Second Always Comes Last: Chen [Null]

by Blackwood

Second Always Comes Last

Chen

______________________

I met Shane on the tracks. He only spoke to me because Daniel wasn’t there.

I don’t understand what about me is so despicable. So detestable? If it is true then why am I never told it? Why have I never been spat in the face these very words? I would prefer it that way. That truth.

Perhaps I am not hated. I haven’t given anyone the reason to do so. But even then, I am most often overpassed. Overlooked. Purposely.

Shane talked to me that day because Daniel wasn’t there.

Shane Chen; he was in my history class. I knew that already. I already knew everyone’s names in my history class because they were the same faces as the faces of our stream class. History, or social studies, was still compulsory that year. I already knew it was on my list for next.

Our class stream is B. Which technically means we are the second best in the school. ‘The second smartest.’ I don’t know how true it really is, because everyone from B-D seems to be be mixed and overlapping in ability. Everyone has their strengths and their weaknesses. However I do find it insulting when everyone who meets me automatically assumes I am lower than G.

However whatever the streams, one thing is obvious. A is the elite; and it is unfair. They get special treatment. Special opportunities, extra certifications and favour with the teachers. Most people guess that B is the same. It’s not the case. We are just the top of the rabble.

And at the top of the top of the rabble is Chen, ranked first in the class. He could have very well been in A, but everyone knows he didn’t want to. Something about it that made him lay off on his exams just a little.

There’s a reason Shane is the best, which is the same reason as every other Asian kid from A down to E has. His parents.

Study study study. ‘I can’t because I have to study.’ ‘I can’t because my parents said I have to study.’ ‘I have to get this and that or my parents will...’ I’m sick of it. I hate it. I guess I am really a cynical person, not that I ever express it on the outside. I guess you can say I don’t understand it, having pushy parents. I won’t even comment on my own. But achieving excellence is an important aspect of my life. I may not have paternal being to push it upon me, but I sure as do push it on myself.

I like to think I’m flexible, but my temper is short. If I get anything under 85%, I rage. I rip my paper into shreds. I yell at the rubbish bin on the far side of the school as I thrust the delicate work into its bowels with my first. People stare.

-

I stare. I stare at the rails. The train track had been an important part of my life. And now it was even more important.

The blood didn't show up against the metal; if anything, it just dulled it as it dried. It showed in the gravel though. Each patch where every main bit of him lay. The shirt. The head. The arm.

I don’t look at the head. I don’t look at the head. I don’t look at the head.

Barely attached. Facing away. Hair, mottled and matted with his own innards. He died for us. He died for us.

I was the second one to retch, but nothing comes out. Everyone is stock still. Everyone is staring. It was the first time I had ever seen Shane’s eyes so wide.

-

He never lost his cool. No, Chen wouldn’t do that. In-fact, when it comes to his grades and his assignments I don’t think he gives a crap. His parents care on his behalf. his parents stress on his behalf. His concern would be elsewhere. Doing other things. Watching other things.

When I had first met him I was on the train first. My stop is at the far end, and all the drivers know me well so they sometimes give me free trips. I have my seat; always the same seat. The corner one by the post. Chen got on the train when we were near to the city and the chairs were already full.

I know exactly when he gets on, and exactly where. When you become a habitual train rider, you tend to take a preference of which carriage to jump on. Him and I had taken the same. I used to follow their movement everyday. He was normally with his friend Daniel. I just saw the two of them as some boys from my class.

Daniel wasn’t there. A few stops in, Shane, obviously bored, decides to make conversation.

‘Heeeyyy? Never knew we took the same train.’

Yeah right.

“Yeah I noticed you before but never enough time to really talk you know.”

‘Yeah Daniel Swanson normally rides with me but he came down with something.’

“Yeah I know.”

‘You know he was sick...?’

“I know he took the train.”

‘Yeah these bastards. All of the public transport has turned into a piece of crap recently, all they want is money money money, it's cheaper to goddamn buy a car nowadays. They’re draining me.’

My eyebrows raised. This was unexpected. Shane, not giving a toss while doing everything perfect at the same time, complaining to me his woes.

“Something’s bitten you.”

‘Damn right it has. My parents are making me pay half my own fares. And I don’t get pocket money or crap. I don’t think they considered they’re forcing me into child labour. Do you know who hires a fourteen year old these days? No one.’

He's exaggerating. I can tell. I know the true deal; half a train fare is the cost of a bus. But Shane wants to keep taking the train because Daniel is there.

“Study and child labour at the same time. Sounds intense.”

‘Yeah.’

“Sucks to be you.”

‘Sucks to be anyone nowadays. We are all just pawns of the industry in the end. Do you know how many other Me’s there are out there. Either same name. Same situation. What the heck am I really?’

“We were talking about something just like that at history club yesterday.”

Shane leaned himself against the pole I was gripping so tightly, causing it to shudder beneath my fingers.

‘I didn’t know there was a history club.’

“Well, it’s not really yet.. or I don’t know. It’s just me, Hutcheon and Sir.”

Shane Chen was the third.

[If you want to be tagged for the next one please leave your name on my wall]

Pompadour wrote a review...

Gah, I can't review this one either. Just a couple of grammar thingamabobbies and I'll be on my way. >.>

However, whatever the streams, one thing is obvious.

Insert comma after "However."

as I thrust the delicate work into its bowels with my first.

~ Typo. "first" should be "fist."

Also, I noticed several tense-shifts in this chapter. Like over here:

I was the second one to retch, but nothing comes out.

You do this especially in the paragraph that starts as: "I stare. I stare at the rails ..." where you go from past-tense to present-tense, and keep on mixing it up until your reader is completely and utterly confused. So watch out for them tense-shifts, and you should be fine.

A few stops in, Shane, obviously bored, decides to make conversation.

Oh look, caught another one.

Anywhoo, that's all I have to critique. So I'll be on my way.

~Pompadour

JayeCShore wrote a review...

Hi, J.C. here for a review!

Why have I never been spat in the face these very words? I would prefer it that way. That truth.

This is part of the reason I love this book thus far. Your MC is someone I can relate to, and it's parts like this that speak to people, like me, who've been through this same situation. Sad, that this is how society is, has been, and always will be.

I thought this method of "classes" was very interesting. Not only does this make it more interesting as a story, but it also adds a sense of adult-ish symbolism. Politics can be related to this quite easily. And again, sad that this is the society we find ourselves living in.

People stare.

-

This linkage between two separate thoughts with the same concept is indicative of great writing. Noticing when and where it is optimum to place this sort of thing can be hard at times. Too much, and it gets cliched. To little, and your story doesn't flow well.

At this point I'm absolutely chomping at the bit wondering how Sir died for them. You haven't given us many clues yet. I understand that he was "freeing" them in a sort of way, but still, how? It's kept me reading more than anything else, and I have to know the answer!

You pointed this out in my book, so I almost feel obligated to mention it in yours. But seriously, too many writers forget about body language and how much it can express. With this simply action, you've really solidified the sort of "free spirit" Shane is. He's already ranted a bit about things that don't necessarily concern the MC. This last bit just helps it to stick with the reader.

Your style and voice is still strong in this chapter, and you're playing out each one very well, adding a wee bit more to the story, without overloading the reader with an info dump. And, of course, you still have the elegant descriptions, especially about Sir's death, that bring the story to a whole new level.

Thank you Blackwood!

#D65F54 ">- JC -

#TheFaultInOurReviews

Crimsona says...

I'm not here to leave a review because I'm definite that I could not do your writing justice. Just something I noticed, a slight grammatical slip up:

'His parents care on his behalf. his parents stress on his behalf.'

^The first letter of 'his' should be capitalised in the second sentence.

That's all. I'm loving this so far - I adore your writing style.

Milanimo wrote a review...

Hey!

This is very well written. Very clear, concise and very well thought out.

Just a few nit picky things here, though:

"so despicable. So detestable?"
You might want to combine these. "so despicable and detestable?", "so despicable; so detestable?". Something like that might work better because the period separates these too much.

"Shane talked to me that day because Daniel wasn’t there."
I get you are emphasizing, almost like a poem, but this sentence is unneeded. We already know the indifference Shane possesses towards the character, so the repetition is not required.

After this sentence you start to dump data into the story. There's too much background information in one place and it can bore the reader. Try to limit how much information you include from previous moments, as you want to focus on the present situation as much as possible. I understand you want to embed what the character feels towards their history class, but it is irrelevant to the story and what is going on. You could possibly cut out a few sentences there.

In addition, make sure that the quotations are all double. Just because another person is talking does not mean that you need to specify it. The reader can already tell that you are having another character speak. By changing the quotation format it is a bit unsettling and the reader will be focusing more on the grammar than the dialogue.

Other than that great job! The work is very precise and very nicely worded. I feel as if I'm in the characters head, which really helps me know them better. I can tell who they are and why they feel the way they do, without much guess work.

Awesome job!

Renard wrote a review...

More reviews, as promised.
So as I'm reading this, I am realising you open up to a pretty big cast basis. Now, having loads of characters is one thing, not being able to keep track of them is another, and I think that is what the danger of things happening here is.
I'm not confused, just struggling to keep up a little.
I do like the way you introduce your characters:

'Shane Chen; he was in my history class. I knew that already.' - Little relevant details and all that sort of thing. It's interesting. Also, it's nice that each character has a different introduction. So that's good characterisation.
I see why you talked about the mystery kind of label, because up until now, it's kind of hard to decipher the specific horror element in this text. I am looking forward to seeing that change later.

There's a paragraph in here where you make full use of repetition, but I think it becomes overworked:

'I stare. I stare at the rails.' Here and here: 'Everyone is stock still. Everyone is staring.'

Now it's ok where you've repeated the same phrase over, because the character is trying to convince themselves of their belief, to sugar coat it, but just using the same words in different ways doesn't have the same effect. And it doesn't help that this occurs mainly all through the same chapter.

'Shane Chen was the third.' the ending of this sets the tone for the entire piece. And I'm wondering... what exactly is the deeper meaning behind this creation?

If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry.
— Emily Dickinson