Onyx Eyes

by BreakingTheHabit

Prologue: My life is a dizzying mix of reality and fantasy; My mom is from an ancient line of seers, and my dad comes from a family of doctors. Both sides put pressure on me to become great, and it's enough to drive anyone to their breaking point. Finally, I've hit mine. I'm holding on to the end of my rope with one hand, the other desperately clutching to the last of my sanity. It's all to much for me to handle, so I decide to pack my bags and leave in the middle of the night. Only, when I'm gone, I realize just how unprepared I was. When cloaked strangers show up and capture me, I have to figure out what secrets my parents have kept from me. If I can't , I'll only have a few more weeks, until my 16th birthday. Then all hell will break loose - literally.

OKayyy...well this seems like a cross between the very first couple of lines of a first chapter, and then the last few lines of the blurb of the book with said first chapter, all wrapped up in what is meant to be a prologue here....so yeah, we've got a little bit of confusion right there.

Especially those last lines...I feel like they don't sound at all like the sort of thing that you'd expect in a prologue, it just seems like a blurb and almost doesn't seem particularly connected to the actual story that was happening in that first couple of lines. You might want to look into a bit of a rewrite on that one there.

Now, moving past that particular confusion and to the actual idea of this work here...well I would say it is actually quite a cool premise you've got here. We've got some exciting things getting thrown around here...and as chaotic as the pacing is right here, I'd say this does a fairly good job of getting your attention. This definitely sounds like a story that I would potentially read here. :D

Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:03 pm
Sionarama wrote a review...

Hi Breaking! I'm just going to jump right into this:

This to me doesn't seem as much of a prologue but comes across as that paragraph on the back of your novel to summarize what the book is about. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing, I guess you decide.

Another note is that this paragraph seems a bit rushed. I have huge problems with rushing so I completely understand how you just need to get all of your ideas down, so here's a tip: once you are done writing your initial ideas/paragraph. Read it again, preferably out loud, and ask yourself as you are reading it: How can I explain this better? Add more detail? Give mystery/a snippet of what happens next? Usually prologues explain something later in the book. They are a little spoiler almost that also makes the reader get into the story and establish the feel of the book. I suggest you look up prologues online and get the feel of them. Then try to rewrite the prologue and then start on the story!

I'm not saying your work is bad. I consider this to be the best place to be as a writer because the only place you can go is forward and I really want to know what happens! So write on my wall and PM me if you have any questions or if you have written something of these. With just a little tweaking, I am sure you will have an amazing book!

life is so much better with tater tots
— AilahEvelynMae