Merry Mourners - Chapter One

by Blink

Merry Mourners

[flashback]

Your son? Six this morning, thereabouts. Smashed by a hammer. She’s in custody, your wife. Speak to her if you want. No? I really am sorry, sir. Very sorry. My colleague sends his condolences.

Help yourself to coffee.

The officer turns back to the window, his hands locked behind him and his neck upright with the poise of a swan. He is watching the trees. Me still a leaning figure of bones, tense, upon the chair. My face bloodless.

You okay, sir? Seem a bit shocked is all.

More waiting. Reclined waiting.

Do we have your phone number?

Good.

Well, the officer says, don’t let us keep you.

His hands waving at the doors with their glass panels revealing a spidery day. Light depressed by the blackout film, a bruised sunlight waiting for me.

I walk outside. Don’t let us keep you.

[/flashback]

*

Images passing before his eyes again, drifting in and out like a movie reel clicking round and round in an empty theatre. His mind clouded by them. Ashamed words eluded from his voice. There is no one to hear them. The beggar leaning against the wall, his words all scattered by the flight of moth businessmen.

The house is hungry. Its doors and windows dried and shrivelled mouths before the summer, carpet weaving inside, tongue parched, an unrolled cigarette. Door open. Come in, it says. Hungry, desperate. Unripened strawberry walls not good enough.

Let me feast.

The beggar learns his first word today. The first in a long while that the crowd has not broken and scattered among the weeds. The word was good once, it was civil, common in is air. He watches the people waddle along the pathway and they, without intent, remove all doubt of its existence. But it does not exist for the beggar. He doesn’t know what the word is, but he can see the people smile it, and laugh it in and taste it in their food only a few feet away. Food, food, food. He drools for it like a hidden child at the summer day.

Begging. That’s what it’s all about. His hands are not high at all, barely significant. They just float above his knees in a kind of limbo state of play. The beggar laughing. His hands are snatched together, two palms rubbing together like a millionaire holding his notes in the wind. He’s laughing at God.

Crosses prayers fear death perfection.

Not really fitting him, and so he’s laughing. Perhaps he’s praying. No one will ever know. The beggar’s mind is scared like a tortoise before man. The shell ever so slowly crumbling, at the moment just a little flaky and not a lot more. But soon, his head will break.

*

[flashback]

I’m sitting in my lounge now. Didn’t really drive anywhere, just sort of passed along the roads and heard the old spice of the radio blasting slurred music down my ears as the tyres rocked in and out of potholes and dead rabbits and foxes and badgers.

Gotta go gettin’, father can’t go waitin’, on my wedding day.

And I sang it a little, wondering why I was singing alone a song that I never had before.

Door closed. TV on. Eyes closed. Dream on. Boy there. Woman next to him, her shadow resting on his skin and then the boy’s hand trailing through his hair and then there’s no more to that dream before the woman’s index finger rises to her lips and we’re in a nightmare. But we’re together if only for a short time. All three in a void where there’s no nothing, not even an up or a down but still all three of us who elude the emptiness that should be.

So quick, so quick.

06:50. The alarm tolls and it’s time for another dose of reality. This is where someone has removed routine from my day, and it’s where the woman would sit up and stir up a coffee and some porridge in the kitchen and give some to me. It’s where I’d nod and drink as some sick child. The phone rings. I pick it up.

What do you want?

Heard the news.

The news, I say. It’s no news to me.

It sure ain’t. Look, my mrs is comin’ over later to see how you are.

I think I’m not. Just leave me alone, Paul.

You know what Mum said on her deathbed?

Always send your wife if there’s dirt to be scrubbed. Yeah, I can guess.

She said to sit by my phone and keep a watch on the door if you go off the rails, he says. Little brothers need to be looked after. But let me know if you’re needin’ a counsel. Work’s nothing.

This is where I’d ebb a smile to my lips. This is where habit shows its first sign of defeat.

Bye, Paul.

I fall back onto my bed, and I stare at the ceiling. The patterns start to mutate, mouths opening and closing and eyes bobbing around like those mouths as if they were the rude audience to some silent orator. So many voices, now, so many that I can’t even hear.

[/flashback]

*

He’ll be forgotten in a moment. Thieves don’t care for emotional wealth. Murderers will see and shake the thought away. Even they have some motive. The moment of deity as the victim slips down not quite dead, the bit where they die merely a concluding consequence—none of this in the beggar. Then the pedestrian, passive workers. They haven’t the time to care.

Lots and lots of people all seeing him—but he can do what he wants. Attention, yes, attention. He can keep that for a few moments and then as soon as they walk away he’s forgotten. He can do what he wants.

He’s God.

Finishes praying.

Tucks up his eyes behind their lids and stands up. Man watching him. Now a woman. A group of people, crowd. He can hear them notice him as he rises to their level and now the light is shining on his rags. This is where the people lip up their faces in revulsion and scramble away. Desperados breaking up beyond recognition. But it don’t matter, it’s a dream, he’ll wake up soon.

Laughing. Can’t be sure who, though, and so he’s laughing some more to be certain.

Wino! they spit. Lookata freak, mum!

Stay away, darlin’. Don’t let yourself buy anything.

Drugs! the beggar shouts. I got drugs! That’s what you wanna hear! Hah!

And now they’ll all toppling over his arms and tripping onto the ground like children on broken slides.

Run, mama! He’s insane!

It’s all very good fun. He regards them as they flee, as if they see something to fear in him. His undernourished arms as they loop in some kind of dance—nothing but a wild chance card that they take, running. He watches the afternoon claim everyone in the vicinity as they hurry away and their feet clatter like cutlery on a platter. So many voices. All those faces that never die and just get bigger and more powerful with their eyes all glaring from the air like women and children shooting up out of shallow water and screaming with sharks as they chase them—

This is when the sun sets. Shortly after the road sleeps and the beggar moves on the ground. No one leaves. Pigeons flounder overhead. Doors and windows like cells and bolted shut with their owners risking a glance outside and holding their phones close in case the madman comes knocking.

Now it’s just the voices. He knows all about their lusty glares their moonless mares myriads of followers pilgrims who love his pain feed off it hungry they’re going to get him.

*

[flashback]

Honey, I’m saying. I’m home.

Honey’s not responding. I wonder why. She’s banged up in some jail, maybe. Don’t know. I think the phone said something about it yesterday but it’s hazy like the crackling of a TV screen. A few bits of information dropping in through the black and white dots but no real colour, no substance, no connection, no plot, no marbles. I can’t really be sure I woke up. I don’t think I have, yet. Because none of this makes sense—

The clock says 17:21

and now

there are words. Wake up, it says. Wake up.

I never thought my life could be lost late October dreaming. Is it even October? No? That’d be why then. When I go to bed I wake up, yes—it’s up the wooden hill for me. Resting on the pillow, snorting, rolling over like some drunken student. Them good old days. I’m smiling as I fall asleep.

[/flashback]

*

Night. Bits of chipped moon rise out of the clouds like a wart poking out of cotton wool. It’s too cold, suspenseful, as if a group of vampires are waiting for someone to die. No, no—mustn’t think that. Dreams are wild. Anything you realise couldn’t happen, any time you remind yourself that no, it’s not possible, it will be.

He’s scrubbing his head of all the voices.

Lemme go leave me alone I hate you. Cummon. Show us ya heart.

Get outa my head! the beggar says, but they just get louder. Rocking, rocking back and forth, forth, back and forth like an old cat lady on her rotting chair.

Excuse me? Would you like to come with us?

No! he shouts. But he looks up and there is a woman there with her book cover hair smiling some voodoo doll complexion. Julia?

Julia. Her voice intones as she looks up at a man, not crouching though still a little shorter than her and they share a glance. They’re plotting.

Paul said something about a Julia. Was that his wife?

You’re not Julia? Go away! The beggar is clinging onto his beer-stained trousers and looking up at her opal reflection, a dim globe against the moon. What about Sam? Haven’t you grown!

The man looks at him. Yes, yes, it must be Sam. No one would approach him like this. He’s the king of the road. Only the beggar walks the street at night, only the beggar talks throughout the night. Only ever him.

And those voices.

Go for it.

The man grabs at the beggar, and pulls him up by the collar. Sam stinks. Full of flowers and slumdog odours.

Get off me! Please, please, just let me sit down. I’m tired. I need to sleep.

(I need to wake up from this nightmare.)

And then a few minutes later they take the beggar and lock him up in a big white box where the sun does not shine.

*

Note - obviously, this is very strange and I don't really know if it works. All those flashbacks were in italics, but it would have taken me far too long to italicise them here. Would love general feedback on whether this appeals to you, if you like it--all that jazz, please. Thanks for reading! :wink:

Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:59 am
Kiss In The Rain wrote a review...

Okay. I agree with everyone that this was waaaayyyy way confusing. But, I found that it added character to your piece. It was one of those stories where it is annoyingly full of simple sentences and it is annoyingly confusing because things jump back and forth, but it was also very intriguing. I actually really liked the way you wrote this. Lol, some people are just incapable of reading something different without tearing it apart in order for it to make sense (:lol: lol, I'm joking guys, you have every right, it's your style of reading). However, I thought that this was fantastic, and I will most certainly be looking out for the next part. I wouldn't change anything, personally, but, whatever you do, I shall be looking for part two. :)

Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:14 pm
Blink says...

... and so I leave a note in all your guestbooks. ^_^

Thanks, anyway. I think the general consensus is that it was confusing, yah? I agree completely. I think I rushed it too much, and this is the product. I'll carry on with the story because I like the idea, but yeah, I'll be editing quite heavily here.

Third section. Flashbacks without italics are horribly confusing, and I’m starting to despise being confused. I actually had a moment of blankness when I read the comment of it taking too italicize. Because I don’t particularly care. I’m sorry, but I don’t. It makes my life – my reading your piece – that much harder, and I do not appreciate it. Much less reading a comment explaining it.

Oh my, I'm really sorry. I didn't think about it like that - I thought it would be obvious, and that they weren't necessary, but I was obviously very wrong. Sorry again. :wink: I'll put a small header where each flashback begins and ends.

So yeah, thanks all.
Blinky

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:35 am
Esmé wrote a review...

Blink,

I usually stay as far away from story forms that are not „normal” in the general, old-fashioned sense of the word, so: quotes, actual full paragraphs, etc. But I thought I’d give this a shot and wasn’t disappointed.

Now, since I don’t normally read anything along these lines, I can’t offer a constructive critique as to how it can be improved or altered for the better. But I can say that it was the title that originally caught my eye – catchy is the word. And then the first section succeeded tremendously in pulling me in and keeping my attention.

I found that despite not knowing word-by-words responses to the officer’s dialogue, I understood everything perfectly. It was quite intriguing, in fact. I don’t think I’d be able to pull of something like that, and so, as far as my opinion is concerned, I’d not change anything at all there.

The next section confused me. I did not understand the part about the beggar learning his first word that day, and the removing of all doubt. I mean, it had an ah, nice crust around it, but I still fail to understand.

Quote:
Crosses prayers fear death perfection.

Comma up there? I don’t really understand.

On the other hand I liked the characterization in this section, in all sections, how details were slipped in with discretion – e.g. who she is to him, his name. But still I found this confusing, a bit, and while I liked the wording, the phrasing, how the story was told an unveiled, and don’t think I actually like it that much. Just – okay. Mind you, this is personal preference. And those flashbacks – like the reviewer above me, I had trouble following what was now and what was before. Horrible, that. Original and interesting, but the key word is: confusing.

Quote:
Full of flowers and odours that would like gold in a painting.

Would what?

Esme

Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:16 am
lilymoore wrote a review...

Blinky my Blink! I told you I would come and I did. I am here. I have read. Now I shall review.

I’m not going to touch on nitpick things because that was already done. I’m just going to be honest with you…I was lost the whole time. I’m still not sure what went on in that story. Maybe you should have done the italics because I wasn’t easily able to figure out which sections were flashbacks and which ones weren’t.

However, I want to really compliment you one the section that I enjoyed the most, the second one about the beggar. Something about it conveyed the very hopeless tone and idea of the character. It was wonderful and the word choice was nothing below your usual Blink-ness.

I’m going to make another complaint too about dialogue that is actually a short little rant. *clears throat* Okay, seriously, can’t we all just use dialogue marks like normal people. I hate having to try and figure out what is being said from what is being thought and what is being done. First Kylan, now you, what is the world coming too. *clears throat again and steps off soapbox* Sorry Blink, I had to do it.

Honestly Blink, my best advice is to sit down and:
1. Italicize
2. Add some quotation marks for me!

Those two things could actually do a lot for this piece because the only real problem I have with it is that I can’t follow flashback and real time along with the dialogue rant.

I hope I was at least a little help Blink.

~lilymoore

elijah1 wrote a review...

Ah, excellent. I love the writing style.

However, it still needs some work.

She’s in custody, your wife.

You go from talking about 'your son' to 'she's in custody.'
For the sake of not losing your reader, consider:
Your wife, she’s in custody.

This tells the reader that you're no longer talking about 'your son.'

with the poise of a swan.

Delete this. This makes me think of a bird, not an elegant officer. I say 'elegant' because swans are elegant. However, the description:
his hands locked behind him and his neck upright

makes him seem rigid and self-restrained. Rigid and elegant don't go together. Officers and swans don't go together, either. The result? My mind tries to picture a swan swimming in a pond and an officer at the same time. My mind gets confused, and I fail to picture what you're describing.

He is watching the trees.

In my mind, this is a bad sentence. You are describing what the officer is watching, but not from the officer's perspective. At this point, my mind can no longer picture what is happening in the story.
Also notice the verb: 'is watching.' Nothing happens in this sentence. This sentence doesn't change anything. Therefore, it is boring to the reader.

To fix this sentence, I would make a new paragraph. I would also restructure the previous paragraph to make 'window' the last mentioned word.
For example, consider:
Turning, the officer has his hands locked behind him and his neck upright. He turns back before the window.
Outside, trees... ____ (Then describe the trees).

It's hard to explain. To have the reader "see" through a character's perspective, it's a good idea to alternate between describing the character's actions and describing change in the environment. Don't try to do both at once. It's best if you devote each paragraph to either a character or the setting.

Me still a leaning figure of bones, tense, upon the chair. My face bloodless.

I like this, but this should be a new paragraph. Avoid putting two characters in the same paragraph. It makes it harder for the reader to focus on one specific thing.

More waiting. Reclined waiting.

What was your response? If you want to avoid dialogue, consider something like:
I tell him that I'm feeling fine. I tell him a lie.

It's just an idea.

His hands waving at the doors with their glass panels revealing a spidery day.

Whose hands? Which doors? A spidery day?
One problem here is that you've neglected to tell the readers the setting. Where is this happening?
The result: I can't picture this.

I walk outside. Don’t let us keep you.

I would suggest putting 'Don't let us keep you' in a separate paragraph. Otherwise, you might confuse the reader.

This is where I stop reading. You've lost my interest. I'm bored. Why? Well, I'm bored for several reasons.

1. You never established a conflict. Even though the first few sentences are about someone's son being smashed and their wife being put in custody, you have not established a conflict.
Conflicts are essential, because conflicts result in change. Constant change is what hooks a reader.

2. You use flashback too early in the story. By doing so, you've discarded the previous setting, and thus you have to create a new one. Creating a new setting lowers tension in the story.

3. The flashback fails to hook the reader.

Notice the first sentence of the flashback:
Images passing before his eyes again, drifting in and out like a movie reel clicking round and round in an empty theatre.

Realize that this sentence contains no conflict. It doesn't need to contain conflict, but it does need to progress the story. Without conflict, without a setting, and with the possibility of different characters, you are 'starting from scratch,' so-to-speak. You have discarded all tension previously created in the story.

And for those reasons, I lose interest. That is why I have stopped reading your story.

As for your writing style, I think it's awesome. Very unique. Quite original.
Indeed, I like it.

PM me if you need anything.

As a writer, I'm more interested in what people tell themselves happened rather than what actually happened.
— Kazuo Ishiguro