The Secret of the Costume Room

by BlindingSun

“Ahhhhhh,’ the janitor yawned, mouth wide open. He checked his watch. 8:07 PM.

“Already?” He muttered to himself, “I still have half the school to finish.” He yawned again and rolled his cart and mop to the main hallway between the sixth and eighth grade lockers. Turning on his iPod and humming to the music, he continued to sweep the floor. “A tedious job,” he thought, “but---.” Suddenly, he froze.

“Did I just hear something?” He asked himself. He pushed the “Pause” button on his iPod, Straightening up and not moving a muscle, he slowly turned his head to where the faint sound was coming from. Somehow, he heard music other than his own. His ears twitched. There, he heard it again: the jazzy tune was emanating from inside the choir room!

Creeping towards the choir room door, he peered inside. All was dark except for a thin shaft of light jutting from a half-closed door on the far side of the room. He tiptoed to it and glanced in. At the very first sight, his eyes widened in shock, and his jaw dropped to the ground.

Apparently, the room echoing with the music was the costume room. Strangely, instead of hanging from the rack as they should have been, the clothes were milling about, as if they had bodies and minds of their own. In fact, it looked as though they were partying!

One of them, a Cinderella-like flowing sky-blue dress, gently twirled in the center of the room with her sleeves tucked under a sleek black tuxedo’s. Indistinct mumbling floated out of a nearby elf’s mouth as he placed a wreath of flowers on Blue Dress’ collar. The Crowning of the Best Couple! A loud rattling arose in the room, as the audience cheered and applauded. On a table in the corner sat a radio and an old metronome which Mrs. Good used to steady the tempo of the students’ singing. The DJ, a…a giant tootsie pop? Yes, yes. The purple head of the lollipop bobbed up and down to the beat of the song, while the white stick tap-danced discreetly on the floor.

A booming voice rose above the chatter. The janitor inched closer to the door, craning his neck to see what happened. A fat cow appeared in a corner. She was conversing with a leotard covered in jangling sparkles. Straining to catch each word, the janitor heard, “You know, Leotard, all my years spent here in this school have not been exciting enough. Not many people wear me and it just brings tears to my pitiful eyes. You’re lucky to have such scintillating flashes on you, catching kids’ eyes.”

Leotard responded with a toss of her head, “I know! Ain’t I a pretty one?”

“Oh! You little haughty brat!” A black and white prom dress butted in. “As eye-catching as you are, I’ve certainly been more popular than you! I remember one time, when a beautiful brunette girl wore me. She was the leading voice of the school choir. Oh! She sang like a nightingale. I burst with pride for having her wear me. Can you think of any time that someone special wore you?”

At her side stood a green elf, who hopped from foot to foot. A string of words fell out of his mouth, making him difficult to understand, “I have been worn several times, too! Yessiree! Yessiree! There were these twins, a boy and a girl, who wore me and my brother over there by the Best Couple. They danced wonderfully! I do need to ask Mrs. Good where she gets her choreographing.”

Cow turned away, abashed by how few times she was worn.

Johann Strauss’ Blue Danube waltz drifted out of the radio speakers. All the costumes scrambled to find a partner. A wedding dress spun around with Tuxedo #1. Blue Dress pranced by, in the arms of Tuxedo #2, while Leotard watched at the sidelines, waiting to be escorted by Tuxedo #3.

The janitor stayed at the door, gawked at the spectacle. The clock ticked, and hours passed by. When the clock struck six o’clock in the morning, all sounds halted. As if in a trance, the clothes flitted back to their positions on the racks. In less than five minutes, the costume room looked as it had before, like nothing had happened the past ten hours.

The lights of the school building flicked on. The janitor rushed to the front doors. Already, students were filing in. He grabbed the sleeves of a few of them and whispered urgently, “The clothes .. in the choir room! They came alive! They danced, they talked, and they … “ The children laughed and dismissed him with a wave of their hands. “I saw with my two eyes…” Stepping aside, he rambled on.

Back at the choir room though, a few kids tentatively entered the costume room. Cautiously, they pulled at the Blue Dress’ sleeves. The clothes, however, remained still.

midnightdreary says...

Aw man, I totally loved this story! It's so original! It was cute to think about costumes dancing around a room and gloating to each other! Thanks for posting this!

midnightdreary says...

jesxangel wrote a review...

Hi! I'm kinda new to YWS, like you, but I'll review this to the best of my ability!

Before we start, I want to say one thing. Fan-freaking-tastic! The idea is original and the way you portrayed the characters were amazing. I also really enjoyed the ending - though there could be a little more detail.

CateRose has mentioned most of the errors here, and overall, this was a magnificent piece of work.

BlindingSun says...

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you so much for reviewing my piece. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:51 am
AmeliaGryffin wrote a review...

Hiya! Amelia here for a review.

Firstly, I want to say that I really enjoyed reading this short! The idea itself is very original and quirky, and when I saw the title and description of it I was immediately interested.

I really enjoyed the ending of the story, specifically the last few sentences : 'Back at the choir room though, a few kids tentatively entered the costume room. Cautiously, they pulled at the Blue Dress’ sleeves. The clothes, however, remained still.'
I thought this was a great way of ending a magical story, by making some of the children start to believe in the magic of the costume room. (Does that make sense?)

Overall this was very well written, but there were a few tiny errors. I believe CateRose17 has already pointed these out however, and it would be no use to you if I was just to repeat them.

I loved reading this fantastic story, thank you very much for writing it! That concludes my short review xx

BlindingSun says...

I sincerely thank you for your comments! (Whoa, that sounded way too formal)

PrincessInk wrote a review...

Hiya BlindingSun, and welcome to YWS! Fun story you have here. I'm kind of guessing your POV is omniscient, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I agree with CateRose that the ending was great! Like I said before, this was fun to read and I don't have too much "I'm bored"-issues here. I love these kinds of stories.

The question I want to ask...what can you, or the reader, take away from this story? This doesn't have to be preachy or anything but I'd like to know how has the janitor changed? This isn't a typical story with rising action. I don't see too much of a conflict here--but don't take it the wrong way! I don't mind the fact that there isn't any. There's no need to weave in any big "plot" events and all, but this is just food for thought for you, as a writer.

The ending felt a little rushed. Perhaps you could hide some little hints here and there about the kids who ran over to check. Like the ones who had a "little sparkle in their eye" but also dismissed him. Foreshadowing can often have story events make sense, if you were observant enough to notice!

Others:

The beginning wasn't that interesting actually...would you be interested if you opened a story to page one and read about a sleepy character? :)

Apparently, the room echoing with the music was the costume room. Strangely, instead of hanging from the rack as they should have been, the clothes were milling about, as if they had bodies and minds of their own.

Is it a good idea to start two consecutive sentences with adverbs?

But other than what I pointed out above, your story is fantastic. I hope you have a great day and thanks a lot for sharing this!

~Princess Ink~

CateRose17 wrote a review...

Whoaaaa. This was something I have most certainly never seen before in my life. I loved it! It was sooooo original. How the heck did you come up with this? I loved the last line most of all: "Back at the choir room though, a few kids tentatively entered the costume room. Cautiously, they pulled at the Blue Dress' sleeves. The clothes, however, remained still."

It was almost comedic. I laughed and found this whole piece quite enjoyable. The little dancing thing was sooo cute.

A few things though.

1."The janitor stayed at the door, gawked at the spectacle." Just a small grammatical error. You could either say "The janitor staying at the door, gawked..."
or: " The janitor stayed at the door, gawking." An easy peasy fix.

2. "At the very first sight, his eyes widened in shock, and his jaw dropped to the ground."
This is good, but the comma after 'shock' sort of disrupts the flow.

3. whenever the nice janitor thinks to him, you need to use the italics to put thoughts in. When you use " " for thoughts, it makes it look like he's talking to someone else. It may confuse some readers.

I think I covered everything I saw. I really liked this idea, it reminds me of "Alice in Wonderland". It was quirky and colorful and funny and beautiful. I love it. Keep it up!

issam says...

Boooring! couldn't even get past the first couple of paragraphs. This is by no means major literature. Anyone can write this.

SugarApple says...

Excuse me, but it's not like she's bragging that she's writing major literature here. This is BlindingSun's first story, and she's trying to improve by being on this site. Perhaps anyone could write this, but she's the one who got the idea and wrote it first. Please don't discourage her, try to help her if you really think it's so, "Boooring".
Thanks, SugarApple

CateRose17 says...

I agree @SugarApple. BlindingSun is on here to show what she can do and LEARN from other people. Not be discouraged. Be honest, yes, Issam, but not destructive. You may not like the way she wrote it, but some people might have. I know I did. We are on this site to become the best writers we can be, but with comments like that, how are we supposed to learn? Thanks, CateRose.

BlindingSun says...

Thank you for the support, SugarApple and CateRose! I'm glad SOME people enjoyed my story. And, Issam, as the SugarApple and CateRose said, I'm here not just for the sake of showing off my work, but to improve. Thank you for your comment, although I really wish you were not so negative about it.

A woman knows the face of the man she loves as a sailor knows the open sea.
— Honore de Balzac