RE:Generation 0 book 1: New beginnings

by Blank89

“Mateo, please stop it!!” The boy with sand color hair said.

Mateo took off his burgundy hood fully showing his black spiky hair. He kicked sand into the boys eyes and the crowd of other 11 year old boys laughed.

“Get up loser!”

“Please, stop!”

Mateo chuckled but It was short lived when he noticed “scarlet” irises staring at him. He scowled “What do you want Valentine?”

She helped the boy up and glared at Mateo “Honestly don’t you have something better to do?! Like go to school!”

Mateo glowered “You know I can’t afford that school for the rich!”

“I offered to pay for you!”

“Just leave me alone!”

Mateo flipped his hood back on his head and walked away. Valentine sighed and took a bandage out of her small red purse to put on the slightly beat up kid. “Sorry for...him” She mumbled while she was applying it. “

He looked at her white dress and her bright red jacket then she finished and was giving him a smile that was small but it was there. He turned as red tomato and could barely get a word out “I..it’s fine, thanks..” She smiled at him one last time before getting up and walking the opposite direction Mateo walked.

~5 years later~

Mateo would scale up a building with ease before dropping a duffel bag on the rooftop and breathing hard. He started feeling a sharp burning pain in his arm so he checked his burgundy jacket sleeve and there would be a hole the size of a bullet. “I didn’t even feel it at first what the hell.”

He frowned and opened the duffel bag filled with cash, maybe about 3,000 dollars.

He smirked when he heard police sirens pass the building and the smirk grew when it got further and further he knew he fooled the cops once again.

He zipped up his black duffle and turned around but saw menacing Scarlet irises staring at him. “Mateo you never learn do you?...you just got out of juvie.” She looked directly at his Golden irises

Mateo scowled “Jeez Red you act like you’re some kind of superhero!” He hissed

“I’m not but someone needs to stop people like you!” She snapped

“Mateo just come to the academy I’ll pay for everything I really don't want to keep arresting you.”

“How many times do I have to tell you Red I’m not going to that dumb school it’s for kids with magical abilities I obviously dont have that.”

She rolled her eyes

Bullcrap always spews out his mouth!

“Can you explain how you can scale up buildings like this with ease?”

“Practice…”

She gave him an irritated look and just before she could lecture him about what the school could do for him she noticed blood dripping down his hand then her scarlet irises glanced at the bullet size hole in his jacket. “Mateo, when did you get shot?!” She opened up her side bag and pulled out a medkit.

“I’m going to need you to take off your jacket” She opened it up and there would be many different small bottles and bandage wraps in it. Mateo would be too weak and tired to fight her due to his large amount of blood loss, so he reluctantly took it off revealing his stained blood white shirt.

Mateo sat down and rested his chin on his hand. She grabbed his arm gently and started to put alcohol on cotton balls to clean the wound. She was gentle and she moved slowly...it hurt like hell but...wait what am I thinking?!

“Mateo you know i just want you to get out of these streets right?” She started applying the bandages.

Her fingers are so soft and warm...wait Mateo stop!

“Yeah I know...Red” 

She gave him a slight smirk, he felt his chest tighten and it got tighter the more she carefully applied those bandages.

“And why do you insist on calling me that stupid name?”

Tighter…

His lips curled, “Awww I thought you liked it.”

She chuckled lightly

Tighter…

She rested the bandages on her white jeans before putting them back in her medkit and slipping it back in her side bag. “Mateo...just think about it alright?”

“Fi-“ before he could finish, she was already gone along with the black duffle bag and Mateo scowled.

“Damn it, I thought she forgot about it!” He put his burgundy jacket back on and put his hood up. There would be a paper sticking out of his pocket that read “Enroll now to WestOak Academy, must participate in the magic assessment test 10/22/19!” He looked at it and sighed.

~Next Day~

Mateo woke up on a dirty broken mattress in a dark alley. I really need to get my life straight… He stood up and immediately smelled something rancid God what the hell is that?! I..is that me?! He sniffed his Jacket and he went pale Yep that's me…

Valentine woke up in her dorm and messed with her Scarlet hair. “The magic assessment test is today, I wonder if Mateo is gonna actually listen to me for once and go.” A girl with Snow white hair and brown eyes walked out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around her body and hair “Valentine are you going to watch the freshmen this year at the M.A.T with Caleb?”

She sighed and rolled her Eyes, “I told you Bev Caleb isn’t my type.

“Aww come on V! Caleb is cute and totally has a crush on you”

Beverly gave her a mischievous look and a sly smirk “Or...do you like that kid Matt I think his name was.”

“Y..you mean Mateo, how do you even know who he is?” And why would I ever like him…?

Beverly got dressed and before walking out still had that sly smirk “See you at the M.A.T V!”

Valentine sighed and got ready

~A few hours later~

Students!!! Welcome to the 115th Magical Assessment Test!!! Where other magic users like you put their skills to the test to see if they can get into WestOak academy!! Students would be cheering and screaming, possibly because they get out of class but who knows. They would be located in a stadium with a small portal in the center getting bigger and bigger as time went by.

“V!! This is so exciting I can’t wait to see new abilities!! Beverly exclaimed, She had on a yellow flower dress and her Snowwhite hair tied in a bun. She’s always loved all types of magic and testing them out for herself “Yeah I guess but this test is very extreme out of the hundreds that enter only 20-40 kids get in.”

Now introducing the contestants! Up first, John Houston his magical ability is water creation!!

The announcer kept calling names but no Mateo...I can’t believe he didn’t come!

Valentine frowned and sat back in her seat and crossed her arms “He’s such an idiot!”

“Who’s an Idiot V?”

She looked at Beverly and shook her head.

And our final contestant, #200 odd his last name and his magical ability isn’t on here well...welcome Mateo!!

Her eyes were big and her mouth dropped “h..he actually did it..” Mateo was shown on a big screen glowering with his burgundy hoodie and looked like he was just gonna straight up leave.

This challenge tests you on 3 main skills: Intelligence! Teamwork! And your actual magic ability! The highest score you can get in total is 300 and the most you need to pass is 200! Now on 3 you will walk into the portal and the test starts!

Come on Mateo...you got this! Just don’t be a jerk to your teammates

1!

2!

3!

The contestants ran in the portal and were transported to a dark forest, everyone teamed up and ran off in seperate ways except Mateo. Of Course, I can’t believe I actually listened to Red..

He started to walk in one direction and looked around.

Now students if you pull out your phones and go on the OakWood app you can actually spectate a certain person of your choosing!

Valentine immediately went to spectate Mateo. Just as I thought he had no Idea what to do.

A boy with hair the color of sand and sapphire eyes sat next to them. “Hey Valentine and Beverly!” Beverly blushed and waved and Valentine was too sucked in watching Mateo to notice him.

Mateo would still be walking around for a couple more minutes before tripping on a “vine” and almost fell on his face but kept his balance.

“Hey what the hell!?” He shouted, a giant crack in the ground started to form in front of him before separating and pure blackish purple monsters started to crawl out of the ground and went separate directions.

Crud…

She looked at the amount of points he had still ignoring the blue eyed boy Mateo: 0,0,0 points!

Damn it Mateo, do something!

“How do I cross this, think...think...I got it!” He started to tie vines together then around his waist and attached the makeshift rope to a tree.

Intelligence points: 20!

He swung to the other side and broke the vine rope before walking around again looking for...who knows what?! He saw 4 other contestants staring at a temple trying to figure out how to enter it.

A loud roar then a scream in the distance!

He gulped and walked up to them “Hey do you guys need some help?

They glanced at him scoffed then looked away

Did they just ignore me?...Fine screw them!

He walked past them ignoring their dirty looks and felt a wall on this temple before smirking at it and slamming his fist into it revealing a door.

“W..wait what?!”

“How?!”

Your welcome, you idiots...

He gave them a sharp look with a frown before walking in. They followed him and they looked pretty anxious. Ugh...they keep talking can they shut up?! The announcer dude said I get points for magic but I don’t know anything...I’m doing this for no reason then! The more he thought about the more his frown grew.

“Watch out!!” A guy with blonde hair pulled Mateo back before he walked straight into a massive hole.

“Thanks.” He muttered before removing his arm from the blondie’s grip and looking down the hole. He saw a pool of lava and his eyes widened.

Crud, how did I not see that?!

He sighed before carefully walking around the giant hole, the others did the same.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

They stopped dead in their tracks and tensed up. Mateo slowly turned around and his mouth dropped.

Roarrrrrrr!!!!!

Giant black claws would slam into the floor of the temple and the head of the beast that looked like a bear but more primal slowly rose up and glared directly at them.

Valentine was gripping her phone so tightly she might crush it. “I..it’s the GordBeast!” Mateo just needs to run and he’ll be fi- ARE THEY FIGHTING IT??

They would be attempting to fight it but were getting absolutely for a lack of better words, smacked by the “GordBeast”.

Two people would already be knocked and have giant claw marks imprinted on the sides of their body with blood running out of it.

After a while another person went down and it was just blondie and Mateo. Crud, crud, crud! What do I do?! People are dying!! I thought this was just a test!! Oh god!! I..I have to get out of here or i'm gonna-

His frantic thoughts were cut off by the blondie hesitantly pulling out a bow that looked like it was made of ice and other crystals out of thin cold air.

He drew it but wasn’t taking the shot, Why? Just shoot that thing so we have time to run! Why is he not…

He noticed the blondie was shaking and had tears in his eyes. Now Mateo’s situation was being broadcasted for the whole school to see most of his “group” was down. The blondie was crying in full tears now and Mateo with blood dripping down his forehead down to his nose.

Boom!

Boom!

Boom!

The GordBeast’s steps got louder and louder as it got closer to Mateo and blondie. Mateo why are you not moving?! Damn it! Why did I force him to do this? I should’ve known he wasn't ready!!

Shrink….Crack!!

All of a sudden, The ground under the GordBeast cracked and it fell through. Thud! The Broadcast finally showed Mateo and he had the crystal bow in his hand breathing hard he dropped it and started to pick up the other bodies he hoped were still alive.

Blondie looked appalled and couldn’t believe what had just occurred. “H..he.”

Mateo: 100 Int,100 Tmw,50 mag

Valentine’s rose colored irises shined in joy, and she jumped up with glee. “ He passed! He passed!”

Caleb looked at her with confused eyes, “Who passed V?”

“Mateo! He actually did it!!” she sat back down and regained her usual cool composure.

Caleb frowned “M..mateo, actually passed?!” Beverly snickered “ Yeah and she has like a huge crush on him. Valentine’s face got a bit red “ I..I do not like Mateo!! He’s just a friend!” Beverly chuckled “ Whatever you say V.”

Valentine rolled her eyes and looked back at her phone since Mateo was no longer being broadcasted across the school. Now all he has to do is get past this forest and he’s in officially!

1 hour later

The stadium full of WestOak students would be silent since none of the participants have come out yet. You could hear quiet mutters here and there but that’s all “Is this normal?”

“What’s happening?”

Valentine would have pure panic on her face watching Mateo, she was anxious but still attentively watching blocking out everyone and everything else.

Mateo looked beat up with blood dripping down his face, cut’s everywhere including his favorite burgundy jacket. He was carrying two bodies while blondie who was also beat up and had a really bad cut on his neck was carrying one body.

His usual golden Irises looked dim and more pale as he slowed down as time went on. He saw a bright light in the distance and started to speed up. Blondie must’ve seen the same thing because he sped up as well.

Mateo started to give a weak smile as the thoughts of this horrible “test” being over filled his mind completely.

“Mateo..”

“Mateo..”

“Mateo watch out!”

Blondie pushed him out of the way of a giant beam of darkness heading for them!

“W..what?!” Mateo looked defeated when he saw 4 people struggling hard against a giant dragon with ghost white scales and a purple crest forming a star on its chest. It looked like it was guarding a door and Mateo knew that it was the exit. “T..the exit!” he shouted but he was so weak it sounded like his regular speaking voice. Blondie was knocked out...hopefully and 2 of the participants fighting that beast went down

Then 3…

Then 4…

They joined the other 25 bodies that were out completely. The dragon stared at Mateo and gave a slight smile before opening its mouth wide and seemed to be charging a powerful beam. He would be on his knees staring directly at it and didn’t move a muscle.

Valentine looked at the broadcast and then back down at her phone her ruby irises became darker and she put her head in her eyes. She couldn’t bear to see what was about to come Caleb and Beverly tried comforting her

“It’s ok V...some people are just not ready for this…” Caleb mumbled.

Somehow Mateo must’ve heard this or felt Valentine’s sadness because he stood up and glared at the dragon, something must be burning in his heart!! “ I’m not going down like this!!! I didn’t come here just to lose to some dumbass dragon!! He gritted his teeth and ripped off his jacket revealing a surprisingly lean muscular body.

The dragon didn’t seem to care as he fired a large purple beam at Mateo shooting across the whole forest all of a sudden, the beam stopped instantly and he stood there with a long white sword with sharp jagged spikes that resembled the spine of a dragon on one side in his hand.

Valentine looked up and her face became as red as a fire engine when she saw Mateo, Beverly would already be looking up her face was also red. “ Damn V...lucky.”

Valentine ignored her and kept looking at Mateo’s uh body...but soon snapped out of it when she saw his unique sword.

Caleb’s mouth dropped and you could feel the shock in the stadium going through everyone.

Mateo looked up at the dragon with and seemed to pierce it’s soul with his amethyst colored eyes. The dragon stepped back before charging another beam but Mateo wasn’t having any of that he took a step and in a flash was instantly in front of it.

He smirked….

He slashed at the dragon...

BOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

It made a gigantic explosion obliterating the dragon completely, destroying the exit door, it also caused some extreme winds to go through the stadium blowing back some students!!

Valentine, Caleb, Beverly, and every student in the stadium, every student watching couldn’t believe several things he one shotted a dragon!, He has a badass sword!, He broke the scoring system and got a score of 1,000!!, and he’s the only one who passed!

He stepped through the now hole instead of door and collapsed.

ACT 0 COMPLETE 

Tenyo wrote a review...

Hey Blank89

Snazzy title =] It's clever.

He frowned and opened the duffel bag filled with cash, maybe about 3,000 dollars. This line got me. I love it.

In general, mini-segments of childhood interactions before time skipping ahead are great! They're such a good way to build character simply by showing the before and after snapshots. The difference between Mateo as this emotionally troubled kid and Mateo getting shot at whilst carrying a huge bag full of cash is quite impactful.

I struggled to understand the Magical Assessment Test. It felt more like a gladiator show than an assessment. It gives me the impression that WestOak acadamy is something quite savage if that's what the students have to go through to get in. Mateo's character comes out really well, that desire to do good plagued by his violent nature seems to make him the perfect candidate for this type of assessment, but at the same time it's hard to imagine a character like Valentine would have been able to make it through something that vigarous to get in, or survive in a place where that is the minimum requirement for achievement.

Overall I think this is a great start to a novel. The characters come across really well and the purpose and action is almost immediate. Whilst the assessment is aesthetically very grand, it does feel somewhat out of place in the setting.

DarthUbera wrote a review...

Interesting, if I were u I'd go into Mateo's thoughts a little more. But thats just me.
Definetly some great strong ideas here you care for your characters and that shows.
My advice is polish the writing a little bit, its hard to specify how, I'm not the best at it myself but just read outloud your writing and change what you wrote to how you say it outloud

Chickens are honestly little dinosaurs. And they know it.
— ChieRynn