​​​Second Always Comes Last Preveiw: Sir

by Blackwood

Second Always Comes Last:

Preview:

(Chapter 1: Sir)

____________________________

'If you want to live, you have to make something happen.' That’s what our history teacher had always told us. Back then we never gave it a second thought, nor took it as literally as he meant it. We were six boys, scattered around various seating in his text plastered classroom. We had nothing to do with one another, and he had nothing to do with any of us; and he had certainly not been the first mass of splattered guts on our hands.

He had been an intriguing man; there was simply something about him that made you latch onto his face as he spoke. It was an entirely unique face. Not a simple face, but so different you could never call it ugly. His cheekbones were so far pronounced that his eyes seemed pressed narrow, and his face hollow and wide at the same time. His thick hair was always tousled neatly, and his lips were large and rectangular, yet so agile. His words would just melt around you, building a kingdom of fascination as he spoke about the past and about the people who sat behind the causes of all sorts of events. It made you just want to listen and listen and listen. Never study, never write. Just simply learn.

Fourteen years old, the second year of high-school. We were obnoxious, we were rowdy, we were boys. But we had some sense of distinction, and most importantly, the satisfaction the class received when Sir told us we were his favourite class to teach. The seniors were too stuck up on their exams, and the first years were too timid. Those were his words. Us? We were perfect specimen for knowledge absorption. We were the dancing colours of his aquarium inside out. But to us, he had simply been Sir.

He had danced upon our hands in a flurry of freedom. That neck and heart who always spoke and loved and moaned at the glorious past of gore and wit had sprayed our lips with the taste of iron. And the gentle white canvas on his chest had become a gaping artwork; full and round and so miraculous it could be displayed upon the walls of a gallery. But only us six were to ever witness it’s secrets. Only us and the coroner, and the snapping clicks of Sir’s own camera; biting at the hungry feast before it.

___

Sir had looked exceptionally young that day. He was only in his thirties either way, but when he had taken off the grey blazer to expose only a plain white shirt without the usual tie, he resembled one of us. The wind had taken his hair, and his warm cheeks had been wet with the sweat of excitement.

He had said his most important words to date. Words that we all had at first resented, but had then come to worship. Words that built upon the lesson he had been preaching to the class ever since the beginning of the year; a lesson subtle enough only those who knew what to look for could pinpoint.

Fear. It’s the only thing that holds us back. Not fear for our lives, not fear for love. But simply the fear of society. The fear to act. The fear that if you do act, there is no going back. But that within itself is what is holding us back. There was only his solution. Sir’s words had been a beacon; and inspiration. Sir had painted us all red with the blood of passion.

‘If you smear blood on your hands. If you watch death face to face, then you know you have witnessed the only thing there is to fear. You will know that nothing else truly matters, because after death there is no more to matter.’

We had been lined up on the side of the rail tracks, jackets off, collars loose. A gang of young teenage boys, looking for trouble and looking for action. And although we heard what our most respectable teacher was saying, we were sceptical.

‘I’m giving you a gift.’ He had continued, the light catching off those cheekbones oh so magnificently, creating a shadow that cut beneath his bones and made his face look simply heroic. ‘I am giving you a licence to act. I will make something happen, and in exchange, you will all make something as vast as you possibly can happen.’

Six of us had watched in awe. Six of us had wept in the horror. Six of us had danced in the remains.

I had never taken Sir as suicidal.

[If you want to be tagged for the next one please leave your name on my wall]

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:36 am
Vervain wrote a review...

Let's jump right in. I haven't read the other reviews, just so you know, so I might repeat them.

To begin with the good - I think, in a way, this is a brilliant hook. It leaves questions to be answered, but it gives you just enough that you want to ask the questions, and you want to know the answers. At this point in the story, it's very light as far as horror goes (I mean, we're not talking a snuff film here or anything), but it seems to have quite a bit of story. I also very much am in love with the imagery you use.

However, your prose is very 'blocky', as a way to put it. It has a tendency of going off on tangents or describing things in one big block of text, instead of scattering information throughout the story. This can be done well - I think it works in your favor when you're describing people, and your description of Sir is very fluid - and it can be done... not so well - which is where I think it falls when you go off in the fourth paragraph, when the text becomes a little strange and the reader begins to lose focus. You have a tendency to cover everything all at once, which is very much not a bad thing, but as a technique, I personally as a reader find it a little lacking.

Also - do teenage boys really talk like this? Okay, yeah, I can get it if it's just the one exception, that kid that always talks like a flowery poet and has the words to describe it. I just hope this doesn't spread throughout, because it's not the greatest way to communicate your ideas. It kind of blunts what little horror you have in this part, which makes me concerned as the piece goes on as to how much it will blunt the actual horror when you're trying to describe it. Flowery can work, the same as blocky, but often it takes away because the reader is too ensnared in the words to say "yes, hmm, I should very well be afraid now". Right now, it's enhancing your images to an almost purple level in their intricacy, which is another factor in the "do teenagers really talk like this" kind of thing, considering most teenage guys I know wouldn't stop to spout things like "the dancing colors of his aquarium inside out". Then again, maybe I just don't know the right teenage boys.

I think that once the issue with the style is settled - once I've read more and seen if it settles - then I'd be able to give more solid advice on how to begin and improve this. Still, I think it's pretty interesting, even though my preferred style of horror is definitely drier than this. I'll keep reading.

Blackwood says...

It's not really horror. It's a psychological. I need to change that header. It went in a different direction than when I first intended.

Blackwood says...

PS. Strangelove is generously funding the bet.

Vervain says...

Mmkay. I'll still keep reading. (And how very... generous.)

Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:18 am
Pompadour says...

Dang it--I can't review this. >.> It reads like a published work.

Going on for more ...

Blackwood says...

Haha, so you have already read it. Less work for you now.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:30 pm
JayeCShore wrote a review...

Hi, J.C. here for a review!

Okay, I'm pretty dang positive that I've read this before, which would make sense, but that was when I was AE, so, a long time ago.

And I must say, exalted crap! Okay, I'm going to turn you and your writing into a demi-god for a little bit, and then brag about myself along the way. You see, this is the sort of writing that is going to change the course of history, shake the foundations of the world. And I'm not joking. I've spent years and hundreds of hours analyzing the trends of history and such, and I really feel and believe that the time is soon coming when writing like this, writing which takes emotion, feeling, thought and wonder to a level which it never has been to before, will make all the difference. Will be the difference.

People like you, and I, and many others, are the ones who are doing this.

So now, I'll jump right into this chapter. And just to let you know, I had to read the next four before I could even bring myself to stop and come back to write the review.

We had nothing to do with one another, and he had nothing to do with any of us; and he had certainly not been the first mass of splattered guts on our hands.

Opening the book with this sort of line is gutsy, no pun intended. It tells the reader that they are in store for something epic, and after reading the first five chapters, I was not disappointed.

His words would just melt around you, building a kingdom of fascination as he spoke about the past and about the people who sat behind the causes of all sorts of events. It made you just want to listen and listen and listen. Never study, never write. Just simply learn.

I absolutely love the way you explain things. It's more than painting with words, because it does more than just paint pictures in my mind. Honestly, it almost forces you to sense and to feel. I have to pride myself on being good at this, but then, I'm always amazed when I read writing like this, because it's just so unique. You say things I never would have thought to say, and that's what's going to make your writing last, when most others' just dies away.

One nitpick, though. You use "he" and "his" a lot while doing this explanation of what Sir looks and feels like. It gets kind of boring and redundant after a few sentences. "He is this. He is this. He is this." After awhile, we just know. "Thick hair, always tousled neatly, and large, rectangular lips, yet so agile." Simply taking out the "he's" and "his's" and changing the wording a bit will drastically improve the flow.

Those were his words. Us? We were perfect specimen for knowledge absorption. We were the dancing colours of his aquarium inside out. But to us, he had simply been Sir.

A lot of people try to find the "symbolism" in writing, but there's no symbolism to interpret here. I mean, you can always find something, but you just come out and say it, without actually saying it. Gosh, it's hard to explain, but I think you understand because you're the writer. Too many writers try to be all "hoity toity" with their writing, to impress, but the simplistic way you weave complex words and concepts leaves nothing to be interpreted. It's just life, in the raw, framed up really, really well.

Fear. It’s the only thing that holds us back. Not fear for our lives, not fear for love. But simply the fear of society. The fear to act. The fear that if you do act, there is no going back.

While reading this, I was afraid you were going to say something like, "The only thing to fear, is fear itself." I mean, come on, how cliche and dumb is that. But you didn't, and you went on to explain the essence, or at least one, of fear and anxiety. And you've done an amazing job at keeping the view as a young school boy, and not exalting it to some grand knowledge master. I've always hated it when people do that with their characters.

There was only his solution. Sir’s words had been a beacon; and inspiration. Sir had painted us all red with the blood of passion.

Okay, this dude teaches history. History. Right? These lines change all of that, explaining the truth about teaching and learning. I just wish that teachers of today could and would take their job to this level. Inspire the kids to learn, to understand, and to ultimately become something. Now, it's sit down, shut up, and listen while I spout random facts about random things.

‘I am giving you a licence to act. I will make something happen, and in exchange, you will all make something as vast as you possibly can happen.’

I had never taken Sir as suicidal.

These lines are amazing! I honestly do not know what to think or say about them. There are so few words, and so many things to gain and assume from them. I don't think I will be able to truly understand until I read the whole book, so I won't try right now.

And, I'm at the end of the review.

Of course, there were some things that need to be edited out, mainly grammatical mistakes, but in light of how amazing this chapter is, those points, which usually control my thoughts and nag at me until I voice them, didn't even bother me. This is incredible. I usually don't love something this much, but this, this is worth it!

Thank you Blackwood!

#D65F54 ">- JC -

Blackwood says...

You sure know how to flatter. The writing quality unfortunatly becomes less crafted and more pushing the story along, so I hope it doesn't put you off.

megsug wrote a review...

Whoa, I'm actually here reading things that I said I would... Unheard of. It's a little depressing to see how far behind I am, but I'll catch up eventually, I suppose.

I've skimmed through the other reviews, from the content, I don't think I'll be repeating much unless it has something to do with "Oh, Blackie, that was the most professional thing I've read on this site", but if I do, I apologize.

I'm afraid this is a nitpick review, and the nitpicks are sparse.

The seniors were too stuck up on their exams

We were perfect specimen for knowledge

Something is missing here. A the or an a or maybe an s on specimen. I'm not really sure though.

We were perfect specimen for knowledge absorption. We were the dancing colours of his aquarium inside out. But to us, he had simply been Sir.

Um... How is his name at all related to what was just being spoken about? It's a strange pairing.

I love it. It's the best thing I've read on here in quite a while. Oh look I'm repeating things. That last line is my favorite. I don't want to say too much. That ego of yours is big already ;) I honestly have nothing more to say except I wish I'd started sooner XD

After I watch this thunderstorm on my porch, I'll be back to read the next part. I plan to at least comment on each one. :3

See ya,
Megs~

megsug says...

:o That got 100 points. I'm really kinda shocked right now.

Thu May 22, 2014 2:31 am

So, apparently I never reviewed this, even though I thought I did.

My only problem with this chapter is your almost constant use of past perfect tense. That is, all the "I had done this, Sir had told us that." There are a couple reasons not to use it:

1. It's jarring. The standard and generally correct tense to use if using past tense is simple past tense. That is, "I did this, Sir told us that." Because simple past tense is commonly used in fiction in English, readers are used to it and won't give the tense a thought, whereas while reading this I kept getting bumped out of the story by repeated use of "had."

2. Past perfect tense has a specific use that renders it unnecessary here. While simple past tense is used to describe something that has already happened, past perfect tense is used to describe an action that happened before another action that is being described.

So, if the narrator wants us to know that the boys "wept in horror" upon Sir's death, he would say, "Six of us wept in horror." Whereas if the narrator wants us to know that the boys were still weeping in horror when, say, the paramedics arrived, he might say something like, "The six of us had not yet finished weeping in horror when the paramedics arrived."

And the thing is, while the bulk of this chapter describes actions that occur prior to Sir's death, which might make you think you want to use past perfect tense, you actually don't need it because the chapter leads up to and ends with that very event. Past perfect tense would be more appropriate if you told us right at the beginning that Sir killed himself--i.e., "He had been an intriguing man until his suicide," although even that could be simplified ("he was an intriguing man until his suicide"), and anyway it gives away a major spoiler.

Here's an example of where past perfect tense is applicable, from my novel (sorry for being vaguely narcissistic, but I needed an example and I'm too lazy to come up with a new one right now):

The Book House had been a point of interest and favorite topic of discussion amongst the locals since its completion nearly six years ago.

See? Because of the "since its completion..." i.e., Six years ago the Book House became a favorite topic of discussion and has been so since then.

3. It slows down the action. Simple past tense is concise and exciting; past perfect almost sounds like passive voice (which you want to avoid as much as possible). Which sounds better? (Sorry again, because this is another Narcissistic Example for the same reason of Laziness.)

a)
"You seen it yet?" the trash-collector asked one Thursday night.

b)
"You seen it yet?" the trash-collector had asked one Thursday night.

It may not seem like much--one little word, how much difference could it make? But the truth is that using it when it's unnecessary (especially often) adds a dull word to an otherwise intriguing sentence (albeit not my most intriguing). And editors and agents will use it as an excuse to reject a book, because the book isn't tight or grammatically sound enough to bother with.

Most of the sentences in which you use "had" can be simplified to simple past tense. For more help with verb tenses, if you'd like it, check out this handy tense chart.

Really sorry that I finally leave you a long review and it's all about tense, but if it makes you feel better that was my only major issue with this chapter.

Blue

Blackwood says...

Sorry, but the tense was done on purpose. It differentiates between the double past and the present. I know perfectly well how to use tense and it changes throughout the whole story when the narrator is reminiscing on the past scenes. It was not an issue.

Blackwood says...

Eh I just noticed that this chapter is slightly different from the other ones. They change between, sorry.

Tue May 20, 2014 6:44 am
Elinor565 wrote a review...

Hey, Elinor here.
Well, this certainly was rather strange. Teachers committing suicide? Well done! Gory but God is this original.
As usual, I analysed the first sentence, and I'd say it is interesting enough.
What I really liked here was the writing style. It seemed so ... classic! I use 'classic' here for a lack of a better word. Educated, maybe. It flowed very pleasantly and consistently. It's rather different from other works here in YWS.

Mon May 19, 2014 10:48 am
Renard wrote a review...

Heyyyy

So. I told you some of my thoughts about this when I first read it; and I stand by my original observation that is is very blunt. Especially the ending: 'I had never taken Sir as suicidal.'
I think you have a unique writing style, as I have seen from some of your previous works. :)

You have a segment of thought here which works really well: '‘If you smear blood on your hands. If you watch death face to face, then you know you have witnessed the only thing there is to fear. You will know that nothing else truly matters, because after death there is no more to matter.’' I like this, also because the way you've used language makes it a bit more horrific. Obviously, at this stage, you are just beginning the elements of the work, but it's working well.

Improvements: I guess there could be dialogue, make it feel more story like, but at the same time, this is part of the appeal of your writing in this case. So... I can't criticise that too heavily. Good job.

Off to read more.

Thu May 08, 2014 6:19 am
Neversaynever wrote a review...

Woah. This is really quite good, and I'm not lying. It certainly gave me something to think about. I wouldn't say that I found it horrifying, but it give off a mysterious atmosphere in the ending. I like the process from start, the middle and the ending. It really made me read on, and I will.

Personally, I like your descriptions and style of writing. Bravo, it was awesome. It almost felt like I was reading a published book.

Anyway, the Main character spoke realistic enough, and I like the things Sir had said to them.

Nothing was bad. It was actually awesome. I look forward to more chapters, if there are any left.

Blackwood says...

Yeah there are. I'm not going to post them until the cost goes down though.

Thu May 08, 2014 1:37 am
Starleene wrote a review...

Whoa.

Can that be my review? Just whoa.

That was so beautifully written! I've read a lot of works on here, some good some bad but not many as well written as this. I don't think I can put into words how wonderful this was to read, even the gore. Actually, I think the gory parts were the most beautiful. Are there going to be more chapters? If yes, let me know! I want to read them.
Seriously, if there were any mistakes I was to enamored to catch them.

I wish I could give you a better review but honestly, this was so well written I don't even have any nitpicks.
When the next chapters come out, let me know!

Keep on keeping on (You better)

Much love,

Star!

Blackwood says...

Yes, there will be more. I'm thinking about writing one right now. And maybe you should just leave it as a comment if it can't be a review. XD

Why can't I put the entire Bee Movie in the quote generator? Would you prefer if I put in the Shrek script instead?
— CaptainJack