The Waterfall

by BoyVSInternet

The Waterfall

As the soaring mountain rose to the sky so did the man’s trepidation along with the pain that was permanent in his left knee, burning as bad as it did the day he got shot. He had made a small camp on the shore of a white river that drank gluttonously from the ominous waterfall looming high above and crashing on the razor sharp rocks below. His feeble fire and thin tent were his only barriers from the night and whatever may walk amongst the shadows cast by a malevolent moon. Yet these meager barricades sufficed and he awoke into a new refreshed, land that made the terrors of the night slowly drain from his mind as the soft trill of birdsong carried him along his trail up the mountain. This ever present melody quickened the man’s ascent as he took in the views of lush meadows and the valley that he had camped in the previous night. The man’s view widened and he ventured back to childhood memories of looking up at the soaring mountain ranges upon his horizon. He had always dreamed of making this climb a reality and had spent many afternoons scaling the lesser boulders by his house. And now that he was climbing the tallest peak in the range he felt surreal, not even sure if it was actually happening. Yet he knew that he wasn’t dreaming because he felt the pain in his feet and he could touch the blackberry bush and eat a berry or two as he strolled by, yet he still had a feeling that something was off as if he’d walked into a room and all the furnisher was a few inches off. The thought had vanished as quickly as it came into existence and he put his focus back on the trail when he saw the obstacle that had reared it’s head in his path.

Despite the loud rumble of the waterfall growing ever louder each step he noticed that it was queerly quiet. The lackadaisical tune of the birds no longer followed the man as he came to where the trail and the waterfall met. Now the trail did not pass the head of this waterfall that still hung hundreds of feet above, but in the middle with a rocky path carved into the granite cliff that skirted around the edges of the roaring water. The trail here was slick with spray and algae but with sure-footedness and his walking stick the man began the most apprehensive ten feet of his life. He carefully planted each foot before moving the other and with each step closer to the safe side he began to grow evermore cavalier but not careless enough to fall. Yet nature can aid or destroy even the most cautious man and as he was only five steps away from the other side a young trout ventured too close to the edge of the waterfall in hopes of catching a fat fly. When it was jettisoned from the river and began falling almost smashing against the cliff in several instances. Two steps was all that it would take for the man to get across when he glanced up and the young trout collided with the man’s face. The impact happened to happen at the precise moment the man lifted his right foot and the shock was so great that he tried to plant it back on the ground feeling sure of the trails location when it plunged into the void. His left leg was all that kept him on the mountain as his balance began to deteriorate in tandem with his left knee’s strength. As he began to regain his balance his left leg spasmed sending a jolt of pain speeding up his leg launching him from the narrow ledge into a watery descent.

The beauty of the sun was all that the man could think of as he fell, racing the waterfall. He had thought that falling would be a blur but instead time practically stood still. He noticed many things on his fall like the way each individual water droplet caught the sun’s radiance and transformed it into a myriad of colors and the way that a small species of bird had utilized the cliff to make their homes. It was this beauty that he would remember, this beauty that he would hang onto before it all went black, these would be the man’s final thoughts and then it happened. It all went turned to black.

Or at least that’s what the man thought would happen because that was the way it was always depicted in the movies and books. No, instead he was living those final memories again, and again, and again. The man watched the beauty unfurl each time until he had observed every last detail and then he relived the trout scene, his hike, and every last moment of his life until he finally figured it out. He knew what the meaning of life was or at least his life and this vast pool of knowledge made him wonder, for that is all that knowledge is good for anyway, what created this, what set his life to be this way, what let him view his life on repeat?

The man had seen each of his memories hundreds upon hundreds of times and when he finally understood he gave a soft smile to himself and would have even laughed if it had not taken so long to understand. He first noticed it in one of his memories of deja-vu and then again in the time when he was on the mountain. He noticed that this was not the first time that he had died that these in themselves were memories and he knew what he had to do. He went back to his earliest memory and pressed play…

Pompadour wrote a review...

Hello. Welcome to YWS~! I'm reviewing this from my phone so I'll make this quick.

You begin with a run-on sentence. This is never a good thing. Too many things are happening all at the same time and this generally leaves the reader struggling to make sense out of what's going on. Too-long sentences also result in a weaker sentence structure; the probability of making mistakes is greater than it is with concrete sentences. This isn't to say that all good sentences are short, but that every sentence has a purpose to fulfil; if you're not breaking up several actions into two or more sentences, the confusion whirlpools. I've also noticed that you have a case of dangling modifiers which you might want to correct. Don't want your readers thinking it was the man's trepidation which was burning, do you? ;)

Another thing that messed with my reading this was your overuse of adjectives and such. While it's always good to give your reader clear visuals of their surroundings, sometimes your prose gets over-saturated with description and this makes it hard for the reader to navigate the plot/characters. Your description supports your story. You can have a brilliant story with sucky description, or amazing description with a lack of story--but neither of those will attract the audience they are supposed to. I know it's always appealing to showcase your vast vocabulary to the reader, but sometimes you just need to cut the clingy description and get the ball, A.K.A the plot, moving.

While you have a lot of descriptive words, also, your pacing is sluggish and there's a lot of 'telling' as opposed to 'showing'. This does not entrance your reader and, like Arctic said, it's always vital to have some variation in how you write. And because I can't resist inserting this quote here...

Besides that, I don't really see much character development here, and of course there was no dialogue. While you don't really need dialogue when you have just one character to play with, at this point, I think this man needs more of an inner voice and less of a philosophical monologue to guide him. You also need to get rid of the passive voice.

In short, get the ball rolling, yo! Imagery is always lovely, as are descriptive sentences, but so is keeping the attention and interest of the reader. It's a tragic reality, but a writer caters to several people in their audience, and it's important to reach a dynamic equilibrium that makes your writer fluid and colourful (but not too colourful, since that can get monotonous!).

Hope this review helped. PM me if you need anything~

Keep it up! Keep writing!

~Pomp

ArcticMonkey wrote a review...

Hi BoyVsInternet!

Well you certainly know your way around creating beautiful imagery and descriptions. Everything was so vividly explained and, although a bit too much at times, was a nice touch. I like the build up, how you made the whole thing seem so tranquil until the man fell. Generally, the idea of the story is quite interesting, I've never really seen it before. Well done!

I do have quite a few points of critique. Firstly, I agree with the below reviewer that as lovely as the descriptions are, there's just too much. Chunky paragraphs of this description aren't the most exciting to read and after a while it becomes a bit tedious. You should try and distribute them throughout the whole piece, rather than just having it all in one place. It kind of ruins them to be honest, in the sense that the overuse of them makes them less special, and you don't want that.

So on that note, how could you vary it out a bit? One suggestion I have is focusing more on the man. I think having a first bit just on the setting is lovely, but when he falls it's a bit like, oh there's a person in all of this? You could talk about the effort it was for him to clime up there. How he embraced this beautiful scenery. Maybe even a bit on him back story and family and stuff. Right now he's very two-dimensional and I feel nothing towards him, so just try and add a bit more to his character.

Also, I think you could make the fall way more dramatic. I'll talk about how later, but it'd make the story quite exciting if you made the drop happen more suddenly.

In the last section you have a brief paragraph on his memories. It'd be great if you could expand on it a bit. Similar to one of my other points, but just add a bit more to this character because it's make the story a lot more interesting, and make him more of an empathetic character.

If you look at your last paragraph, you'll notice that almost all of the sentences start with 'he', a bit contrast to the beginning! But yeah, like the beginning where it's all description, this isn't very engaging. In fact, it's a bit confusing. I think you need to explain more what you mean by the fact it wasn't his first time dying. Is he in a constant loop of replaying his memories?

Another way to make your writing more engaging is varying the lengths of your sentences. Right now, they're all very long, especially at the beginning, but really just throughout. Remember that shorter sentences can be very effective. Generally, you use longer sentences for description, but I think even then that some of your describing sentences could be broken down a bit. But back on the fall, after having lots of long sentences on the setting to have a short sentence on his fall would be great. It'd really change the pace, keep the reader excited, so it's worth considering.

That's all from me. I think you are very good at descriptions, but your writing needs to be a bit more varied. It's all very focused on the scenery. I hope this helps, feel free to ask me any questions or if you'd like another review on anything. Keep writing,

~ArcticMonkey x

Thank you for your review. For this piece I was mostly trying to focus on scenery and I guess I got carried away so I'll have to work on cutting that down a little bit. I'll also try describing my characters more, I kinda just swept this guy's description under the rug and focused more on the scenery so thank you for your review.

RedMoon wrote a review...

This is a very interesting story, one that I might like to read again, if I ever had the time, and that comment is a compliment, just so you know.

Okay, first off, I think this is the first time that I ever had to advise against too much description. For example:
"He had made a small camp on the shore of a white river that drank gluttonously from the ominous waterfall looming high above and crashing on the razor sharp rocks below."
The descriptions are great, but all in one sentence they're a little too much. You might want to consider cutting this down a little.
This happens throughout the entire story. I'd go over it and see what you can break down and what you can separate and make into two sentences.

I didn't see any grammar mistakes, which is a good things, but don't take my word for it that you had none. I might have missed something, so yeah.

This story is really good and interesting. I think that this is perfect they way that it is. You did a great job, keep writing!

the button war, the egg being featured member, and santa necro-liking halloween-esque works are the reasons i love yws
— Carina