Dreams are Not Realistic

by Boni_Bee

This is something I have been thinking about for a while, and I was just wanting to get some oppinions on it... Do you think it is good enough to continue into more, or should it just be a short, short story?

Any comments and critiques will be appreciated :)

---------------------------------------------

“Ok everyone, I want to hear all about the dreams you have for your future…but they must be realistic”, Mr. Popandike instructed the bored year 5 class, rubbing his hands together, and leaning forward eagerly. His glasses fell forward onto his nose as he strained to see the kids at the back of the room.

The class stirred uneasily. No one could blame them, for the Master was tall and stately, and his scorn for day dreaming and wild schemes was infamous.

A few timid boys put up their hands, and stammered out something about ‘dairy farming,’ and ‘job in the city’.

“Hmph…” grunted the man, raising his eyebrows. Suddenly, another hand shot up, eagerly waving for attention. The Master nodded his assent

“Please Sir…I’d like to go to the moon in a spaceship!” the excited boy called out, not noticing the astonished and half envious glances he got.

The pacing man stopped as if he had hit a brick wall, and spun around

“What did you say?” he asked, advancing on the boy who was now bouncing in his seat

“Sir, I said I’d like to go to the moon!” he repeated, nodding enthusiastically. The whole class gasped together. The sound carried to the little boy, who didn’t realise it was meant to warn him. He took it as meaning they were as excited as he felt, so he just grinned back at them.

The Master strode to the boy’s desk, and pounded his fist on the brown surface.

“You heard me say the dreams have to be realistic!” he growled, his face going rather red. The boy’s eyes widened and he drew back slightly,

“But…sir…I was realistic. I could have said I wanted to go to Mars!”

Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:33 am

Okay...this makes for a very interesting scenario here. Its a very familiar sort of location and you do a good job of introducing us to the major players here fairly quickly and the stakes here, while not exactly life threatening are the sort of thing that can capture your interesting and make you want to know more. So its a solid start.

Hmm this makes things a little interesting. We've got someone who is clearly a bit of an ambitious person who was probably inspired to think a little further than the people in what appears to be a more rural town are thinking, but the teacher doesn't seem to be the biggest fan of that situation judging by the reaction that we see there.

Okay...well that went exactly as planned. The fact that the last statement there wouldn't be too unrealistic either means we've clearly got someone who's not particularly keen on their students exploring the newer things of the world. It makes for an interesting ending there. And well...I think this does actually work as a short short story, although it doesn't really have the most profound of impacts so if you want to tell a more impactful story you should possibly expand on this and see where these characters can take things. You have some interesting people here.

Fri May 05, 2006 2:48 am
Boni_Bee says...

Thankyou for your comments, stilltyping! :)

I'll work on that idea, about adding more lines... :)

stilltyping wrote a review...

I rather liked it. Liked that unassuming air, which amoung young writers is rare. See that you've avoided using that superiority complex, the one that involves so much knowledge-mongery, which can actually make a piece rude and unappealing. You've avoided that, and presented a clear, short description, that while simple, is enjoyable. Good job.
All I would recommend is a line or two more concerning the first few answers to the teacher's question. You mentioned some mumbled replies, but perhaps you could describe more, or in greater detail make clear the attitude that class bears on "dreams."

Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:39 am
Rei says...

It seems to be lacking in something. Not sure what, though. It just feels very empty, like there is no point to it. I would definitely expand on it.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:55 am
Boni_Bee says...

Thanks, Jennafina! :) I'll put some more up this week hopefully...

Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:17 am
Jennafina wrote a review...

That was cute! It was kid-ish, but not poorly done at all. I'm interested to see what the teacher does to the poor kid with dreams, but it works as a short too.

I think Ok should be 'okay' or 'okey,' but that's just personal opinion. :)

Boni_Bee says...

The Black Rose wrote:You should really space out the paragraphs...

After the first sentence, you need a comma after realistic and the ".
Mr should have a . after it. Mr.

But this is the only time you mention his name, so you might as well just use the name or the Master.

This was cute.... lol.
Not something.... a 16 year old should write, but it was cute.
Nothing generally special :P but cute.

Thanks for pointing that out!
Why shouldn't a 16yr old write it? Does it sound too childish? lol

I liked it. You could leave it as is, or if you want to expand it then I think there's definately potential there.

*is excited because it feels like for the first time in my life I have a suggestion*
One (minor) thing I think you should change about this piece, is that you should state the age group of the class that is featured. I'd say do it at the beginning, so you have something like this:

“Ok everyone, I want to hear all about the dreams you have for your future…but they must be realistic” Mr Popandike instructed the class of second graders(for example), rubbing his hands together, and leaning forward eagerly.

It's a really minor thing, but I think it sets the piece up and clarifies it a bit. You'd probably do well to use an adjective in my addition, making them a class of _____ second graders.

Anyway, I like what you have here. Continue it or don't, in the spirit of neutrality.

Great work.

Thanks! :D Ok, I'll put something in there... But I don't know the American 'grade' system, so I'll use the English one :wink:

Thanks for the comments and help, everyone! I think I will continue this 8)

zell says...

intresting i liked it especially this bit

Hmph…” grunted the man, raising his eyebrows. Suddenly, another hand shot up, eagerly waving for attention. The Master nodded his assent

that i liked it alot well done :thumb:

Everyone has pretty much said whatever there's left to critique. But I think you should continue this. It's up to you whether it's a short story or a chapter story.

Ohio Impromptu wrote a review...

Great work.

Side Note: It has taken me over a year, but I finally have 150 posts. :roll:

Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:22 am
Elizabeth wrote a review...

You should really space out the paragraphs...

Mr should have a . after it. Mr.

This was cute.... lol.
Nothing generally special :P but cute.

Well, the only way to start is by starting
— AvantCoffee