Home » Literary works » Poetry » Horror

The View from Yesterday

by BlueGlow

Yesterday I looked out the window.

The world had not yet found out the news.

People had been walking and talking,

Enjoying each other’s company.

The sun shone down on the street below,

The trees blew in the cool breeze.

Yet now today, the streets are empty.

The people are distraught.

For early this morning it was announced

That an asteroid the size of Texas,

Was barreling towards Earth.

There was nothing that could be done.

Yesterday I sat and drank a warm drink

Watching the leaves fall out of the trees.

But today, I will not be doing that.

Instead, I will be writing.

It doesn’t matter much what I do now,

Since invariably life will be annihilated.

Perhaps, some future lifeform will find this,

And will read it. Understand it. Learn about who we were. Who I was.

Most likely, this paper will be annihilated

Along with everything else.

Perhaps I should carve this in stone instead,

For rocks never falter.

There is still another week.

There is still time.

Time to reconnect with a family member or friend.

To reconnect with someone who knows me.

Today I might take a walk

Down to the local park

And soak up the lovely fall day.

Even if the apocalypse is now, I can still enjoy today.

Tomorrow things won’t be much different.

Perhaps the shock many people feel will wear off.

Perhaps the riots and looting will start.

Perhaps not, maybe the Earth will have a peaceful end.

I am utterly hopeless.

There is no future.

I am trapped between the past and the future

Like rubbish in a trash compactor, ever closing in.

Everywhere around the world

People are flocking to places of worship.

Perhaps it is for the best that they feel

Like their souls will be taken care of.

The hardest part for me is seeing the children.

They haven’t yet experienced all life has to offer.

They don’t even know what's going on.

If there is a god, I hope he is merciful to them.

The power has just been cut.

I may not continue writing.

I have a few more things left to do.

And I intend to do them.

If, by chance, we meet again.

Then hello from the past.

Hello from yesterday.

Why could it not stay

Yesterday,

Thu May 06, 2021 10:38 am
Haraya wrote a review...

Hello there! Haraya here to review!

I find this work...interesting. It's unique, definitely something I don't see very often around YWS. I didn't expect it would lead to an apocalypse-scenario because the title was more wistful than foreboding. In general, my feelings for this poem are mixed. I liked some parts, others not as much.

Let's start with the parts I liked!

Most likely, this
paper will be annihilated

Along with
everything else.

I think these lines carry more emotion than they look. The speaker writes despite knowing his work will most likely be destroyed. It gives character to the speaker, showing an internal struggle. "This now seems pointless, but I'll still do it." It's a contradicting mix of hopelessness and perseverance. Very interesting stuff.

I also liked the sudden shift in tone. It works because with the lighthearted title and first few stanzas, I think readers wouldn't really expect it, just as it was unexpected for the speaker and the people in their town.

One of the parts I think could be better is this:

The hardest part for
me is seeing the children.

They haven’t yet
experienced all life has to offer.

They don’t even
know what's going on.

The idea behind these lines is good. The innocent will also have to face the tragedy even without being aware of it. However, I think these lines were doing more telling than showing, which isn't wrong, but I think these lines could've been more layered and impactful if you instead described the cluelessness of the children. Maybe they're wondering why their parents are telling them sad things as if they're saying goodbye. Maybe they're amazed by the idea of an asteroid crashing into their town, like how their favorite dinosaurs saw it in their picture books. It could be something else, but my main point is consider letting the details carry the message.

There are other lines like these in the poem that I think could be improved with more description, but unfortunately, I don't have the time to go over it one by one.

Overall, as I said, this was an interesting read and making a poem about unexpected disasters and maybe even out-of-this-world scenarios is a cool idea for a poem. I might try this out!

That's all! Hope this review helps! Have a great day!

BlueGlow says...

Thanks for the criticism! I definitely felt like those lines could be improved and I may do a revised draft of this in the future. You suggestions were actually really intriguing and I may see if I can't put them to good use. Thanks for reading, reviewing, and taking time to analyze my work! Hopefully it left an impact

LittleLee wrote a review...

BlueGlow, this is a really nice poem. It's thought-provoking and rather fit for today's world.

While reading it, I felt a flurry of emotions. Oddly enough, one of them was wonder; I haven't been able to comprehend how much there is to this world that we cannot see. What would happen if it were known that humanity was going to be annihilated in a short period of time?

The world had not
yet found out the news.

I feel like a better way to phrase this would be,
"The world had not yet heard
of what was to come."

"Found out the news" feels just a tad dull and unemotional.

Yet now today, the
streets are empty.

I think you can remove the "now." It's redundant.

There was nothing
that could be done.

Since you alternate between using past and present tense, and this is technically in the present, I suggest replacing "was" with "is."

Understand it. Learn about who we were. Who I was.

I think this line is wonderful, because a lot of us have the innate desire to be known.

Even if the
apocalypse is now, I can still enjoy today.

I'm really taken by the fact that the narrator chooses to look on the bright side of life. It's heart-warming. Instead of bemoaning imminent death and destruction, they decide to connect with their loved ones and appreciate the time they have left.

Why could it not
stay

Yesterday,

I suggest revising this to:
"Why could it not
have stayed this way?"

My overall impression is pretty good. I appreciate the enjambments - they draw out the feelings in each line and create a melancholic rhythm of sorts - and think the structure of the poem is marvellous. It extends the entire poem, which seems to create an effect of stretching out time itself; the narrator seems to be agonizing over the apocalypse, but resigns themselves to it and decides to spend the time they have doing what they can. It's great stuff, I tell you.

It's been a while since I read other people's poems, and this was a good place to begin again. It's a sad poem, but it's reminded me that the life we have now is a gift worth using.
Thank you.

~Lee

BlueGlow says...

Hey thank you for taking time to read and write an insightful review. i might revise this and fix some of the kinks you mentioned. I'm glad you enjoyed this poem! Thanks for taking time to review, read, and think over my work! Have a great day!

LittleLee says...

My pleasure!

I hope you have a great day, too!

People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.
— Albus Dumbledore