12+

Adventures in Particle Physics

by Blou

Particle Physics and the Circular Crash

The Large Hadron Collider is the largest particle accelerator in the world. It forces particles together, and because particles are mostly air, almost all the particles pass each other.

Asa had this date. She didn’t say it was a date, because that would be too much commitment, and she’ll call the date X—, because she doesn’t want you to think she doesn’t have a sense of privacy. When Asa tells you she wasn’t that into X—, she doesn’t mean X— was bad in any way. Really, X— was great, as far as Asa knew (and she didn’t know much), but she had a hard time getting excited about it anyway.

They were at the kind of party you needed to be two Solo cups of boxed wine deep to enjoy (or else be friends with the people there). Everyone— how many? They were all tangled — sprawled across the floor or crammed along the bed, feet hanging off, heads on shoulders, legs over legs over legs, and somehow the heat of all the bodies was less sweaty than serenely encompassing, a blanket of noise and weight. It was raining outside, and the plink of the rain on the roof melded with the music and the lazy chatter so that all the noise was underwater and far away.

Each time around the bend, two or four particles out of billions manage to crash into each other, and they form new particles, which have only existed elsewhere during the first few moments of the universe.

Asa was braiding X—’s hair, and X—tilted her head for better access, in that way that made a muscle in her jaw flash. Asa hoped she was doing well. She will clarify: Shemeant doing well because it definitely felt like a test. X—had written her number down in Bic pen on Asa’s arm and said, would you want to come to this thing Thursday night? because she liked her, right? In some sense of the word. And Asa didn’t not like X—. And just by thinking that this was a test, and not just getting lost in the fold and letting this whole foreplay thing get her turned on, she was already failing.

And everything seemed to be passing her by.

It was a year after—Asa will call them Fish so she can remind herself and remind you that they were only that. There are plenty of fish and Fish wasn’t special. Fish hummed while Asa was speaking. They chewed on the ends of their glasses. They couldn’t say exactly how they felt, even when she was crying, which Asa will declare now made them a coward. Asa will tell you that, and all of that was true.

The new particles that are made vanish in less than an instant. The only way to prove they existed is to trace their decay.

They were doing the spin-the-bottle thing now, but it wasn’t called spin-the-bottle because this was not a sixth-grade overnight class trip getting out of hand, and it had more rules and involved a cardboard box, and the bottle landed on somebody who wasn’t Asa, and the room did that little ooo sound because Oh Em Gee, X— was going to kiss some guy who wasn’t Asa. But X smirked and, getting on her knees to reach the bottle, moved the it a couple inches so it pointed to Asa. There was a cry of injustice, but when X— pulled Asa to her this dissipated in a syrupy cheer, and Asa thought, this is fine. It was a kiss. It was a good kiss, even. Not too much tongue or anything. She put a hand to X’s neck, brushed hair out of the way. It was okay. It was okay.

She won’t tell you how Fish got her up in the middle of the night to hear it raining, and when it wasn’t enough for them, just listening together in the dark, they tiptoed outside to hear it rain. In minutes they were drenched, water running into their mouths and between their toes. Fish was laughing and said something but the water was also in her ears, and it didn’t matter anyway. And even though they were underwater, they were on fire.

An even larger Hadron Collider is theorized to be able to prove the existence of other dimensions. When you try to prove it, you have a specific dimension in mind: The dimension when you didn’t say that thing to that person, where they still text you and you and them lasted forever.

When the party was over, (it went out like a candle, a slow burn and a flicker until it was gone), they peeled away and they walked along the sidewalk holding hands, bumping shoulders in a haze towards X—’s dorm. X— said, “You seem distracted.”

And Asa said, “I was. I was distracted by you.” And she turned to look at X—, and tried to examine her more closely. Her smile, gentle and studying, seemed to slide off her; everything was sliding like icing on a too-warm cake.

“Oh yeah?”

But our own dimension is a sheet of paper that we are not on, but in. and even if there are reams and reams of paper on top of our sheet, testudinately infinite reams all the way down, and even if we prove that, it wouldn’t even matter, except that now we know there is something out there that we can’t have. And we already knew that, didn’t we?

“Yeah.”

They were at the dorm entrance. It was only spitting now, a cool mist collecting on X—’s cheeks and nose. Asa remembered she was beautiful, and for a moment, she will admit, she was stunned by it.

She remembered the night they broke up, she and Fish. It was raining outside, and she was crying, and Fish didn’t know what to say, and so they just left, and went into the bathroom to change even though they had seen each other naked a hundred times at least. Asa slept on the floor but she wouldn’t call it sleeping.

And she won’t tell you about that first prehistoric crash, because the death of it is so, so much longer than the life was.

X— swung her hands lightly, expectantly, and her hands swinging lightly seemed like one of those intimate details Asa should notice, so she noticed it.

“Are you coming up?” X— asked. 

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:56 pm
Vaibhav wrote a review...

Hey
U must be suggesting that this is how People meet and move on. This is how I see it.

"The new particles that are made vanish in less than an instant. The only way to prove they existed is to trace their decay."

Since the topic was scientific all I was looking for was such statements. Some are really well made. Especially you could have gone into that circular crash that went unmentioned.

Anyways, here's to some errors in your experiment as I see it.
"When Asa tells you she wasn’t that into "

"Oh Em Gee, X— was going to kiss some guy who wasn’t Asa. "

Here the gender aspect went out of hands for me. As in Asa is a girl then X is a boy and then X is going to kiss some other guy.
Whenever a third character is introduced there must be something told about him. A single line would do.
Anyways the detailing is really fine. And the topic is sure to catch attention of the reader.

Lumos wrote a review...

Hi Blou! So this is an interesting concept and I'm not sure I completely understand it. There might be some science-y aspects that are way over my head. I do know that the Large Hadron Collider is an actual thing and when they first turned it on there was some "commotion" that it would end the world. (Glad it didn't though).

So, anyway, let's hop on in!

Everyone— how many? They were all tangled — sprawled across the floor or crammed along the bed, feet hanging off, heads on shoulders, legs over legs over legs, and somehow the heat of all the bodies was less sweaty than serenely encompassing, a blanket of noise and weight.

This is a long and wordy sentence. I would separate it so the "somehow the heat of of all the bodies" is a new sentence. It would make it easier to read.

I love the way you describe people everywhere though - very imaginative! It seems more of a sleeping party than a dancing party though, with everyone laying down on the floor.

X—had written her number down in Bic pen on Asa’s arm and said, would you want to come to this thing Thursday night?

I don't think you really need the "Bic pen" portion. It's a bit distracting and doesn't flow too well. This is an example of where you'd trust the reader to know what you mean. Someone wouldn't write on skin with a pencil, right?

It was a year after—Asa will call them Fish so she can remind herself and remind you that they were only that. There are plenty of fish and Fish wasn’t special.

I like this. At first, I was confused. Who's (or what) this fish? And then the second sentence brought it together. Honestly, even though the first bit was confusing I still really like it and the cleverness behind it!

I think the overall main criticism I have for this story is that it's a bit jarring how it jumps between the characters. There are three characters: Asa (MC), X, and Fish. I struggled with the timeline and the jumping between characters.

For example, you introduce Fish and then the next paragraph is about playing spin the bottle with X. What happened to Fish? Is she there, too? Is this a difference scene in time?

And then in the next paragraph we are back with Fish again. From what I can tell, these are completely difference scenes in time, but it can be a bit jarring to the reader to flip back and forth.

I think the use of the Large Hadron Collider is more of a metaphor for Asa's relationships and the 3 characters are particles flying around. At first, she's unsure of how she feels about X. She likes her, but isn't totally sure and nothing ever comes of it. Asa dates other people (Fish), which doesn't work out, and then she meets with X again and things seem to work out better.

That might be oversimplified and unfortunately I'm not really sure the exact mechanics of a Hadron Collider. I do think this is a really cool concept and enjoyed reading.

Thanks for sharing and keep writing!

Lumos

Starve wrote a review...

Hello Blou ! Traves here for a quick review!

-I'm not sure I understand it completely, but this was an interesting concept for sure. For most of the part it kept itself on the side of entertaining, not crossing over to annoying.
I'm not sure if X- is a reference to anions for one. As I kept reading along the two separate interwoven threads, I was hoping all the time that they would come together at the end, and you definitely delivered. Even if I felt it was a tad gimmicky at places, this was more fun to read than it would have been otherwise. The more I read it, the more I appreciate this piece.

-It was such a different way of approaching conflict and resolution than what I usually read on here. One of them did feel more resolved, but for the second one I guess acceptance/resignation is also resolution. This was reasonably complete as flash fiction, but I still would have liked a bit more plot. I have to say that I don't read romance a lot so I don't know the typical types and tropes of the genre,but this felt less of an entire story ? Probably more a slice-of-life episode.

- If the Asa/X-/Fish is a reference to something that I didn't get please let me know.

- One nitpick that I had throughout the work was that there seemed to be a few awkward sentences which tripped me up. Like

--

They were at the kind of party you needed to be two Solo cups of boxed wine deep to enjoy (or else be friends with the people there).

the "two solo cups of boxed wine deep" part could have improved readability with hyphenation ( though I'm not sure if that's grammatically necessary)

--
They were all tangled — sprawled across the floor or crammed along the bed, feet hanging off, heads on shoulders, legs over legs over legs, and somehow the heat of all the bodies was less sweaty than serenely encompassing, a blanket of noise and weight.

--
They were doing the spin-the-bottle thing now, but it wasn’t called spin-the-bottle because this was not a sixth-grade overnight class trip getting out of hand, and it had more rules and involved a cardboard box, and the bottle landed on somebody who wasn’t Asa, and the room did that little ooo sound because Oh Em Gee, X— was going to kiss some guy who wasn’t Asa.

These sentences are too long imo, and the overuse of and to hold them together, alongwith some sentences needlessly starting with and, soured the flow of the read a bit.

--
She won’t tell you how Fish got her up in the middle of the night to hear it raining, and when it wasn’t enough for them, just listening together in the dark, they tiptoed outside to hear it rain.
I'm confused by the subject and tense changes although you demarcate Fish and MC with "they" and "her". Not a big issue, but I had to read it twice.

If you've done this on purpose, for a certain effect, I guess it's okay but sentences like these hurt the flow.

Other than that, I enjoyed reading this, and could also get the distanced vibe of the main story juxtaposed to the very intense particle collision part. Very different. Nicely done.
If you have any questions about the review let me know.

Keep writing and sharing!

We join for the writing and stay for the community!
— Horisun