points: 3996
Reviews: 67

Donate
Tue May 14, 2013 3:20 am
View Likes
Catnip wrote a review...



Hi ^-^
The emotional concept is hellishly relatable for those of us who have dealt with thoughts of suicide and/or participated in self-harm to release the tension of hurt, angry or sorrow.
I find it "stingingly" beautiful, personally. It gave me some unpleasant thoughts of the past, but it also made me reflect on the fact that these feelings and thoughts are things I've over-come.
Very relatable, very realistic, very understandable. But most of all, it's beautiful. What a darling piece.
(Sorry if this was too personal lol)




User avatar
37 Reviews


Points: 1198
Reviews: 37

Donate
Tue May 14, 2013 12:57 am
View Likes
fruit4you wrote a review...



It is indeed moving. Personally I've struggled with suicide, and I can relate. Sometimes you feel like not dying but merely drifting away. I feel that if I swallow enough pills that I can just sink away into the Earth and feel a numbness. But soon I realized that there is no need for me to die. Just take a moment to think about some one you love. Imagine that they committed suicide. Imagine the pain and sadness. Now imagine that same pain but its the loved one who has it. No matter what pain you feel its just not fair to hurt some one else with a permanent action. Ok I just wanted to let you know that. By the way I liked it. It's very morbid. I like morbid.




User avatar
29 Reviews


Points: 1147
Reviews: 29

Donate
Mon May 13, 2013 9:27 am
View Likes
recycledsoul wrote a review...



How moving! It has some really strong emotions flowing through it. It's officially the best suicide poem I've happened to read and honestly speaking I haven't read much. But this is beautiful in it's own dark way. It's straight forward, doesn't manage to paint any picture in my mind what so ever, it's short, but the sheer strength of the lines used and the way you have conveyed the pain is admirable. Cheers.




User avatar
35 Reviews


Points: 1352
Reviews: 35

Donate
Mon May 13, 2013 8:20 am
View Likes
winterbites wrote a review...



Wow, I just, this *has no words* I am really into things like this, so it really caught my eye and dragged me in. I know the feels to this (just not the dinking part), But, you've captured it so well, I just, W=well I have no words, I keep reading it to be honest. I was really moved by this poem. I enjoyed reading it. Hope you make more.

~Winter




User avatar
29 Reviews


Points: 555
Reviews: 29

Donate
Mon May 13, 2013 8:05 am
View Likes
Shadowwriter1 wrote a review...



To begin, I must say, well done. Whislt this poem is short, it has a striking effect. In the first two lines you have brought in the emotions of sadness, regret and acceptance. You show us that the character is suffering and that they indulge in alcohol to rid them of their pain. The line "to where I can't hold a blade" makes us know instantly that this person inflicts pains on theirself.
In the second stanza, you have successfully let us know of the intentions of this person in the first two lines, and then proceed to tell us as to how it looks and what has been done. The final line, "and my eyes are forever shut" tells us perfectly that the person is now deceased, and also a very good way to end the poem.
You wrote this very well, it had emotion and something to connect to. Well done and keep writing!




User avatar
42 Reviews


Points: 553
Reviews: 42

Donate
Mon May 13, 2013 4:57 am
View Likes
DannieInkblotHanson wrote a review...



Short and sweet and to the point. Having experience with disturbed kids, this was especially moving. Your wording was eloquent and beautiful in a dark sort of way. Even so much as two stanzas can be tear-jerking. A job well-done with this poem. Now I must go and eat ice cream and watch kitten videos to stop being sad.




User avatar


Points: 554
Reviews: 2

Donate
Sun May 12, 2013 11:14 pm
Delaney wrote a review...



This poem is brutally beautiful. At first I felt as if you should make it longer, since I never wanted to end, but the ending is perfect. I think you should look into that, you know look it over and see what you could do, maybe add to the middle other than that it is beautiful and descriptive. Evan though it is a spooky topic it is beautiful. I love that you used rhyme scheme. It fits the poem style well. It s dramatic and diverse. I defiantly want to read more of your work!




User avatar
21 Reviews


Points: 397
Reviews: 21

Donate
Sun May 12, 2013 8:13 pm
nmk1128 wrote a review...



This is very sad and very intense and I guess it's suppose to be. I really like your first four lines. The next two get a little choppy - particularly the 'to where'. I think you should find some way to transition that a bit smoother.

For your second stanza, I think you should make the first line: "Goodbye. Goodbye." This will make the goodbyes seem more intense. I like your second line with the profound period at the end, but continue using it! You're righting about suicide!

My scars are open.
My veins are cut.
Blood lies with broken bottle.
My eyes forever shut.

I would suggest something like that to make an even greater impact on the poem.




User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 1036
Reviews: 9

Donate
Sun May 12, 2013 8:07 pm
View Likes
KatheryneAlyxandera wrote a review...



Hi there,
I personally love this. I relate to this perfectly.
Anyways, the shortness of this poem is perfect, and punctuation is spot on. The message behind this really hit me. I like the "Blood lies with broken bottles" line, I don't find anything wrong with it. I also like the subtle use of rhyme, I think it pulls it all together.
Great job, keep up the good work.
P.S: If you ever need someone to talk to, don't be afraid to talk to me. I've been through some pretty tough things before, and I know my way around the blade.
~Kat.




User avatar
33 Reviews


Points: 53
Reviews: 33

Donate
Sun May 12, 2013 7:43 pm
elcuidador wrote a review...



Hmm. This is an interesting poem. I liked it but I still think there is something busy. I almost completely agree with Snoweary. I liked the way you titles the poem and word 'scars' was used.
What I don't like though is the repetition of the word 'drink' and 'Goodbye' because they are either unnecessary or just plain.

You used 'lies' for blood, which doesn't really work. I would suggest 'is shed' or 'spreads'.

It was short and there wasn't much room for improvement since I think it's great. Keep writing.




User avatar
27 Reviews


Points: 907
Reviews: 27

Donate
Sun May 12, 2013 5:22 pm
View Likes
Snoweary wrote a review...



This is utterly a beautiful piece of poem. Although it's a short poem, it tells the pain the writer's wrote. I'm sure, a lot of people feel the same (as in the poem) the feelings inside. And I just loveee the title -Drinking Goodbye- It fits with the words you used.

I would like to point out this one;

"My scars are open,"

Somehow, I think this shows that the writer has done it before (cutting) for quite some time because the word ~Scar~ refer to wound that has healed.
This really touches me. I know how it feel.





Adventure is worthwhile.
— Aesop