z

Young Writers Society



Books please (again)

by Bloo


I have no idea why I am making this sense I still have 15 books on my self waiting to be read, but I am so here are some books I like, and my general like for books to help you.

I generally read Fantasy books with lots of adventure and suspense. Usually about teenagers who suddenly just get sucked into it with no knowledge of whats going on. They go on the adventure, reluctantly at first then start to do it of their own choice, discover powers, save people, you know the usual in those books.

Books I have liked

The harry potter series

The pendragon series

The percy Jackson and the Olympian series

The gatekeepers/ power of five series

the quantum prophecy series

The under land chronicles

the divide trilogy

the shadow children series

So yeah, suggest please.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
144 Reviews


Points: 11482
Reviews: 144

Donate
Mon May 11, 2009 4:21 pm
GoldenQuill wrote a review...



You should read the Inkheart books. There's three of them: Inkheart, Inkspell, Inkdeath. They're all writen by Cornelia Funke.
I'll give you like a 'back-of-the-cover-worthy' oreintation about it, just so you can get the picture.

INKHEART:
Mortimor Folchart and his daughter, Meggie, travel the world for Mo's profession. Mo is a book binder; he binds books that covers are peeling away. Meggie thinks her life is seeming normal, despite the fact that her mother had disappeared when she was little. But she had no idea how exciting her boring little life could be...
One night a stranger with a vaguely familar face appears at her house. He calls her father 'Silvertongue', and himself 'Dustfinger'. He also speaks of a man who is after Mo to get his hands on a certain book Mo has.
While Meggie doesn't understand why this certain book is so important, it seems like part of Mo's life, and he runs away in fear of it getting taken away from him. But while trying to run away from danger, he runs into it, accidentally putting everyone he's ever loved in mortal danger, including the mother that Meggie thought was dead...
Join Meggie and her friends on a nail-biting adventure that will leave you wanting more.
Inkheart.
[Rated PG. In Theatres June 23.]

*ke he* Kidding about the movie part. ^.^ It did come out on movie, and the DVD's out June 23. It is rated PG, but the book is aimed for a bit older people. It has a few parts were they curse, and a few fights; but if you've read Harry Potter, it'll be fine.
The Inkworld books are a really good fantasy; my favorite. You should really read them, they're fantastic.




User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 1664
Reviews: 13

Donate
Fri May 01, 2009 12:41 pm
MaresAzulados says...



I LOVE PERCY JACKSON BOOKS!!!! ;P




User avatar
58 Reviews


Points: 4428
Reviews: 58

Donate
Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:01 pm



I second the motion for the Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix, and recommend anything by R.A. Salvatore. He's an exceptionally good fantasy author.




User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 53

Donate
Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:47 pm
Araidne wrote a review...



There aren't exactly fantasy, they are historical fiction, but i would recomend The Strongbow Saga by Judson Roberts The first three books are out ;
Viking Warrior
Dragons from the sea
The Road to Vengeance

For modern fantasy, i would recomend anything by Melissa Marr:
Wicked Lovely
Ink Exchange
Fragile Eternity




Random avatar

Points: 1696
Reviews: 12

Donate
Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:02 am
BlueShift wrote a review...



My favorite fantasy trilogy is The Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix :). It's EXTREMELY well-written. I also love the first installment of the Bartimaeus Trilogy, called The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud. It's a really funny and engaging novel :D. I'd even go as far as to say it's the most enjoyable book I've ever read :).




User avatar
21 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 21

Donate
Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:40 am



Try Firebirds Rising.

It's not really a novel, it's an anthology. But it's good. I like the stories in it.

Artemis Fowl Series.

Not exactly fantasy, but a must-read.

And The Belgariad series by David Eddings.

Good high fantasy.




Random avatar

Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:36 am
fallen.dust wrote a review...



Well, I have a couple of books to recommend off the top of my head.

There's the Mortal Instruments Trilogy, by Cassandra Clare; City of Bones, City of Ashes and City of Glass.
I really can't do summaries but here goes. It's about a girl called Clary, who essentially gets pulled into a world of Shadowhunters, demons, fey, warlocks, vampires and werewolves. The books are hilarious, easy to read and definitely worth it.

I loved Alyzon Whitestarr (think that's how it's spelled), by Isobelle Carmody.
Alyzon, the girl in the title role, develops powers after she gets hit on the head. She can smell the "essence" of people and figure out some things about their thoughts etc. from that. She has a fairly large family and a group of people she makes friends with shortly after she discovers her powers. It's not long until she finds out that something sinister is going on, so she has to investigate.

There's also the Stravaganza series by Mary Hoffman; City of Masks, City of Stars, City of Flowers, City of Secrets.
There is another world, similar to a Renaissance/medieval Italy, that Lucien (in the first book that is) gets transported to, through a talisman. He spends his time there when he is "sleeping" in this world. Lots of adventure ensues.

I think I'll probably come and edit this post at some point with some more recommendations, but there are those for now.




User avatar
146 Reviews


Points: 2365
Reviews: 146

Donate
Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:05 pm
SeleneForeverDream wrote a review...



The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind is excellent for fantasy lovers and people who like Eragon. My avvie is represents the Sword of Truth series, because they're some of my favorite books.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll love it. They're leaning toward the long-ish side when it comes to books, but when you really get into them the time flies by.

Here are the books in the series:

Wizard's First Rule

Stone of Tears

Blood of the Fold

Temple of the Winds

Soul of the Fire

Faith of the Fallen

The Pillars of Creation

Naked Empire

Chainfire

Phantom

Confessor




User avatar
216 Reviews


Points: 9593
Reviews: 216

Donate
Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:06 am
asxz wrote a review...



I have just finished 'Life as we knew it' - Susan Beth Pfeffer.
I would really recommend it to you - or anyone for that matter - because, even though it isn't the sort of book I would normally read, I loved it! Seriously... READ IT! You will thank me for it! I liked it because of the plot, as it is something that hasn't been dome before - unlike teeenage adventure fiction that i normally read! Really... read it!




User avatar
1176 Reviews


Points: 1979
Reviews: 1176

Donate
Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:39 pm
Twit says...



They don't quite fit your criteria, but I recommend Catherine Webb's books, because they're awesome, funny fantasy and I haven't met anyone who's read them yet.




User avatar
261 Reviews


Points: 1802
Reviews: 261

Donate
Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:54 pm
KnightlyAngel09 says...



I was going to suggest Percy Jackson but I see you've already got that on your list.

Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. First book is called The Book of Three.




User avatar
277 Reviews


Points: 7061
Reviews: 277

Donate
Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:22 pm
Master_Yoda wrote a review...



Try the Sword of Shannara Trilogy by Terry Brooks. It's great fantasy. :)

You might also try Trudi Canavan's The Black Magician Trilogy. It's pretty solid too.





A diamond is merely a lump of coal that did well under pressure.
— Unknown