Annabel Lee

by BigBadBear

This is for Snoink's Alternative History Contest. We are supposed to write from the POV of an imp that helps a historical figure rise to greatness. Or something like that.

--

Annabel Lee

“Roxford,” Edgar whispered in the dark. “Roxford, I need your help to write again.”

I was curled into Edgar’s thick, black hair. I shifted myself closer to his ear and whispered, “What’s wrong?”

“I can’t stop thinking…”

“Thinking about what?” I said.

“Her.”

A silence followed, and I frowned.

“What about her?”

“I have this idea in my mind. For a ballad. Or a poem; I don’t quite know yet, but I need to write this. Think of it as a memorial for her. Roxford, you have to help me. If I write this, I will feel much better about Virginia. I know she’s waiting for me in Heaven. You have to help me, my dear friend,” Edgar said, sitting himself in his chair. He took a piece of parchment, a bottle of ink and a pen from the table.

“What will you title it?” I asked him.

Edgar thought for a moment, and I could tell he was thinking deeply.

“Annabel Lee. I couldn’t name it Virginia’s name… too many painful memories. Annabel Lee will work just fine.”

My brain began whizzing at a frightening speed. I clicked my tongue on the roof of my mouth, and I concentrated.

“Write this,” I whispered.

It was many and many a year ago,

In a kingdom by the sea,

That a maiden there lived whom you may know

By the name of Annabel Lee.

“Yes!” Edgar whispered hotly. “You’ve done it again, my dear friend!”

“Keep writing.”

And this maiden she lived with no other thought

Than to love and be loved by me.

I was a child and she was a child,

In this kingdom by the sea;

But we loved with a love that was more than love-

I and my Annabel Lee;

With a love that the winged seraphs of heaven

Coveted her and me.

“How do you do this? How do you express my feelings in such a beautiful way?” Edgar asked, placing the pen down for a moment. “You’ve done it countless times before, but you’ve never fully explained this mystery to me. Roxford, please answer me this one question: How do you know my thoughts?”

“I’ve been sent to this Earth for one reason and one alone,” I said. “As an Imp, my job is to faithfully help one person who needs me. You, for instance, can’t write a sentence to save your life. But you have ideas—beautiful ideas—that need to be heard from seas to seas.”

“Thank you,” Edgar whispered, taking the pen in his hand again.

“Now, to answer your question: I’ve been granted the ability by my Maker to search your mind. It’s not as if I can read everyone’s thoughts, mind you. Just you, because I have been assigned to spread your words to every nation.

“Now, continue writing.”

And this was the reason that, long ago,

In this kingdom by the sea,

A wind blew out of a cloud, chilling

My beautiful Annabel Lee;

So that her highborn kinsman came

And bore her away from me,

To shut her up in a sepulcher

In this kingdom by the sea.

The angels, not half so happy in heaven,

Went envying her and me-

Yes!- that was the reason (as all men know,

In this kingdom by the sea)

That the wind came out of the cloud by night,

Chilling and killing my Annabel Lee.

“Tell me, Roxford,” Edgar said. “Why did she have to die?”

“Annabel Lee? Well, she caught a sickness and—”

“No, not Annabel Lee. Virginia. Why? She was so young… she wasn’t ready.”

“Oh,” I said, my voice falling. “These things happen to the best of people. Trials in people’s lives help them grow, or so I’ve been told.”

“Yes, but why her? Why did my Virginia—” He suddenly stopped and bit his lip. I could read his thoughts:

(i won’t cry i won’t cry no not now i’m over that time the GREAT DEPRESSION is over never to return oh god why her why my Virginia)

“Keep writing,” I commanded, my voice soothing his thoughts.

But our love it was stronger by far than the love

Of those who were older than we-

Of many far wiser than we-

And neither the angels in heaven above,

Nor the demons down under the sea,

Can ever dissever my soul from the soul

Of the beautiful Annabel Lee.

For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams

Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;

And the stars never rise but I feel the bright eyes

Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;

And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side

Of my darling- my darling- my life and my bride,

In the sepulchre there by the sea,

In her tomb by the sounding sea.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:39 pm
Thai Food wrote a review...

This was a creative idea. One that I in my wildest of dreams would have probably never have thought of.

A few things I must nit-pick about though, I'm afraid.

I know that Poe was a desperate guy with a rough life, drinking problem, yada yada yada...but he seems a little too desperate. I think that Poe would have had enough pride to at least try to think of his own work. I thought that the idea was to have some sort of creature help a historical figure rise, not to do their work for them. I was expecting the imp to be of some assistance, but not to write the bloody thing for him.

This sentence is a run-on with no punctuation. Periods and commas are your friends, my dear. Also, there is no need for the parentheses if you already have colon there. Great Depression needs to be either bolded or just left alone because it doesn't seem to really emphasize anything. Lastly, you need to capitalize what needs to be capitalized.

I think the idea was interesting enough, but I think that the story needs to be a little more gracious to Poe. Or, if not gracious, give credit where credit is due.

Your style is very nice and I hope you keep on writing!

-Thai

Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:31 am
Snoink wrote a review...

Hola BBBBBBBBB!

So first of all, I’m going to post my actual grades. Like I said, everybody did exceptionally well, and yours is no exception. What I graded on was grammar, originality, creativity, conflict, historical accuracy, and characters. I was hoping for an entertaining read that would amuse me, and I definitely got that!

Your story was interesting in its own right. Imps writing for authors? Authors being inept to write anything substantial? Dun dun dun! And then you tied it in with that one poem that you really like... you know. That poem. It was interesting to see that you thought greatness was literary... I never considered that, so it was indeed interesting!

Anyway, your results were as follows:

Grammar: 4/5

Originality: 10/20

Creativity: 6/20

Internal Conflict: 3/15

External Conflict: 2/15

Historical Accuracy: 5/5

Characters: 10/20

TOTAL: 40/100

Now... to explain why I chose the numbers I did!

Grammar: 4/5

Commas are like zebras. If they’re hiding in the grass and you don’t notice them, everything is all right. However, if one is standing in lion’s pride, the lion will probably tear the zebra apart. This might be interesting to watch, but I am supposed to be reading a story, not watching a zebra getting torn apart by lions. Any commas that jerk me around will cause me to be a little miffed.

Basically? Look over your commas. You’re putting them in the wrong places.

Originality: 10/20

So! The reason why I picked the writing prompt was because you could do so many things with it and I wanted to see what exactly you did with it. The quirkier and more offbeat it was, the better. :) You got points for having it be Poe... I completely forgot that writers could be great! And the whole imp writing poetry for Poe was interesting too. The main thing that lost you points here was you really didn’t make the imp very original, nor did you back it up with enough description to give us a feeling about where everything was. And yes, there are no formal categories that say, “Description” but I expect to have a feeling as to where this place exists.

Creativity: 6/20

Basically, in creativity, I wanted to see what you would do to make this writing prompt your own. Unfortunately, as you probably guessed, the majority of your writing wasn’t actually your own, and that’s what killed you here. :P That is, you can post entire poems in your story, yes, but if it’s just a block of Poe without any of your writing in it, it’s not very creative. Mind you, you did break it up a little, but only a little. The first part is why you got the points you did.

Internal Conflict: 3/15

Okay. She’s dead. He gets dictation from an imp and writes. The mental anguish of Poe’s and his suffering is completely neglected and narrative indicates that Poe thinks more of the imp’s ability as a gain rather than an outpouring of his soul. I did feel sorry for the imp though. He had to live with Poe. :P

External Conflict: 2/15

You get points because the thought of an imp whispering into an ear is awesome. Otherwise, there was no real external conflict. Just big blocks of poem and Poe saying, “Oh, wow, you’re awesome!”

Historical Accuracy: 5/5

Yay! Free gimme points! :D

Characters: 10/20

You would think that since I ranted about the conflicts that I hated the characters. But actually, I find the relationship between Poe and the imp intriguing and I really like the imp. Yes, there was no conflict and, because of that Poe was totally cardboard. But you definitely had intriguing concepts here.

So there’s your review! :D

Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:43 pm
Kylan wrote a review...

Jared -

I didn't like this. I realize you were more or less forced into writing this, and that this is probably your first draft and I also realize that the prompt is pretty ridiculous, as well :wink:. So I'm sort of curious why you decided to post this here, instead of sending it to Snoink in private or something. It's rough and it's mostly a rehash of Poe's Annabell Lee, put to story form. There's nothing remotely original about it. The dialogue is flat and Poe is portrayed as weepy and weak (which could be true -- I don't know). You've most definately written better things.

Personally, I would drop this. But if you wanted to pursue it, I would inject a little more reality into Poe. Have him drinking his brains out; he did that a lot, right? Describe the setting. Is the ink leaving streaks on his fingers? How does he feel? Is this room candlelit? I would work on making the 'imp' a little more vague and less tangible -- more a figment of his imagination than a reality. Poe was an exceedingly dark person by nature. You haven't described him like that. You've described him as a heart sick romantic. This kind of story has only one purpose, and that is to convey an idea. When the idea is wishy-washy, then the whole shebang flops.

I skimmed through Llama Boy, too. Snoink's quiki-writes may be helping you, but they're more like sketches than real stories. I would use things like this as an exercise, and keep it under wraps on your hard-drive. Use things like this as metaphorical stretching before the big race (or the big story), instead of treating them seriously and posting them here.

As always, PM for any questions. Or if you just want to chat.

-Kylan

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:53 pm
Warrior Princess wrote a review...

Hey, this is great stuff! I can't really find anything to nitpick so instead I shall praise your creativity. I love "Annabel Lee," but I would have never thought about it this way. You capture the emotion Poe probably felt when writing this poem very well. Just one thing: you might consider explaining about the imp a little more. We aren't really told where he came from or much about him. But still, this is great. I can't wait to read more.

Edgar Allen Poe rocks, doesn't he? :D

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:38 pm
peanut19 says...

Hey Bear. Wonderful job. I have read Edgar Allen Poe's poems many times but would have never thought to write about him writing them this way.
~peanut~

You're a hairy, wizard!
— EllieMae