z

Young Writers Society



The Death Penalty (16+ for Semi-Graphic Descriptions)

by Bobo


This research really changed my mind on the death penalty. On the other hand, murderurs don't deserve to be treated better than they treated others...

The Death Penalty

Through the years, the death penalty has been a big issue. The real question behind it all is this: is the death penalty humane? Many earlier methods were quite tortuous and messy, as are the harsher but newer methods such as electrocution and gas chambers. However, although many forms of execution- hanging, firing squads, electrocution, and gas chambers- are painful or slow, lethal injection, when done properly, is a quick and painless- humane- way of carrying out the death penalty.

Hanging was the primary method of death until 1890. Today it is only available in Delaware and Washington, but both allow lethal injection as well. When hanging was invented, there was much less technology available, so a simple structure was created. This structure, the gallows, held a rope tied in a noose that, when a person was dropped while their neck was encircled by the rope, should break the person’s neck and kill them. For this to work, however, measurements have to be exact, which they rarely were. Because of this, many of the hanged suffocated instead, creating a long and painful suffering for the prisoner. The visual signs of this torture include popping eyes, writhing and spasms, and defecation. This method of death was, certainly, a torturous and inhumane death penalty.

The firing squad method of execution is only available in Utah and Idaho now, but it is still a gruesome way to die. Typically, sand bags surround the inmate to absorb the blood, which there is a lot of, from the inmate. The heart is pinpointed and marked, but misses, either intentionally or by accident, leave the prisoner suffering and in immense pain until he dies of blood loss. Very few people would want to dies slowly and painfully, and that is what makes the firing squad so inhumane.

In 1888, New York invented the electric chair as a more humane means of executing inmates sentenced to death. Upon reading the description of this execution, one may not find it as humane as one would have liked. For electrocution, the prisoner is shaved and electrodes are placed on the head with a skullcap and on one leg, and belts cross their body to keep them held down fast. The person is blindfolded, then 500-2,000 volts are applied in a jolt of electricity in which the convict usually grips the chair and convulses so violently it can result in dislocations, factures, or other breaks in their bones. The body then relaxes, and then, after the person has cooled down, he is checked for a heartbeat. If one is found, the jolt is reapplied until the person dies. After the process is over, the victim is usually burned on his head and leg where the electrodes were attached, and his insides are cooked. Touching the convict would result in blistering before he cools down. Eyes have been recorded to pop out, the person defecates, and he vomits blood and drool. Sometimes the person even catches on fire. It’s clearly not a very nice experience to watch, let alone go through! Such disfiguration could hardly be called humane punishment.

Another grotesque method of execution is the gas chamber. Although less painful and disfiguring, the gas chamber gives the captive anxiety levels reaching those of heart attacks. This method was invented in 1924 in Nevada. It uses cyanide gas created from sulfur and cyanide crystals reacted below the convict. The prisoners are told to breathe deeply to help the process, but they, understandably, try to hold their breath to avoid the lethal chemical. Each inmate experiences pain and torture from lack of oxygen, and eventually dies from insufficient oxygen to the brain. His eyes pop out, his skin turns purples, and he drools. This method is perhaps the most frightening way to die during the process, and it is a longer process than the others when done correctly. In California, this method was deemed unconstitutional as cruel and unusual punishment. It is not hard to see their reasoning; this is a very inhumane way to destroy the convicted prisoner.

There are so many gruesome and torturous ways to execute a convicted person, it may cause doubt in many that before reading these descriptions supported the death penalty fully. That doubt may be taken away, however, by the quick and painless method of lethal injection. When done properly, the inmate is put under anesthetics, his muscles are relaxed, and then he is injected and dies while unconscious. There is a drawback, however. When done incorrectly, lethal injection is not a pretty experience. Unfortunately, this happens more than it should, since doctors are bound by medical ethics not to perform these injections. The result? Excruciating pain for the convicted. If a muscle is hit instead of the vein, or if the needle gets clogged, the pain is extreme. In addition, drug addicts and other criminals with problems may have collapsed or ruined veins. This results in a lot of probing to find a working vein, which could also be painful and causes a great delay with the prisoner strapped down, awaiting his death. This experience, nevertheless, is obviously preferable to electrocution, the gas chamber, or any other method currently used. In fact, many would agree that it’s preferable to a lifetime in jail, awaiting a natural death that is even slower in coming. All in all, lethal injection is a generally painless way to kill a criminal, and, no matter what happens, is still better than any other method available.

Until lethal injection, the death penalty was certainly a sentence that hung over the convicted. Each one provides great pain or anxiety, and either an extremely painful death, or an agonizingly slow death. Hanging can result in slow suffocation. Firing squads are messy, painful, and sometimes slow because the heart is missed. Electrocution may take multiple tries, and disfigures the person badly, causing immense pain. Gas chambers create terrible anxiety and pain. The only painless method, then, is lethal injection. Even this method, however, has its mistakes, which also cause great pain. How can this be remedied? Consider this: if the executioners fail the process because of lack of training, perhaps more training should be provided. Then, lethal injection can be done properly as much as humanly possible, creating a humane way to punish all inmates sentenced to death for their crimes.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
563 Reviews


Points: 13816
Reviews: 563

Donate
Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:23 pm
Writersdomain wrote a review...



This is a very old essay that I doubt the author still wants advice on, so I'm going to lock this. Also, remember Non-fiction is a forum for helping people write non-fiction better, not really for debate on what they are writing about. There's a debate usergroup for debating.

If the author wants to unlock this, he can, but for now, locked.




User avatar
143 Reviews


Points: 3793
Reviews: 143

Donate
Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:15 am
LovelessSummer wrote a review...



*Yes, I know I'm bringing up old passages.*

In my opinion the death penatly is just wrong. In my religion we have a saying, "All life is sacred." I think this saying is self explantory. Killing someone because of their actions is just plain wrong. One doesn't have the right to say if a person is worthy of life. Life in prison I can understand, but death? It's too extreme. Yes, I understand that some of you may argue with the equivelent exchange theroy-In exchange for one thing*be it life or something else* something of equal value must be obtained.- So, since they took someone else's life, their life must be taken also. But there is also this little thing called karma. In my religion we have another saying-Everthing you do will come back at you twice as severe. Be it good or evil. Not the exact saying, but a good enough translation of it.- So if someone killed another person they will get what's coming to them naturally. It's no humans right to choose if a person should have their life effaced. Who are we to get involved with what nature already has under control?
*This is only my opinion, using my religion as a motive.*




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 7

Donate
Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:30 pm
nanc21 says...



A very well written paper. I like how you went through the different types of executions. The death penalty is a very intersting topic.




User avatar
481 Reviews


Points: 6194
Reviews: 481

Donate
Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:32 am
Bobo says...



Well, I was pretty clueless about this at the start, so I didn't get any stories or personal stuff or anything. Also, it was hard to add more emotion to it when I'm still not sure where I stand on it.




User avatar
137 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 137

Donate
Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:44 pm
DarkerSarah wrote a review...



I think you could spice your essay up a little, but, generally it was good.

I find it interesting that hanging is legal in Delaware and Washington...I would think that qualifies as "cruel and unusual punishment." I suppose it's not really used, though.

As for me, I was originally for the death penalty because of maintenance costs of prisoners and just thinking that it would be easier to die than be imprisoned for life


Actually, it costs more to keep a prisoner on death row than it does in regular prison because of all of the appeals the prisoners seek. A lot of people think that the amount of time spent on death row should be shortened to the span of a year because it costs so much to keep them there. But this is their life we're talking about. If I was on death row, I would do everything I possibly could to do get out of it. The death sentence also doesn't allow for any type of change in the person. I'm not saying that's likely, I know it isn't, but killing them disregards any possibility of it.

I do agree that death is a much cleaner way to be punished. People complain about prisoners getting to watch television and work out and eat food and stuff, but there are so many more horrendous things that happen in jail. You also have to take into consideration what their crime was. Murderers and serial killers usually go into different (and much harsher) jails than drug dealers and jaywalkers do.

Sorry this turned into my thoughts rather than a review. I really do think that this was an interesting bit of writing, it just seems a little too point-blank to me. Just because it is non-fiction doesn't mean you can't add a little description or emotion to it.

-Sarah




User avatar
65 Reviews


Points: 5890
Reviews: 65

Donate
Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:17 pm
Midnight wrote a review...



Very interesting, you've got a really good tecnique for writing interesting non-fiction was is definately not easy. And although horrific allready your structure really improves the read. Thinking of journalism?

Personally I disagree with the death penalty but, this is a review.




User avatar
481 Reviews


Points: 6194
Reviews: 481

Donate
Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:13 am
Bobo says...



They still use the electric chair in a couple of states, but that's as an alternative to lethal injection. As for me, I was originally for the death penalty because of maintenance costs of prisoners and just thinking that it would be easier to die than be imprisoned for life, but now I don't really know what I think...




User avatar
162 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 162

Donate
Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:55 am
nickelpickle says...



interesting... Out of curiousity, do you agree or disagree with the death penalty? Very well written paper, very informative. Do you happen to know if they still use the electric chair?

nikki





The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
— Mark Twain