z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Things I'm Bad At

by BluesClues



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1228 Reviews


Points: 144000
Reviews: 1228

Donate
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:12 pm
View Likes
alliyah wrote a review...



Ah, I'm just reading this now somehow?

This is a really strong poem Blue, and everyone who said the message is golden is absolutely right.

Here's some thoughts:

Your stair step rhyming/repetition with these three lines is really interesting, and makes it really catchy sound-wise- like at this point in the poem, I was thinking it'd be a really dynamic spoken word piece. I don't know if this was edited from when the first couple reviews were written, but I would say your enjambment is actually really good - because it succeeds in making the reader read more quickly at a crucial part in the poem, and also creates a skippy rhythm from the hidden repetition. - The repetition would be annoying if it fell in the same place of the line each time, but it stays interesting because it switches up.

laughter. And I know I look crazy. I know people think,
that girl is weird. And I know if could curl in on myself,
hold myself in, things might be easier. But I'm bad at fitting
into
too- narrow shoes. Fitting keys into locks. Smiling


^ The wrapping the rhymes in the middle and ends of the lines, through repetition sort of amps up the pace of the piece - because you're breaking up the lines in different ways each time the phrase repeats, I think this makes the last 3 lines fall a little slower too, because the reader isn't caught by enjambment anymore.

Yeah I think the formatting of all this was just perfect, and a poem about imperfection would be kinda hypocritical if all the lines were 100% even I think, so I even like the paragraph poetry look pushed into one stanza, because it's a bit more rebellious, and lets readers appreciate those line-breaks.

I liked the imagery throughout because it was really specific, but also completely relateable. Like gosh I'm sick of flats killing my feet, and overthinking pictures. And I think a whole lot of people can relate to those images/moments. I like that rather than just saying, "sometimes I'm self-conscious of pictures I'm in" you showed what that looks like - so you did a good job "showing" rather than "telling" creating a really vivid feeling in the first few lines of the poem, that the reader could share with the speaker / and then have their expectations of the mood/tone of the poem change as the poem concluded to it's positive ending.

A little critique:

I really like the parallelism in the poem from the first to second halves, but there were two parts I thought could be improved. I wish that the escalators / stairs had made some sort of reappearance at the 2nd half of the poem like the other images did, even in using like "ups and downs" language or something - because declaring boldly "I struggle with escalators!" doesn't seem as brave & significant comparatively to the rest of the poem which sort of heightens into a "I'm going to be me, whether or not that fits in." So that for me wasn't quite as full circle, but I did like how you used the rest of the images. I also think you could have had a line in the first half that demonstrated the "Loving with anything less than my whole heart" - because I'm not sure the escalators or picture-taking quite got there , and it seems like there must be some sort of similar type of image you could get in that would lead into that conclusion at the end.

Overall, this is a really well written poem, but also one that is enjoyable to read, and I think impactful. Well done Blue, I'm happy that I stumbled across this now, even if it's a few months late.

- alliyah

#HappyRevMo




BluesClues says...


Thanks for the review! I have actually since revised this (and,,,submitted it to a journal YIKES, I actually meant to hide it from the website for that reason but I forgot??? But I'll probably worry about that after you've at least seen this comment). The escalators and stairs were replaced by other things that went along with the fitting/not fitting motif (namely, packing stuff for trips and cramming luggage into overhead bins). So I know you haven't seen the updated version, but hopefully that fixed the issues you pointed out!



alliyah says...


Oohh exciting! Good luck with the journal, fingers crossed!



BluesClues says...


Thanks!



User avatar
28 Reviews


Points: 39
Reviews: 28

Donate
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:20 pm
View Likes
averyismediocre wrote a review...



I love love love love love love love love this so much! Many people, including me, can definitely relate to this in some way. Maybe not the last part as much, but eventually theyĺl get there. Relatability is a really good thing to have in a poem. It draws the audience in and keeps them interested. Then the positive spin on it made it even better because it takes something that everyone can relate to and tend to view as flaws and it makes them feel better about themselves and who they are. That was an unnecessary rant, sorry. Anyways, I really do like this poem, but I would've added stanzas. The words get all messy with no break in them and such a cute message needs to be heard. That's it though. The rest is adorable. Keep on writing! - Avery <3






Also if you meant to not have structure to go with the whole faults thing, that's totally fine too. I just now realized that the way it's structured could've been an artistic choice. Sorry! -Avery <3



BluesClues says...


Thanks so much for the review! Normally I actually do stanzas! But I felt like keeping it all jumbled together was the way to go with this particular poem. I'm glad you liked it.





Okay, I thought so! I was confused at first and it didn't click with me because your writing is so lovely that I wouldn't think you had stanza issues, but as I thought about it I realized that it was most likely on purpose. Sorry for the mix-up!



BluesClues says...


No problem! You never know, it could've been stanza issues - even if the writing was good I might not have understood the value of stanzas or something, so it's always worth noting something that throws you off, even if the author doesn't take the suggestion!



User avatar


Points: 404
Reviews: 3

Donate
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:54 pm
View Likes



The message is Golden <333. This was a lovely read for me especially cuz i'm bad a at a lot of these too lol, kinda an 'i'm not the only one (yay)' moment. The last five sentences are my absolute favorite. I admire your thought process so really nice art <3. Divine.




BluesClues says...


Thanks so much for reading! I'm glad you liked it. (Also I'm def bad at just the dumbest things, so you are DEFINITELY NOT ALONE.)



User avatar
590 Reviews


Points: 1234
Reviews: 590

Donate
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:43 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...



I was going to comment on how much I loved the imagery, but I love the message even more. I just find it to be really relatable. <3




BluesClues says...


Thanks! <3 I'm glad you liked it.



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 73
Reviews: 25

Donate
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:32 pm
View Likes
LJF wrote a review...



I reallly, I really like this poem. I love the unbroken style-- it gives it a sort of energy and makes me feel like you're talking right next to me. I love that the poem had a positive message-- I was sort of expecting a depressing ending, but it didn't, and that made me happy. I love that it starts as just an ordinary list but quickly morphs into much more. I love the visual metaphor of the ugly stepsisters. I just love this poem so much!


(Maybe I should just call this review "Things I Love About This Poem"?)




BluesClues says...


Omg the end of that review made me giggle! Thanks so much for reading.



User avatar
109 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 109

Donate
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:52 am
View Likes
silvermoon17 wrote a review...



Your poem has a nice originality to it, as well as a nice choice of words. The only problem I have with it though, is the fact l’aime of your sentences go on for some time; it’s not really a problem- but it destroys the flow. Just saying. Then after that there is the title. It’s fine, really; but a poem should be kinda independent of a title- which basically means maybe you could repeat what you wrote in your title somewhere in the poem. A lot of people do it at either the beginning, climax; or end. Then there’s the way you shaped your stanza (because I see only one) where your sentences are sometimes this way
“Wearing flats—I gave to bandage my heels,
Stuff the toes, curl my feet in on themselves”
Instead of
“Wearing flats
I have to bandage my heels, stuff the toes, curl my feet in on themselves,”
I mean, you can do that.. but changing a line means usually one of these two things:
•you’re changing point/imagery
•you’re trying to make a rhyme
But since there are no rhyme and no imagery or change of point- I’ll go for the fact this was by pure choice of.. of who knows what. And of course, the imagery.
I would be inclined to say that all the things you’re “bad at” are metaphors- because of your age and the way you link all these things you’re bad at with being yourself- but then the things you describe might just as well as being things you’re really bad at. Still, the idea of metaphors would be kinda poetic seeing how you developed that at he end.
My advice would be to shorten your sentences
Add imagery/metaphors/personification/..
Be less dependent on the title (I mean you probably referee to the title at some point, but it was kinda unclear because you moved on in quite a rush)




BluesClues says...


Thanks for the review!



User avatar
286 Reviews


Points: 625
Reviews: 286

Donate
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:16 am
View Likes
silented1 wrote a review...



Hey, you're a good writer. I'd like to say that you need to experiment with enjambment more. In the line "an over abundance of laughter" should be all one line. Leaving off at "of" makes it kind of lacking in its quality to produce an image or understanding in the reader's mind.

I would remove "things might be easier". It does have emotional charge, but it lacks a lot because it's a general statement. General statements are good to start with, but not good to end with, or in this case, near end with. "But I'm bad at fitting into too-narrow shoes" ends much better, without the "things might be easier." Also, I would remove "too-" it's going to be understood that the shoes are too narrow anyway, since you're struggling to fit into them.

"Fitting keys into locks. Smiling" This is good enjambment. Very good. I like it a lot.

And quite a sad ending, if I do say so myself.




BluesClues says...


Thanks for the review!




If a story is in you, it has to come out.
— William Faulkner