Murder & Investigation #1 - Before the Murder

by BigBadBear

You have no idea how frustrating this was to write. The first part (and the majority of this section) is done in a chat room, similar to YWS's. It took hours to write. Getting everything right, with the minutes (and yes, even the dreadful chatspeak, which I cannot stand). I had to make everything realistic for this. I'm sorry to make your eyes bleed with such language. This is for Chocoholic's Murder and Investigation contest.

EDIT: I have completely revamped the entire ending, so I suggest all that read this beforehand to reread it. It's more intense and more descriptive than the crap I wrote earlier. I also changed the lunch part in the chatroom.

-

BEFORE THE MURDER

[Chat]: Freakazoid entered at 11:45 pm

[Holly_Sock] 11:45 pm: hi, freakazoid. R u new to the chat?

[Freakazoid] 11:45 pm: yeah.

[Holly_Sock] 11:45 pm: kewl. Im holly. Wats ur name?

[Freakazoid] 11:46 pm: Josh.

[Freakazoid] 11:46 pm: how old r u?

[Holly_Sock] 11.46 pm: …why?

[Freakazoid] 11:46 pm: just wondering.

[Holly_Sock] 11:46 pm: 15. U?

[Freakazoid] 11:46 pm: same.

[Holly_Sock] 11:46 pm: what’s up?

[Freakazoid] 11:46 pm: Nothing. Just wandering around the web looking for cool chat rooms. Is this one used a lot?

[Holly_Sock] 11:46 pm: not really. Usually just me and my friend jess. Her name is Toink.

[Freakazoid] 11:47 pm: how old is she?

[Holly_Sock] 11:47 pm: why do you want to know? She doesn’t like people giving out her personal information and stuff.

[Freakazoid] 11:47 pm: ok, im sorry.

[Holly_Sock] 11:47 pm: its ok. So, what do you like to do Josh?

[Freakazoid] 11:47 pm: I dunno. I like to write about animals. Especially wolves.

[Holly_Sock] 11:47 pm: !!! OMG! I LOVE WOLVES!

[Freakazoid] 11:47 pm: Haha. Really? So do i. Wolves are so cool.

[Holly_Sock] 11:47 pm: yessss, I no! They are my favorite! That’s so crazy. We both write stories about wolves. What else do you like to do?

[Freakazoid] 11:47 pm: well, I am on my high school’s swim team. I guess that means I like to swim.

[Holly_Sock] 11:47 pm: really? R u serious? I LOVE swimming! I have a season pass at my swimming pool! My ex-bf got me into it.

[Freakazoid] 11:48 pm: you’re single too? Well, at least you’ve been in a couple. I’ve never had a gf.

[Holly_Sock] 11:48 pm: aw, im sorry. Its ok tho. Bfs really suck. I don’t think im ever going to have another one.

[Freakazoid] 11:48 pm: Why not?

[Holly_Sock] 11:48 pm: because they suck. They are kewl for a while and then when u break up w/ them, everyone thinks you’re a slut and everything sucks.

[Freakazoid] 11:48 pm: I’m sorry…

[Holly_Sock] 11:48 pm: its ok. I got over him.

[Freakazoid] 11:49 pm: So… where do u live?

[Holly_Sock] 11:49 pm: Atlanta, GA.

[Freakazoid] 11:49 pm: You’ve got to be kidding me, right? I live there too!

[Holly_Sock] 11:49 pm: r u serious? Wow. We’ve got so much in common.

[Freakazoid] 11:49 pm: yeah. We should meet sometime.

[Holly_Sock] 11:49 pm: …

[Freakazoid] 11:49 pm: Kidding! I’m kidding! Shesh.

[Holly_Sock] 11:49 pm: lol

[Holly_Sock] 11:50 pm: I gtg to bed soon.

[Freakazoid] 11:50 pm: me too.

[Holly_Sock] 11:50 pm: yeah.

[Freakazoid] 11:50 pm: I go to Atlanta High. U?

[Holly_Sock] 11:50 pm: wow, this is freaky. I go there too! How come I don’t know u? im in the SBO. I know pretty much everyone.

[Freakazoid] 11:50 pm: well, idk. Im no one really important though. Just one of those guys that slip back in the crowd.

[Holly_Sock] 11:50 pm: lol don’t say that about yourself! Can you talk to me at lunch? I want to see who u r.

[Freakazoid] 11:50 pm: I doubt we have the same lunch.

[Holly_Sock] 11:51 pm: ? huh? What do u mean?

[Freakazoid] 11:51 pm: What are u talking about?

[Holly_Sock] 11:51 pm: we only have one lunch. It’s not like middle school or anything.

[Freakazoid] 11:51 pm: haha, im jk.

[Holly_Sock] 11:51 pm: yeah…

[Holly_Sock] 11:51 pm: So you’ll meet me? You should know what I look like.

[Freakazoid] 11:51 pm: I know exactly what you look like.

[Holly_Sock] 11:51 pm: um… that sounded a bit creepy. Lol.

[Freakazoid] 11:51 pm: I’ll be watching for you at lunch. Meet me by the fence, over by the canal. Ok?

[Holly_Sock] 11:52 pm: Heh. Awesome. I’ll be there. ‘Night, josh. Cya tomorrow.

[Freakazoid] 11:52 pm: Good night.

[Chat]: Holly_Sock left at 11:52 pm

[Freakazoid] 11:52 pm: Good night, my love.

*

Holly Eva stands by a barbed wire fence. She clutches her coat close to her body. Thick sheets of smog settle on the schoolyard, creating an empty void of space. She hears students talking and laughing. They are far enough away that she can’t see them, but close enough that she can hear them.

She hears the water in the canal rushing past her. Leaning back on the fence, she takes out her cell phone and begins texting Jess, her best friend.

Everything is quiet. The lunch break is almost over, and she can hear the students heading towards the high school. Holly sighs.

“Josh? Where are you? I don’t want to be tardy!”

Holly reaches down to grab her handbag that she had set on the wet grass. The bag drips and she groans. Wiping away the water, she complains about her schoolbooks being ruined.

She hears footsteps, and looks up into the smog.

“Josh?” Her voice seems to stop dead.

The footsteps come closer.

“Josh, is that you? I’ve been waiting here for a long time. I’m gonna be tardy…”

The footsteps stop. Holly calls out again, but receives no reply.

Slinging her bag over her shoulder, Holly walks hesitantly over to where she heard the footsteps. Josh is probably just a joker. One of those idiots that tried to scare her in the hallways or something.

“Josh, come on. Where are you?” There is a fragile edge to her voice, like a frail piece of string that could tear easily. Her eyes begin to strain.

“Whatever. I’m going in,” Holly says, gathering courage. There is something wrong, and she knows it. She always has those senses, like the hair standing up on the back of her neck. Or the feeling that she is being watched.

It’s just the fog, she reminds herself.

“Come here.”

Holly gasps and spins around. Nothing. Only fog. No. Not just fog. There is someone there.

“Josh? Is that you?”

“I’ve been waiting for you.” The voice is gentle. Kind, and at the same time urging.

“Josh, I’m sorry. Can we do this another day? The bell’s just about to –”

A man leaps from the fog. His black silhouette grabs her throat. Holly screams, but it is muffled by his hands. She panics; thrusting her arms and legs at the man is her only defense.

“It’s gonna be all right, honey,” he whispers fiercely. The man squeezes her throat, pressing on the pressure points. Holly is becoming limp. Her struggles are useless. She squirms and tries to bite his hand, but everything is a failed attempt.

“Just a few more seconds,” he breathes into her ear. “I love you, honey.”

The squirming stops. Only one single tear can escape from Holly’s eyes before the man lays her on the grass. Her body is pale and frozen. Perfect for him.

He kneels on the wet grass with her. He pressed his face up to hers. “I love you.”

The man brings his fingers up delicately to Holly’s face. He strokes her chin, gently.

The man kisses her soft lips.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:54 am
JFW1415 wrote a review...

Hey, Jare, I have a new deal for you. I'll count the fat boy critique as 1/2, and this as 1/2, and dirt as 1. So you have one left, or two more critiques like this, okay? 'cause on a lot of your stuff, 'specially since it's so short, my critiques are not long at all.

Nit-Picks

[Holly_Sock] 11.46 pm: …why?

Honestly, not many kids care about sharing their names. So this just adds extra 'omigodhesastalker' feeling, which isn't good right off the bat, 'cause it makes Holly seem unreal and stupid.

The age this is really bothering me – people aren't that careful about that. She should be more worried about the name.

[Holly_Sock] 11:49 pm: Atlanta, GA.

Right. She gives this away easily, but not her age???

[Freakazoid] 11:52 pm: Good night. I'd ditch this, just so the next part doesn't sound so odd. It makes the last bit lose all effect.

Holly Eva stands by a barbed wire fence. She clutches her coat close to her body.

Maybe add ', shivering.' Just 'cause the same structure is boring here.

Overall Comments

*Gold star*

I skimmed the original a long time ago, and this is a huge improvement, Jare. Good job!

This could be extended to something longer, but you tend to love short things, don't you, Jare? But if you wanted, you could build the life around her, make it so we really believe that the guy meeting her is just a friend, etc. Make the murder really be a mystery.

I'll look forward to the next bits. Actually, you asked for a critique on part two, so that will probably count as 1/2, as will part three, so there are your three critiques for getting third in my Side Characters contest. XD

PM me for anything, or hit me up on MSN.

~JFW1415

KailaMarie says...

wow, that was really creepy!!!
lol. that's scary, but the chatroom was an interesting way to start it.
i didn't really find any errors or anything, so good job, and i'll be waiting for the next part.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:42 am
Hands05 wrote a review...

Great job! Two thumbs up. I only could read the revised version because I recently joined but from previous reviews the revision was great. I love how realistic the reactions were, it was as if this could actually happen (hopefully not). The chat-room conversation was very realistic also. But about the chat-room although it was realistic I totally agree with ashleylee, I think that most (normal) people wouldn't agree to meet up with someone met online. It just seemed a bit... fake. But besides that the story was great, this also falls under my favorite genre. Keep up the good work! :)

Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:50 pm
ashleylee wrote a review...

WOW!!! That is SO creepy. It reminded me of one of those psychos on CSI or something :shock: I just finished reading a detective book with murders and stuff and I think that made me like your story even more. I love books like this. I think it would be so cool to be a detective and nail these psychos…

But I’m getting off track. As you can probably all ready tell, I really enjoyed your story. I found no errors at all. I must tell you, even though you kind of mentioned this earlier that you worked really hard on it, that the chat room conversation was kind of…forced. :? I’m sorry, but I’m not entirely sure that they would get so enthusiastic about the things they talked about. I don’t know…maybe that’s just me, but even if some guy said that he went to my school, I would NEVER agree to meet him ANYWHERE. I guess I’m just paranoid like that, but this is exactly what can happen. Ug, it gives me the shivers just thinking about what happen to Holly.

Anyway, wonderful job and Keep Writing! :D

Angel of Death wrote a review...

Hey BBB!!!

I have to make reading some of your work apart of my daily schedule because its like going to the movies! I love watching thrillers and mysteries, where plots take unexpected turns and stuff! My heart is racing so fast, I'm speechless. Ok, I'm not really speechless but I should be because this was amazingly good. At first I thought these were just two kids chatting online but then the fog and the struggle...OMG!!
Alright, alright let's get down to business. Darn...I found no mistakes...so ok that part of the critiquing is over.
All in all,
Keep writing and Good Job,
Angel :D :D :D

Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:55 pm
Lauren wrote a review...

Hello! This is just a quick critique, but I'll try to be helpful...
I thought the chat-room part was really well written. I expect some people would go overboard with the "txttlk" but I think you did just fine. I liked how Holly didn't fall for him, at first, hook-line-and-sinker. The 'ums' were really effective!
These 'ums' show she's unsure and a bit wary, and thus leads to something I think you should consider. Obviously, she has her doubts (you've portrayed that well), but then she just meets him! I think a few more cyber-meetings would suffice for the realism. She needs to trust him; he needs to make her feel close to him.
Now for the actual meeting... I just thought the fog thing was a bit cliché, but not terribly so. It also came across as a bit rushed... I know you want impact, but it didn't need to just happen so suddenly, I don't think.
Last of all, pickiness at its extreme:

“It’s gonna be all right, hunny,”

It's no longer chatspeak, so why the 'hunny'? The proper word, 'honey', sounds just the same. ??

L

Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:58 pm
LilyReagan wrote a review...

Whoa, baby.

Internet predators are bad, and you took it to the next level. At first I thought Holly_Sock would be the predator, but no....

You tricked me!

Write more. Who was it? *shakes with excitement* My friend, MJ *she's FlirtWithDisaster* read this with me. Sooo exciting.

Write more, please! Yay!

~Lily~

Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:39 pm
BigBadBear says...

Whoa. I woke up and had eight responses. That's the most I've ever woken up to!

Ryukun7 - Thanks! I'll go back and edit those two parts, because they seem to be the weakest part of the story.

Kiss In The Rain - Thanks! I'm going to go back and edit that last, non chat room part. It needs some work.

Pork -

How, by the way, does this man know someone local will be in this particular chatroom? He must have known the girl prior to the conversation, but even still, how does he know about this chatroom? I hope this gets explained later on, because right now it doesn't make any plausible sense.

Take out the "Before the Murder" line. It's unnecessary and takes away any suspense this could have had.

1. Will be announced in next couple parts, because that's part of the mystery. 2. I can't take out 'Before the Murder'. I have to have it for the contest.

And thanks! I'll be going around and editing a bunch.

Holly -
Eeeh! It's my name!

I know! I used it because I love it so much!

So maybe you can switch it around so that Holly is the one that's leaving the chat and then after she leaves, creepy stalker guy can be like "Good night, my love". That way, the reader still gets the spine-chill that that sentence gave, but it's no longer unrealistic.

Thank you!!!! I am going to use that! Thank you so much. It's gonna be a lot better because of you!

Mat - Thanks for the edits and such! As I told the others, every response counts. Or wait. I don't think I told them that. Anyway, thanks. I'll be editing very much.

Vernon - Thanks! I'll delete some of Holly's repetitive names. I never know when to stop saying a character's name. :( I'll try and work on originality.

lyrical_sunshine - Thanks a bunch! I'll go ahead and totally revamp the entire last part and rewrite it from scratch. See what other kinda stuff I can come up with. Thanks.

stirly - Thanks! For the millionth time. XD Yeah, the ending is a bit vague, so I'm gonna revamp it. Thanks a million!

-Jared

Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:53 pm
stirly wrote a review...

The chatspeak scene was rather accurate. As everyone has already pointed out, the lunch scenario seemed a bit... off, but other than that it was quite realistic. Most writers can't reveal their character's intentions and personalities through a conversation, so well done!

I'm sure someone has already pointed this out, but the ending was a bit vague. The chatspeak scene was so utterly detailed that the lunch scene seemed... lacking. The same vibrancy of character we saw before vanished. It definitely seemed rushed, and could use some detail.

Other than that, though, this was a brilliant story :D I'm dying to find out who the killer was...

Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:32 pm
lyrical_sunshine wrote a review...

Hmm, I think Vernon and Insomnia got most of the grammar issues. That being said, this was a very original piece and not what I expected at all. Nice job.

As everyone else said, the whole "two lunches" thing was suspicious, and if I were Holly I would have been gone in that instant. Also, chat room stalkers are very, very good at what they do. He wouldn't say something like "I know everything about you." I know it's great foreshadowing, but you do have to be realistic. Stalkers who find their victims in chat rooms are very good at sounding like kids. So just watch that kind of stuff.

Also, the "my beauty" thing struck me as a little awkward and cliche, in both the chat room and when he stabbed her. It seemed like something a Victorian-England-esque killer would say. Go ahead and make it original. Put a little dialogue in that scene, maybe. Why is he killing her? Is he just a murderer, or is he a little crazy too? You can really add a lot to the character development.

Okay! Now that I've rambled, I'll just add once again that I really enjoyed this and it gave me goosebumps. *shiver* Keep it up!

Edit:

Wow. So much creepier. So much better. Very nicely done.

Great imagery.

Hmm...I don't really like "urging." Insistent, maybe?

“It’s gonna be all right, hunny,” he whispers fiercely. The man squeezes her throat, pressing on the pressure points. Holly is becoming limp. Her struggles are useless. She squirms and tries to bite his hand, but everything is a failed attempt.

"Honey." And how about "pushing on the pressure points." "Pressing" just feels redundant.

“Just a few more seconds,” he breathes into her ear. “I love you, hunny.”

"Honey," not "hunny."

*vomits*
*passes out*
(That's a compliment by the way)

Try "He kneels on the wet grass with and and presses his face up to hers." It flows a little better.

*shivers*
Thanks to you, I will now have nightmares. Hope you're happy.

Nice job.

Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:38 am

Okay BBB, first off the chat was hard I get but you could make it more interesting have someone else in the chat. Another thing, it's very annoying at least to me when I see sentences continuelly began with names, for example:

Holly Eva stood by the fence, hands in her pockets. The sky was gray and dark, and there was a mist covering the school field. She couldn’t see the building from where she was standing. The grass was wet and slippery. Holly had fallen on her way to meet Josh. She had dark water stains on her pants.

Shivering, she glanced behind her. Holly was standing behind a canal that traveled down the fence line, emptying out in a river somewhere. The water seemed to be frozen. The misty air had halted the water.

Holly could hear students talking on the schoolyard. They were far away enough that she couldn’t see them in the mist, but close enough that she could hear them.

Holly shivered again.

Was Josh even going to meet her? And was he really important enough to stand outside in the chilling fog?

“Hello, my beauty.”

Holly jumped and turned around. Her eyes caught a glimpse of a knife and a silhouette of a man. He was tall and wore a black hat. Holly didn’t even have time to see his eyes before she felt the piercing.

Come on we already know her name and you make it clear there is only the guy and her there. Telling us on and on it's her is irritating.

Like instead of beginning Holly could hear students...

She could hear students...

Plus it gets rid of repetition of Holly and Holly. Or even get rid of it, it adds nothing to the overall atmosphere.

The first line he speaks is so cliché, come on 'Hello, my beauty' he's a romantic yes, but it sounds so overused.

Plus you could drag this on, she notices he has the knife too quickly, it's just like you put all the best writing into chatroom (which is ironic) and then rushed the murder.

How about making him late? And just as she's about to leave he comes, and no smart person like him would have his weapon showing. To add a knife seems amateur he a paedophile so he's going to want the intimacy, snapping the neck is more realistic for character.

Expand on the murder, add to the atmosphere and suspense, grip us thrill us, don't get murder over and done with, like that. It's weak as it stands.

Overall: There is a lot wrong after chatroom, others have pointed out problems before the story, so leave it at that. Expand further and never rush a murder, you want to horrify people.

Last thing, give the killer more originality in speech. Hope this all helps.

Good luck
VSN

Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:31 am
Insomnia wrote a review...

Hey, 3B. How're you? :)

You've done a good job here. It's a pretty cool concept, but like Prok said, I'm hoping you'll detail the plot more in the next parts so we know exactly how he did it.

The scene in the chat room is pretty good, although it seems a bit formal for the situation sometimes. Like here:

I don't know why, but that last sentence doesn't sound quite right. Maybe something a bit less formal, like, "Many people come in here?"

[Holly_Sock] 11:47 pm: why do you want to know? She doesn’t like people giving out her real name and stuff.

By the way, she said in the last thing that her name was Jess. You probably meant last night, but you could probably just say, "Usually just me and my friend," to clarify.

This is my second read through of this piece (Yeah, I liked it that much ;)), and the first time I was going to say that it seemed like she was saying too much about her life, for example her boyfriend. Then again, she's obviously a trusting person, since she goes to meet him, so it'll slide.

[Freakazoid] 11:51 pm: oh… um..

I know you need to give us some foreshadowing, but this is a bit too blatant. Remember, in a chat room, someone can think over their response, even when under pressure. Have him laugh it off, say something about getting confused. The other stuff you say, such as him already knowing what she looks like, give us good enough indications.

I agree with what one of the other posters said about saying his, "Goodnight, my love," line after she loves. It'll still maintain its creepiness, and the way it is, it seems like she's the crazy one for talking in a room when no one else is there. :P

Holly Eva stood by the fence,

I sympathise. I have a first name for a last name too. Bloody annoying. :lol:

Holly didn’t even have time to see his eyes before she felt the piercing.

"before she felt the knife pierce her," would be better. I pictured him cutting her with an earring. ;)

That's all I've got. It was a really great story, and I want to see where you take it from here. ...I think this is actually my first crit in a few months. :shock: Thanks for compelling me back to it. Good job.

-Mat

Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:09 am
Bittersweet wrote a review...

ENTIRELY NEW REVIEW!:
______________________

I must say this made a world's difference to this piece. I got a much better picture of what was going on
in the murder scene, and the whole time I was holding my breath. Two thumbs up to that. Except, I did find a two new errors, and someone might have already mentioned them, but... oh well. You're gonna have to hear them again if that's the case. :P

Everything is quiet. The lunch break is almost over, and she can hear the students heading towards the high school.

Everything is quiet, but she can hear the students? Maybe just slip in a except for the students at school or something after "quiet". That should fix the problem.

Her voice seems to stop dead.

Er... can your voice stop dead? And she just spoke, so it obviously didn't die. :wink: Rephrase or just take it out completely.

That's all that. Anyway, awesome revision. Mucho better. But I'm so sad you took out that last "Good night, my love"! You see, I think that's a very nice effect to the whole piece, and would sound very nice at the ending. Read the last sentence and then add the good night thing. Sounds more like an ending, right, than "The man kisses her soft lips".

Holly

(Thanks for using my name, by the way. I'm the one that gets murdered! Whoopee! xD)

Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:08 am
Prokaryote wrote a review...

Again, I like your style and the chat conversation was not bad at all.

But WHAT? This doesn't make any sense.

What kind of moron girl decides to meet an obvious creepo? The whole lunch thing... he just goes "um..." and Holly doesn't take that as a warning sign? He's obsessed about their ages and that's not odd enough?

"Good night, my love."? Perv alert! He's even named Freakazoid. How many more warning signs does she need?

Prokaryote

Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:33 am
Kiss In The Rain wrote a review...

Hey, BigBadBear. This is quite the piece. :D I really liked it! Ryukun pretty much got the grammar, so I'll just add to the compliments.

I liked it, really I did. The chat room was very believeable. I've never truely been in one, but it's just like MSN, so you did a great job with that. The last part, of her being murdered... I didn't really like it all that much. It could have been more...what's the word? Detailed. I don't know the rules to the challenge, so if you did the requirements, then don't change it, by any means. However, if you get the chance to change some things, add a bit more detail. It draws us in.

Other than that one little thing, GREAT JOB!

Edit:

Hey, me back. I liked the ending. :) Very nice changes. The other posters were sort of right. It was definitely better than the first time, but it could still use a little bit of revising.

The lunch part was a little better, thanks for fixing that, but not quite realistic. Holly shouldn't just let that pass. Maybe take it out? And add something in its place. Transfer student maybe? And his last school had a few different lunches? Mine does, so I could completely understand the two/three lunches thing, but she shouldn't just let it pass without a major dose of suspicion. I wouldn't.

Other than that, whoo hoo! Great job with the revisions. Just a few more, and this part will be squeaky-clean perfect :).

Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:13 am
Ryukun7 wrote a review...

Hey BigBadBear!

First off, I would like to say you did an excellent job of capturing a chat room atmosphere. I actually used a chat room in one of my works, but I think you did a much better job in portraying the characters with it.

Despite the realistic dialogue, there were two parts in the conversation that were slightly unbelievable to me.

1)

[Freakazoid] 11:51 pm: oh… um..
[Holly_Sock] 11:51 pm: yeah. So you’ll meet me? You should know what I look like.

Holly may be 15, but I still don't see how her character overlooks the lunch fact. She seems to think it's weird and then she just changes the topic. Maybe you could change the wording around a little to make it sound more realistic.

2)
[Freakazoid] 11:52 pm: Heh. Cool. Good night, my love.
[Chat]: Freakazoid has left at 11:52 pm
[Holly_Sock] 11:52 pm: night.
[Holly_Sock] 11:52 pm: … love?

Once again, it seems odd that Holly would be willing to meet this guy after a comment like this one.

Overall, I didn't really catch any spelling or grammatically errors(that weren't intended), and I thought this was a good read. Great job! :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Critique:

I love the revisions you made! :) The lunch part is definitely fixed now, as well as the end of the chat conversation. On an added note, I think you even improved the part at school.

This is exactly what I was talking about before. You did a good job showing the fear and logic behind Holly's actions, and that the reason why she is staying is that she believes he isn't some psycho(although he is lol). Hope that made sense!

The man kisses her soft lips.

Very chilling, yet a great way to close the piece.

I didn't catch any spelling/grammatical mistakes(again), and I think you've nearly perfected your story. This was truly a wonderful(and horrifying)read.

It's unsettling to know how little separates each of us from another life altogether.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore