z

Young Writers Society



Through My Binoculars

by Bittersweet


I was really trying to go for something different than what I normally write. I don't usually conjure up stories about creepy people, so this is really quite different. I'm not so confident with this one, though, because I feel like I'm rambling as I'm writing. But that's what you guys are here for, yes?

Through My Binoculars

She’s always there.

Today she is lounging peacefully on that chair that swings. Her pale, bare foot hangs off of the edge of her perch, toes stroking the wood while she propels the swing back and forth. The sun drapes its creamy curtain over her body. Her golden hair shines in the light so brilliantly that it no longer seems like hair, but something more glorious. It spills across the pillow like dozens of tiny, yellow streams. The summery bath of light paints her eyelids and smooths her eyebrows. She’s smiling pleasantly. What she is thinking of seems so nice. I ache to share those thoughts; to be cheery along with her. With her. Not the man staring at her from the window.

Her orange cat mews softly and rubs against her extended leg. Without opening her eyes, she lets her small, slender hand droop, long fingers wiggling as if to beckon the animal towards her. The cat obeys and lets its face brush against her hand. Her smile grows just a little bit and then her eyes open. They surprise me every time I see them. They are a cobalt ocean, waves frozen in place. Around them, a great sapphire wall keeps all the water from spilling out. I’ve never seen anything like them.

She’s laughing quietly now. The cat is being silly. She leans forward and picks it up, arranging it along her torso and petting it. The cat’s soft touch comforts her, and her head rolls against her shoulder. She looks as if she is asleep, though her hands keep running down the cat’s fur so gently. The smile never leaves her face. And she just keeps swinging.

The sun shines brighter. It makes her glow. Her rose-colored cheeks turn a placid peach in the radiant light. Soon, she cannot stay still any longer. She shifts, and the cat leaps off as if to do her bidding. She’s up and suddenly she’s dancing across the yard, the lush grass whispering as her feet step on it with light steps. She’s singing some joyous yet gloomy tune. Her voice is so soft and melodious when she sings, a light soprano. Her smile is wide as she skips across the lawn, brushing past blossoming bushes and trees. Her song trails off and she falls gracefully onto the grass, her chest heaving delicately. She giggles breathlessly as the cat bounds over to pounce on her. Before it can reach her, she’s up again, running away, her hair billowing gently behind her and grinning tranquilly. She’s coming towards me. It almost seems as if she really is coming for me. But she’s looking up at the cloudless sky as she sprints across her yard. The cat catches up, and she tumbles to the floor, giggling lightly. She pulls herself into a cross-legged position and looks up at the sky again. I catch myself wondering what she sees there. Does she see God up there, who constantly blesses her with all she has and gives me nothing? Or does she see her dreams there? Everything she’s always wanted but never had?

But she has everything.

And I can’t have the one thing I want.

Her grin fades away and is replaced with her serene semi-smile. Her face is solemn as she looks up at the blue canopy overhead. Her eyes flutter sleepily, and close. I don’t want them to close. I pray for them to open. There’s almost nothing I want more than to see those eyes forever.

And they do. They are fixed right on me. Though I was too far away to see my reflection in her eyes, I could picture it; the boyish man with the binoculars, staring at the beauty next door.

Her semi-smile is gone now. Her face is full of horror as she realizes what I am. What I’ve been doing.

And in just that moment, the world crashes and burns before my eyes.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
158 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 158

Donate
Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:18 pm
Lauren wrote a review...



Very good! Hi by the way.

I was a bit sceptical at first - I see many of these 'in the eyes of a stalker/serial killer/creep' things, but I think yours stands out.
Why? Well, I think because it looks professional, delicate. There isn't an abundance of exclamation marks. It relies wholly on the way you put together the words. It's subtle and effective.
My only qualm (hmm, I'm not sure how much I like that word) is that there are too many thes. it can get a bit... repetitive. I know you were aiming at a kind of aloof narrative, but maybe a few variations to your layout?
However, that's all. I think it was a spine-tingling character piece. Well done.


L




User avatar


Points: 890
Reviews: 2

Donate
Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:30 am
leahhh wrote a review...



This is really creepy.

But in that, Oh My GOD, who's watching me, way. (:

Over all the story is great.

It kept my attention, which is seriously hard to do.

I think I have ADD. Probably.

You use great descriptions, especially when telling about the girl.

So now...I'm going to be constantly looking around when I'm in my yard.

Just to make sure, some guy who's obsessed with me, isn't peaking. (;




User avatar
135 Reviews


Points: 248
Reviews: 135

Donate
Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:25 pm
lakegirls wrote a review...



Hi,
I liked to say that this story was very well written and the imagery was phenomenal. I liked how there was no dialouge in the begining though, I never read anything like it before. In all the amazment of the story I did notice one very minor mistake.

The cat catches up, and she tumbles to the floor


Instead of just writing floor, write something like the grassy floor, just so people will not get confused.

Like the other people said, I think too that you should make your character seem a little older, unless she is suppose to seem young, if so, you have her done perfectly.

I really liked this story and am looking forward to more.

My favorite piece of this enchanting story is:

Today she is lounging peacefully on that chair that swings. Her pale, bare foot hangs off of the edge of her perch, toes stroking the wood while she propels the swing back and forth. The sun drapes its creamy curtain over her body. Her golden hair shines in the light so brilliantly that it no longer seems like hair, but something more glorious. It spills across the pillow like dozens of tiny, yellow streams. The summery bath of light paints her eyelids and smooths her eyebrows. She’s smiling pleasantly. What she is thinking of seems so nice. I ache to share those thoughts; to be cheery along with her. With her. Not the man staring at her from the window.


Love,
N xoxo




User avatar
202 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 202

Donate
Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:35 pm
CastlesInTheSky wrote a review...



Hello, Bittersweet.

I know you hate the "OMG that's soo good" reviews, but this was really, really good.

There was some beautiful use of imagery and your description is spot on. Your vocabulary choice is great as well, you use sophisticated words without making it seem like you're trying to show off about your vocabulary (I do that all the time, I'm afraid :oops:)

The best paragraph:

Today she is lounging peacefully on that chair that swings. Her pale, bare foot hangs off of the edge of her perch, toes stroking the wood while she propels the swing back and forth. The sun drapes its creamy curtain over her body. Her golden hair shines in the light so brilliantly that it no longer seems like hair, but something more glorious. It spills across the pillow like dozens of tiny, yellow streams. The summery bath of light paints her eyelids and smooths her eyebrows. She’s smiling pleasantly. What she is thinking of seems so nice. I ache to share those thoughts; to be cheery along with her. With her. Not the man staring at her from the window.

It was just perfect.

Oh, just one thing.

I agree with the first reviewer, maybe change some of the words that suggest she is a very young girl.

This part: "Her smile is wide as she skips across the lawn, brushing past blossoming bushes and trees. Her song trails off and she falls gracefully onto the grass, her chest heaving delicately. She giggles breathlessly as the cat bounds over to pounce on her." That is the only area you need to consider changing.

Just rethink verb choices, and get rid of "skips" and "giggles", because, well, I'm not sure but it makes it seem like she's very young, mentally.



Does she see God up there, who constantly blesses her with all she has and gives me nothing? Or does she see her dreams there? Everything she’s always wanted but never had?
But she has everything.
And I can’t have the one thing I want.


This part brought tears to my eyes. It really did. It was just so poignant and it made you feel the unfairness that the narrator is feeling; it makes you go through what he is going through.


Her semi-smile is gone now. Her face is full of horror as she realizes what I am. What I’ve been doing.

Did you mean to repeat semi-smile?


And in just that moment, the world crashes and burns before my eyes.

I'm torn about this ending. It's suitably dramatic and ends the story well, but maybe it's a bit too abrupt or melodramatic?

Oh well. It doesn't really matter :D

This was great. You have a gift.

Sarah

xxx




User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 47

Donate
Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:35 am
Weatherthestorm wrote a review...



I think this piece was well inspired and brilliantly portrayed. I couldn't help but think about Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window while reading this. The characters of both the "boyish man" and the woman lounging in her yard were well defined without actually being directly defined. I really enjoy that in a writer. Your imagery was excellent and your use of a higher vocabulary was not supercilious nor was it superfluous. That is another quality I enjoy in a writer. You kept the plot simple and only slightly tried to add more physical movement/action than necessary, but it was still simple and discreet and all about reactions rather than the actions themselves. This is a quality I enjoy in a piece. I'm not going to run over the mechanical corrections or tell you whether or not I liked a specific adverb. If I did that, I might as well spit on your work and write it myself. But I won't because I probably couldn't. Superb work. Keep it up.




User avatar
41 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 41

Donate
Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:13 pm
silverSUNLIGHTx wrote a review...



I thought this piece was beautiful. Your descriptions are amazingly detailed and capturing. I liked how you portrayed the girl from the watcher's perspective, it was very soft and well written.
But what I would change if I were you, was when the girl was dancing in her yard she sounded like a little child. Although I'm not sure if she is or not, but it seems to me that this girl should be older. Maybe trade some of the words like "giggling" and "skipping" to create a different mental picture.
But overall I thought it was great. :]





We are not to simply bandage the wounds of victims beneath the wheels of injustice, we are to drive a spoke into the wheel itself.
— Dietrich Bonhoeffer