z

Young Writers Society



Alone

by Book_Worm_113


Alone

The darkness is all around me,
it slowly consumes me.
The joy of being alone,
and watching the others on my own.
Sometimes people stare,
every now and then someone asks me to come over there.
But, usually I sit and glare,
and run my my fingers through my hair.
The back, The side, The end,
is usually where I reside.
I no longer need any one else,
I am more alive when by myself.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
254 Reviews


Points: 5688
Reviews: 254

Donate
Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:05 am
BFG wrote a review...



I didn't like this poem very much until the last line:

I am more alive when by myself.


I really like that last line, but other than that the poem seemed kind of pointless and very forced with regard to the rhyming and structure. Try to make it seem more natural.




User avatar
2058 Reviews


Points: 32885
Reviews: 2058

Donate
Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:12 am
Emerson wrote a review...



The joy of being alone,
and watching the others on my own.
Sometimes people stare,
every now and then someone asks me to come over there.
But, usually I sit and glare,
and run my my fingers through my hair.


Your rather random idea to rhyme in these lines, and these alone, makes it disappointing. Rhyming can't just be done helter-skelter. There has to be a pattern, and a reason to it. Do you read poetry? If not, you should, if you do, notice how your teachers are always talking about the rhyming pattern? [If they're not, figure out what it is anyway.] You need to have a pattern to how you rhyme, otherwise it's pointless.

The idea was good, but...some things just didn't "fit" and I didn't feel get any feelings/emotions/thoughts when done reading the poem. When writing, try to think about what theme you want to convey, and how you should do it. Don't say anything that doesn't need to be said.
Like this line: "and run my my fingers through my hair. " it feels like you put it there just to rhyme, and finish the sentence.

I don't know... I don't like or hate it, I just think it could have been done better. And your one line, "every now and then someone asks me to come over there." is really long in comparison with the rest of the poem. Try to make everything fit into place when writing.




User avatar
48 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 48

Donate
Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:16 am
Pyxis says...



I liked this.

It was very sad, though. I am feeling bad right now, after reading this. I really liked this, but I wouldn't post only sad poems.

8/10.

Keep writing poems!

I think you would be good at happy ones too!





Love is friendship that has caught fire. It is quiet understanding, mutual confidence, sharing and forgiving. It is loyalty through good and bad times. It settles for less than perfection and makes allowances for human weaknesses.
— Ann Landers