z

Young Writers Society



Oak Tree

by Book_Worm_113


Oak Tree

There was a giant oak tree,
in a green grass field.
It's branches tall, its leaves so green,
and strong bark was it's shield.
Squirrels darted here and there,
the acorns were everywhere.
untill one night,
the wind, it blew,
the branches flew.
And when the first rays of light touched the ground,
there in a mound,
was the tree.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
227 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 227

Donate
Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:43 am
Mad wrote a review...



The rhythm for the poem isn't great. The lines start out much longer and then get much shorter as the poem continues. While a few short lines here and there may emphasis a point in this case it creates an irregular rhythm which doesnt compliment the rhyme scheme, even though that is irregular.

There was a giant oak tree,
in a green grass field.


Good first two lines, they aren't striking or anything like that but it gives a setting.

It's branches tall, its leaves so green,


A good, if little predictable description. I think that you should try and set these oak tree apart from other oak trees, so an inventive word for green would go down well here.


and strong bark was it's shield.
Squirrels darted here and there,
the acorns were everywhere.


All good, the rhymes working well, nothing I can really point out. I like the description of the strong bark as a shield.

untill one night,
the wind, it blew,
the branches flew.


Now here it gets shorter, maybe if the last lines were made into a new stanza where every line was shorter it would flow better. Also I think you need some sort of linking word in there on the last line "and" or something would do nicely.

And when the first rays of light touched the ground,
there in a mound,
was the tree.


Now here is a place where "was the tree", as a shorter line, is good at adding emphasis.

Overall the poem was nice, it didnt have any hidden or deeper meaning however. It was nice in its simplicity though.





Nothing is impossible, for the word itself says, 'I'm possible!'
— Audrey Hepburn