Chance It

by BlueDaisy2018

They tell you that if you run too fast, you’ll trip

And if you jump too high, you’ll fall

And even if you swim as hard a s you can--

No one reaches the other side of the ocean

And you still run too fast and jump to high and swim too far

And you fall

Just like they said you would

Just like everyone said you would

And they are leaning over your shoulder and whispering in your ear

“I told you so”

Over and over

And over

And over

Again and again

And we still keep running and jumping and swimming

And falling

But you get up

You get up even though they say you won’t

But you do

And you keep running

Even though you probably will fall

And you keep jumping

Wishing you could fly

And you keep swimming

Even though it’s stacked a million to one that you won’t reach the other side of the ocean

But we just keep swimming,

Just keep swimming

Because that’s what we live for

The breath that is sucked, like a vacuum from our lungs

The tickle in your stomach, just as you are about to start heading downward

The joy you feel when you look around you, only to see blue sky and sea

So we will never stop even though chance is there

12% chance you will break your leg running

27% chance you will fall flat on your back when you jump

1% chance you will reach the other side of the ocean

But it doesn’t matter

100% your heart will be broken

But-- We still choose to love

Pain comes with the chance to live

And I’m 99% sure

But there’s always that chance… 

MKB says...

This is beautifully written.
Keeping writing, keep pushing and always dream big and believe.
It's not by coincidence I came across this and I have once had these thoughts you've shared. Always hold that one thing that persuades pursue life!

Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:27 am
camillefalgout wrote a review...

Okay I didn't see any big problems with this poem... but I looove the idea of it! Saying things we do even though nothing huge comes out of it and there is something greater but we don't care.. or at least that's what I get out of it. I like how there is no rhyme so it is easy to read and can sound almost like you are speaking. I also like how you use 2nd person to relate to readers... well done!!

Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:02 am
racket wrote a review...

Hello BlueDaisy! racket here to review your work!
I really like this! I think everyone can relate to this, which is always a goal when writing anything. I like your jumping, running, swimming metaphor things, and the percentages at the end. So, yeah! Good job! I have a couple of comments/suggestions you may want to look into to make your poem a bit better.
Okay, well, I would first like to suggest the usage of punctuation here. You really only have hyphens and ellipse's, so I think some commas at the end of lines would really be beneficial, as well as a period here and there. I would suggest rereading your poem out loud so you can hear where you want to put pauses. People tend to read the way they talk, so, yeah, commas where you pause for breathe and conjoining thoughts, and periods where you end a thought or point.
I might also suggest spacing your lines out? Maybe not in stanzas - stanzas don't really go with your poem's style - but maybe you can group some together and emphasize others with spaces between the surrounding lines? I think that could really help your emphasis on some lines and stressing the importance of others to the theme.

You get up even though they say you won't

I think this line would work a bit better if you changed it to "You get up even though they said you wouldn't/couldn't" Your choice of that last word. I think 'couldn't' works a bit better, but it really is a matter of meaning, yes?
There's this spot in your poem near the end where you go on for four or five lines stressing the joys of swimming - but you don't do this with either running or jumping. I think you should take this part out because it's a bit off topic and random, even though it's technically related. I thought you were using running, jumping, and swimming for metaphors in never giving up on things you love and all that jazz, but then you got literal with the swimming and it kind of messes the poem up. Don't get me wrong, I love swimming and I'm sure you do too, based off this poem, but still. It just doesn't fit in well with the rest of the poem.
Well, that's pretty much it! There's a few little spots here and there that could be reworded, but I think if you read aloud the poem you'll catch them and be able to find them. And if you don't catch them, they aren't worth changing. Thanks for letting me nit-pick your poem! I really like this, very motivational and inspiring. It's very well done, and I hope my suggestions can help make it even better! Thanks for your time. Keep up the great work!
~racket

Thank you for reviewing my poem!!!!! I really appreciate what you said and your--though somewhat brutal--honesty. Everything you said was right, though the swimming part was also a metaphor for the perseverance through the journey and the release and joy once you are successful. I really do appreciate your review!!!!

racket says...

Oh, sorry! I didn't mean to be brutal, honestly! XD I try to point out what I like and what I think could be better, but I guess I didn't do so well pointing out how much I liked your poem... It is really good! I'm sorry I sounded like I didn't like it...

it's okay. some constructive criticism is good. dont worry about it. ;)

hey! And you should check out my other poem: I am... a Dreamer!

racket says...

Okay! Will do!

Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:55 am
Dracula wrote a review...

Hey, BlueDaisy! I'm here to review... obviously. :p

Just a nitpick, you've got one too many spaces.

I really like the beginning of your poem, the way you described things people tell us not to do, yet we still do them. My favourite part comes from this chunk:
And you fall
Just like they said you would

It's simple, yet concludes the "intro" and really sets the theme of your poem in stone. The 'I told you so' was also extremely powerful.

Your use of repetition is great, it also sets a nice pace for the poem. There's a sense of hope that comes from this poem, to keep aiming high even though people tell you to stop. And I like how you included statistics, since they rule so many people's lives.

I have only one suggestion...
But we just keep swimming
About halfway through, you switched from 'you' to 'we', then throughout you swap every now and then. Though this isn't that big of a deal, the first time it happened my nice flow was disrupted.

Anyway, it was really an awesome poem and I enjoyed reading it! Please write more! :D

Thank you!!!!! That means a lot!!!!

Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:48 am
SteveDaMan wrote a review...

Wow. very nice poem. I love poems, which are what i write. This poem made me feel... confident? Im sorry this is my first review, and im just trying to get enough points to post something. BTW im 8 years old so please dont judge what im about to do.

Well time to waste words
I like words
How was your day?
Im in elelmentary school
How old are you?
I like trains
Do you like trains?
Trains are very fun
Bye!

Steve

Never waste your words
I also like words
My day was great!
I'm a Sophmore in High School
I'm 15
I have a grandpa who likes trains
Trains are fascinating
I'm glad you like trains so much
Au Revior!

Jamie

MKB says...

This is beautifully written.

You don't need to follow me! You don't need to follow anybody! You got to think for yourselves!
— Brian Cohen